What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Alright... one more deal... three team deal with Dallas and Atlanta.

Dallas out - Bertans/McGee, #10
Dallas in - John Collins and #16

Utah out - KO and #28, #16
Utah in - #15, #10 and Bertans/McGee

Atlanta out - Collins and #15
Atlanta in - KO and #28

We end up with 9, 10, 15 Bertans and McGee are obviously really gross. Feels like we give up too much but if we landed a Ausar/Walker/Hendricks at 9 we can then grab the leftover pg from Wallace/Black and pick your favorite upside play at 15. Its too good for Dallas tbh so maybe they hit us with a **** ton of seconds.

Atlanta needs more value for Collins than that.

Atlanta needs more value for Collins than that.
I don't think they do... they have tried to move him and passed... and passed... and passed. Holding out for more. Well next year they are $10M over the tax as they sit... before filling out the roster. They also have a ton of committed salary and need to re-up Murray. Clearing Collins 3/80ish M while getting a cheap one year placeholder in the rotation is ideal... and the price of moving back 13 spots in the draft is doable. Its a great deal for them and if they had better than that they would have done it already.

I don't think they do... they have tried to move him and passed... and passed... and passed. Holding out for more. Well next year they are $10M over the tax as they sit... before filling out the roster. They also have a ton of committed salary and need to re-up Murray. Clearing Collins 3/80ish M while getting a cheap one year placeholder in the rotation is ideal... and the price of moving back 13 spots in the draft is doable. Its a great deal for them and if they had better than that they would have done it already.
Atlanta losing 14M in salary between the difference in KO and Collins and the picks is substantial. The long term ramifications of getting off of Collins money is enormous for them. Remember what they got in return for Heurter last year? this is far better.

There are going to be teams drafting in front of his pick wishing they had drafted Cason instead. The team that drafts him will undoubtedly miss on someone better.
Lol, this definitely feels correct.

I’m a little underwhelmed with him at #9, but not for any real reason. I’m sure he’d be a nice player for us, which makes it a good pick.

Watching the Heat, I have to give @Ferguson_Mellochill his props for his best draft call in Bam Adebayo. I was super anti-Bam that year because the only thing I considered was the college tape. Ferguson saw the upside in him from the HS tape.

He could handle and push the ball in HS and AAU. I didn't know much of that would translate to the NBA. I just thought, here's this 6'10, 240-lb, athletic specimen who defends, runs the floor and finishes well at the rim. He also showed he had a jumper. I thought he should be at least as good as Drummond.

A big who can create with the ball from the high post really opens up the floor. It creates scenarios that are tough to defend.

Since this board is inevitably going to have a lot of people mad, confused, sad, angry, horny, violent, etc (basically every emotion), I will do my best to explain each and shed light on why some are higher than others who are more "consensus" higher on other boards. Also this board has nothing to do with the Jazz, it's just who I think are the best players.

1. No explanation needed
  2. Amen has the 2nd highest upside in the class IMO. Him measuring at nearly 220 w/ a 7' wingspan drove it home for me. Ideal wing size with 1% athleticism and vision/feel.
  3. Scoot is the next best athlete and is a potential legit #1 option who can be a top guard defender.
  4. Brandon Miller had the best college production and has ideal size for the wing w/ all the necessary intagibles that teams look for. Probably my least confident ranking and could easily see him being #2, but the high athletic upside of the previous 2 make it hard for me to put him over.
  5. Ausar Thompson. This is kind of me hedging my bet on Amen by putting him below Brandon Miller. Just a slightly less impressive athlete with a less impressive overall game.
  6. Jarace Walker: The defensive upside and versatility is incredible and I see the offensive flashes that make me giddy for his overall potential. Gets the nod over Whitmore/GG because I trust his defensive versatility more than their offensive games.
  7. GG Jackson: Ideal body and athleticism without being the freak the guys ahead of him are. Has some of the best footwork while being the youngest. I see him as a blank slate more than others do.
  8. Cam Whitmore: Barely below GG. Is the more nuclear athlete, but I dont think he is as smooth as GG and doesnt have the plus size. Just below GG by a smidgen
  9. Kobe Bufkin: I think this is where the drop in the draft is. I could see everyone 2-7 being the 2nd best player in the draft. I can't see Bufkin being the 2nd best player in the draft. I love his overall game though. Does a bit of everything well, solid size, well rounded athlete, young for class, not a lot of weaknesses. Ahead of Cason/Black because I think they both have more flaws while not being overwhelmingly stronger than him in any area.
  10. Dariq Whitehead I buy the HS film and I buy that his shot was pretty as hell despite him dealing with the foot injuries. Also has the extremely young for class thing going on with him. I'm not a doctor so I dont pretend to have any knowledge about his surgeries. Also measured bigger than my eyes thought, so he got a boost there for me.
  11. Derrick Lively We all just saw how impactful Walker Kessler was this past year as a dominant college shot blocker. Lively's defense is insane and his vertical ability makes him a viable threat offensively while the other areas of his game that had people hyped fill out. I dont necessarily believe in those things, but the defense and lob threat potential is enough for me to have him here and the fact that some do is some bonus cream on top.
  12. Cason Wallace A lot of the same stuff from Bufkin applies to Wallace, but I think Wallace is just a bit more flawed with his tendency for passiveness and questionable self-creation. I do like the overall game manager vibes and I do believe in his defense/intangibles. Ahead of Black because I think he makes more sense and is more projectable while Black has more risk. It's close between him and Black and some days I'm more a Black guy and some days more a Cason guy
  13. Anthony Black Even though his "functional" length is basically the same as Cason's, I do think there is value in head height for seeing over the defense and just generally operating in the paint once you get in there. All that being said, his tendency for passiveness and self-confidence issues in his shot turn me off. Tall PGs also often feel like a pie in the sky hope and the added height just makes it harder for them to take care of the ball and get your offense going efficiently so they become more off-ball secondary creators.
  14. Gradey Dick Tall with decent length/athleticism and an excellent shooter. Seems to have higher intangibles and secondary skills than some of the other shooters in the class. Was basically the only good Freshman in the Big 12 and I think that means something.
  15. Leonard Miller I love his floor as a hustle/energy big who can push in transition. Rebounding typically translates. I wish I had more of a feel for his defensive quality. I admittedly don't at this point. Do I believe in the high upside version of him? Not so much. He's ahead of Hendricks at this point because I value what his floor brings along over Hendricks as a floor spacing shooting 4.
  16. Taylor Hendricks I just don't see the high upside others see. I like the jump shot, but offensively I don't see anything else all that special. His measurements put a further damper on his future prospects of being stronger in the paint at the NBA level. His legs are a bit skinny to me. Don't see a great deal of feel. Think the perimeter defense is overrated. Solid floor player.
  17. Jaime Jaquez Just a big Jaquez fan. Think he has some sneaky upside as a scorer that he doesnt get credit for because of his age. To me he's kind of like what I want GG Jackson to develop into, he just doesnt have the standout physical abilities GG does. I would also say this is another inflection point for my big board. So 1, 2-8, 9-16. 17 and on.
  18. Jett Howard A big shooter. Didnt do much else (which is why he is below Dick, just didnt display the intagibles Dick did), but he's a big shooter with NBA pedigree. Had injuries to both ankles that dampened his season. He's above a guy like Hawkins because of the size disparity.
  19. Bobi Klintman Love the tools and upside at his size and fluidity. Above Sidy because of the size difference and the fact that I think he has more creation upside where I see Sidy more of a connector.
  20. Brandin Podziemski Love his game and the way he plays. Does a bit of everything on the court and really impacts the game. Wish his shooting was a bit more on the elite side (like if he had a 85%+ from the FT line), but overall I believe his game can translate. Defensively could be an issue as he is too slow to guard most starting PG's and his size isnt great to guard 2's, but he makes up for lack of size with reboudning and smart help D. Above JHS because I like the creativity/shooting more than I like JHS"s increased man D.
Wow. That truly is impressive. I dont agree with Hendricks at 16, but at least you put in the effort. Me personally i would skip everyone 9 through 14. I want wings. Just me. I want a whole team 6'6" to 6'10" perferrably all who can dribble, pass and shoot really well.

Watching the Heat remind me so much that draft number are not necessary reflecting the quality of the players. I trust DA and his team to scoot the right guys.

Wow. That truly is impressive. I dont agree with Hendricks at 16, but at least you put in the effort. Me personally i would skip everyone 9 through 14. I want wings. Just me. I want a whole team 6'6" to 6'10" perferrably all who can dribble, pass and shoot really well.
Whitehead and Dick are wings tho...

Wallace and Hendrix should be higher on our list than Dick

Agreed. Dick isn’t even an option to me. It’s those two, Black and Walker for me if we’re not moving up and one is there. Personally my gut tells me Black is soft which scares me. IMO, Cason just moves with an NBA confidence and seems to understand running **** and spacing and UK has had really good pg success in the NBA over the last decade or so which is appealing. I guess what scares me is his stats didn’t jump out in any way. Not sure if anyone can chime in on Cason talk

Walker scares me because he just looks like a thicker Ben Wallace without the explosive verticality. Hendricks is much better in that regard and is a much more natural shooter imo.

So I too lean Hendricks or Cason. I do wonder if we could go Hendricks at 9 and then package 16, 28, and a couple 2nds to move up to around 12 and maybe snag Cason there.