What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

The highlights are amazing. Some of the lowlights are shocking. He didn't show lowlights that bad with Team USA or in high school. His interviews and the attitude he conveys are going to be critical for him.

I heard that UNC had used up their scholarships and that this was a main reason he de-committed. Not sure if this is the real story.
Hard to believe any team would tell the #1 recruit in the country "lol, we whoopsied and you are the person that doesn't get a scholarship. Tootles!" If they did say that, it's because they actually turned him down because of his red flags and people are citing a clerical error to save face for everybody.

The GG highlights arent even that good to me. It's just a bunch of ISO scoring. If it was iso scoring with playmaking or iso scoring with elite defense that'd be one thing, but it's basically just iso scoring.

He showed some advanced stuff with the ball handling too. Snaking the PnR, change of pace, etc. The competition might be great, but he's clearly thinking on his toes and making quick decisions. Maybe this never becomes a part of his NBA game and maybe his shooting never materializes, but his offensive game isn't barren. Reading up on him, everyone describes him as "raw". Might be true but he shows a lot of promise and I'm expecting a rapid development.

I'm also a sucker for someone who can jump off of either foot, I think it gives a huge advantage. He is very right hand dominant, but he elevates easily off of either foot which allows for those smooth finishes. He's the level of athlete where if he doesn't completely suck at basketball he will be good.
His lightness on his feet and the speed which he moves at his size stands out. That wingspan 7'3" is crazy. Durant is 7'4". He could be a gem. All of the French players except Victor are undervalued.

Last edited:
Hard to believe any team would tell the #1 recruit in the country "lol, we whoopsied and you are the person that doesn't get a scholarship. Tootles!" If they did say that, it's because they actually turned him down because of his red flags and people are citing a clerical error to save face for everybody.
He was being recruited by North Carolina for their 2023 class. When he decommitted he had not reclassified for the 2022 class yet. From what I can find North Carolina had already used their 4 available scholarships for the 22 class. As a 17yr old kid I think it made sense for him to stay local at South Carolina to have his family around him. Also probably every major program had already used there 2022 scholarships by then.

I tried to call it out in the other thread and you downvoted me....
Like everyone else, I make mistakes. I made one at the end of last night’s thread and that is gut-wrenching for me. This downvote will weigh heavily and cause sleepless nights as I strive to be the best keyboard warrior I can be.

He was being recruited by North Carolina for their 2023 class. When he decommitted he had not reclassified for the 2022 class yet. From what I can find North Carolina had already used their 4 available scholarships for the 22 clase. As a 17yr old kid I think it made sense for him to stay local at South Carolina to have his family around him.
He had his choice of schools brother. He went to the school where he could do whatever he wants.

The GG highlights arent even that good to me. It's just a bunch of ISO scoring. If it was iso scoring with playmaking or iso scoring with elite defense that'd be one thing, but it's basically just iso scoring.

Yup...he doesn't have elite physical tools either. If you compare him to the guys you would consider 3's in this draft, they are more athletic and mostly longer than him. Comparing him to 4's, he's just small and not exactly more athletic than them.

If it was a Jaden McDaniels situation where he's going to have both the size and athleticism advantage over most guys in the NBA he matches up with that would be one thing, but GG is on the wrong end of that equation. I feel like GG may have been a matchup nightmare during his youth career but it just doesn't hold up at the higher levels.