What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Saying it now. Wembanyama is the best prospect since Lebron.

He's a 7'-4" cheat code. If you could merge KD and Gobert, Wemby is what would be spit out.
take away the injury concerns as a guy his size, and i might say he's a better prospect than lebron was at that age. i was absolutely blown away - but this isn't just a one game thing. he's being playing great basketball in the early season so far across the pond.

Tanking just became much harder, there’s going to be serious competition for the worst record. Better hope Zanik sees the light and trades some of the vets.

'To the spoiled goes the Victor.'

I hope we don't end up sounding like a bunch of Knick fans who think they're getting Zion. There's no point overly obsessing about Wembanyama when you have to win the lottery to draft him. In the meantime, there are other players in this draft worth tanking for.

take away the injury concerns as a guy his size, and i might say he's a better prospect than lebron was at that age. i was absolutely blown away - but this isn't just a one game thing. he's being playing great basketball in the early season so far across the pond.
For perspective I saw Evan Mobley play live several times in high school when he was playing for Rancho Christian and Compton Magic in SoCal as my son's teams played against them. Mobley was/is a great athlete, could block shots, knock down the mid range, facilitate a bit from the post and an excellent perimeter defender for a big man. With that said I have never seen anything like what Wemby was doing last night on both ends of the court. Honestly looked like he was built in a lab. When Lebron was playing in high school at SVSM in Akron you got the same vibe that he was breaking the mold. It will definitely come down to health. Ralph Sampson back in the day also looked like the next coming, albeit wasn't nearly at Wemby's level, but of course couldn't stay healthy similar to what may be happening with Chet in OKC.

It kind of sucks only one team will get him but I guess thats the nature of the lottery. Even the worst team only has a 14% chance. Bill Simmons tweeted that the jazz will go 0-82, than the jazz proceeded to Portland on the road. Dont know what caused him to tweet this but this roster is much better as it stands than what he thinks it is.

It kind of sucks only one team will get him but I guess thats the nature of the lottery. Even the worst team only has a 14% chance. Bill Simmons tweeted that the jazz will go 0-82, than the jazz proceeded to Portland on the road. Dont know what caused him to tweet this but this roster is much better as it stands than what he thinks it is.
Cuz Utah is the team that has made the most recent moves to get worse compared to anyone else.

It's wild that a player actually exist that is both Kevin Durant and Rudy Gobert
at different times last night, i thought i was watching a clone of each guy. that little 15 foot turnaround jumper from the elbow over Mika was so reminiscent of KD it's scary. the rudy comps are just so obvious - he will be impactful protecting the rim from day one. the one area where he doesn't touch Rudy (keeping in mind he's just 18) is rebounding. Rudy's a great rebounder (and always has been) and that's one area of VW's game that lags behind other aspects of his game such as shooting and shot blocking.

Super dumb thing I have noticed on two straight wemby videos/games. He starts the game with no tape around his knee... it might be a small support brace but looks like tape... then in game he gets it taped. Its just like the little support band under the knee cap for tendinitis or jumper's knee.

He's amazing... you have to take him #1... but I'd hire all the smartest medical people I could to understand the stress that he puts his body through and at very least to start having an idea of what a maintenance schedule would be like for him. He could end up totally fine... but I'd take his first couple years and be overly conservative as you help him build out his body in the best way possible.

Scoot is exciting as hell. Shades of stronger John Wall (who if he didn't have the nonsense or catastrophic injuries would have been great), now some are throwing some CP type stuff as well... Give me either dude and I'm over the moon.

If we can't get those guys... I'm still happy getting whatever guy rises to the top in college this year... based on the prospects hanging around it will be a wing player (Amen is a pg but he's also got great size for a wing so still a wing to me).

I will not rest easy... we must tank the eff outta this B.

The players might... I am not sure the fans can appreciate him more than we did.

It will be interesting watching Minny and Cleveland this year.
You forget there was a portion of the fanbase who thought Gobert was overrated, people like Elizah Huge exist.

Also when I went to Spurs/Jazz games, every Utah fan was wearing a Mitchell jersey, like at best there would be 1 Gobert for every 9 Mitchell jerseys.

You forget there was a portion of the fanbase who thought Gobert was overrated, people like Elizah Huge exist.

Also when I went to Spurs/Jazz games, every Utah fan was wearing a Mitchell jersey, like at best there would be 1 Gobert for every 9 Mitchell jerseys.
Well... my love for him will never die.

Locke had some interesting comments on his pod. Said the Victor/Scoot game is going to go down as one of the most important games in basketball history. Two of the best prospects getting huge ratings and neither are in college. This could be the start of the "Death" of college basketball.

My wet dream would be to draft Victor then once Rudy's contract is done w/ the Wolves we sign him. Rudy/Victor front-court would be glorious.
How about drafting Wemby and then using the draft capital to acquire Nickeil's cousin? Maybe Boston does Danny a favor and sends Jaylen Brown this way for a haul of players/picks? Could Phoenix decide to blow it up down the road?

Lots of potential tasty options but the Jazz need to land "the franchise" guy first.

Kinda crazy but WV was born on 1/4/2004. If he were born 4 days earlier he would've been eligible for the '22 draft and likely playing for the Orlando Magic right now.

It’d be very exciting to have either one. But looking way ahead, Wemby definitely seems way more likely to enjoy Utah and stick around. Scoot has a vibe that he’d be trying to leave from day one, he wants the biggest spotlight possible.

Doesn’t matter right now though. Lottery draw night is going to be huge. If we haven’t done everything we can to be in the best position that night then the team can go to hell.

The players might... I am not sure the fans can appreciate him more than we did.

It will be interesting watching Minny and Cleveland this year.

We got guys listening to Wolves pods and are Wolves fans now that’s how much people are obsessed with him. Literally guys buying league pass to watch the Wolves. No other fan base is doing that.