What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I was sort of daydreaming for a moment late yesterday and had a weird thought. "Is it possible that Brandon Miller isn't even the best Miller in this draft?" What about Leonard?

No... just no.

That was not a great draft so that is not saying much
We don't know what this draft actually is either.

And when does the fact that he's 20 and one of the oldest players in a children's league enter into your assessment?

We don't know what this draft actually is either.

And when does the fact that he's 20 and one of the oldest players in a children's league enter into your assessment?
Really, he is 20 is your argument? Come on, dude. That is weak. What is your assessment of Shaedon Sharp going into his draft? If we thought like you no high school players would have ever been drafted, because they play against ****** competition.

Really, he is 20 is your argument? Come on, dude. That is weak. What is your assessment of Shaedon Sharp going into his draft? If we thought like you no high school players would have ever been drafted, because they play against ****** competition.
And there have been a lot of high school players that busted and there's a reason why one-and-done came into being.

In any league, it is relevant to point out the age difference of 19 and 20. In the case of this league, Amen chooses to play as a man in a league of boys which is not the case with high school players (though he is still playing against players of high school age which I do think is worthy of remarking).

Ja was playing as the youngest in a level of competition that was at all understood. The opposite is the case with the Thompsons. That doesn't mean they can't be successful, what it does mean is we know especially little about how their skills will translate to the pros. This is probably the biggest reason that one-and-done will continue.

And there have been a lot of high school players that busted and there's a reason why one-and-done came into being.

In any league, it is relevant to point out the age difference of 19 and 20. In the case of this league, Amen is a man amongst boys which can not be said of high school players.
It goes both ways though. You cannot be so sure the other way. We both don't know what is going to happen. I'm am definitely not as concerned as you and HH are. I think with their work ethic, they are way more likely to be positive prospects than negative.

There's also a chance he can't shoot well enough to be a starter level player.

LOL at a longer Ja... even as bad of a shooter as Ja is... at 20 years old he was in the nba shooting 33.5% from three and 77.6 from the line... as a 19 year old he was 24 and 10 in college while shooting 36/81 from 3 and the line.

Amen put up 16 and 6 while shooting 23% from 3 and 65% from the line... as a 20 year old... against HS kids.

I am fine with him as a prospect but we need to calm the hell down... not nearly as good a prospect as Ja.
When I say Ja I really didn’t explain it well he’s as athletic and skilled, maybe even more athletic we will find out next season. But he could learn to shoot over 30% from three. Not like it’s a rare occurrence in the NBA. I didn’t say he was Ja, but has the tools to be like him athletically.

He has tools but is apparently a gambler and not like some lock down guy... Ja gets some steals too. I would project him to be a better defender but we have no idea.

He is still a good prospect but there is a reason he will go 4th or 5th where Ja was a no brainer second pick. The aren't similar level prospects imo.
We have no idea if the 6'6 guy is going to be the better defender?

I like him okay. I think he got early hype then just kinda faded. The defense is pretty bad and he doesn't do much of anything other than shoot. Still the size and shooting combo is worth a bet at #16 imo. I like him better there than when some had him projected top 10. I also like guys with nba pedigree.
He was playing injured for most of the 2nd half of the season so it isn't a surprise that he would struggle. He definitely showed some really nice flashes early in the season though and you have to love his size for a wing.

We have no idea if the 6'6 guy is going to be the better defender?
Like I said we think he will but it isn't like you can project him as an amazing defender based on who he has played against and because he is tall and athletic. Wiggins was an *** defender for a long time. He has the tools but my understanding is the defense may not be great right now as he gambles a lot vs. having great technique. There are wild assumptions that he is some sort of Ben Simmons defender and not sure what they can base that on.

Comparing Amen to Ja and Ben Simmons right now is similar to when folks were throwing out wild **** on Exum... like 6-7 Tony Parker or Penny Hardaway BS. They are a mystery box... they are really great mystery boxes... and I get it but I think folks should probably chill a bit.

I actually disagree with you on this. I think Ja is obviously a better shooter coming in, but I do think it is a fine comp. I think both of the twins will surprise you on shooting percentages in the next few years.
That is fine. I like them as prospects. Would take Ausar at 9 no problem. Amen I am likely going to have 5th but I get it. The shooting is pretty rough and i don't just assume that gets better with time. I think they are workers but that's the thing... they are working on it a lot right now as they aren't going to class or have those obligations... so I wouldn't just assume some "newbie gains" when they get to the league.

Shooting is just so damn critical.

What are Wembys numbers/stats?

Just scroll down a bit
Those are pretty good numbers although I absolutely hate the efficiency. 46.5 % from the field for a guy his size is pretty bad. 30% from three isn't good. (is the three point line closer in europe?) 51.6 EFG isn't good. His free throw shooting is great but he doesn't get to the line enough. Also feel like he should be getting more rebounds. Defensive rating is poor.

Imagine if the Lakers end the 26/27 season with the best record of teams that don't make the playoffs so they go into the lottery at #14. Then they win one of the top four picks in the lottery, so they keep their 1-4 pick in the first round and we get #44 in the second round. People have falsely said it is guaranteed to be #5-34, but that is not true. When your first round pick moves up in the lottery, your second round pick does not so we simply know it will be #5-44. That could be a really nice pick in the 5-*10 range, but it has a much higher chance of actually not being very good at all.

Imagine if the Lakers end the 26/27 season with the best record of teams that don't make the playoffs so they go into the lottery at #14. Then they win one of the top four picks in the lottery, so they keep their 1-4 pick in the first round and we get #44 in the second round. People have falsely said it is guaranteed to be #5-34, but that is not true. When your first round pick moves up in the lottery, your second round pick does not so we simply know it will be #5-44. That could be a really nice pick in the 5-*10 range, but it has a much higher chance of actually not being very good at all.
Good lord shut up

Those are pretty good numbers although I absolutely hate the efficiency. 46.5 % from the field for a guy his size is pretty bad. 30% from three isn't good. (is the three point line closer in europe?) 51.6 EFG isn't good. His free throw shooting is great but he doesn't get to the line enough. Also feel like he should be getting more rebounds. Defensive rating is poor.
Just stop

you're not wrong, but keep in mind he's 18 playing against grown men.

Last edited:
Or they tank their faces off and land #2 in lotto odds and three teams leap frog them and they give us the 5th pick.