What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Maybe I should say fat = underrated. You're absolutely right about genetics and holding onto weight. I think people are too quick to call (relatively) fat players unathletic and maybe overrate players that are more lean. There are a bunch of players who are better off with extra lbs instead of being leaner. But there are certainly guys that did change their body composition and got better for it. Jokic and Draymond come to mind immediately.
Seems like it's mostly a big man thing for the dudes who weigh an absolute ton because most of their careers it's probably been a benefit, but it just got a bit out of hand.

What year did Jokic's physique improve the most? Many would still consider him "fat" by NBA standards.

*searched it for myself, and yeah, that's a pretty good example.
K love is another, but fat KLove was still good.

I think Sensabaugh may be more like Lowry... Like he will always be a thicc boi... but you want to drop some of the bad weight and it will help stay healthy and be a bit more explosive. Its like a 15-20 lbs of bad weight... or tightening that stuff up like Julius Randle. I think it is easier for dudes to lose a little bit of weight than to gain good weight.

I think Sensabaugh may be more like Lowry... Like he will always be a thicc boi... but you want to drop some of the bad weight and it will help stay healthy and be a bit more explosive. Its like a 15-20 lbs of bad weight... or tightening that stuff up like Julius Randle. I think it is easier for dudes to lose a little bit of weight than to gain good weight.
See, I think it's probably more like 5-10 lbs of bad weight.

Seems like it's mostly a big man thing for the dudes who weigh an absolute ton because most of their careers it's probably been a benefit, but it just got a bit out of hand.
Gasol is another that came to mind. It fits your theory a bit.

See, I think it's probably more like 5-10 lbs of bad weight.
If it were just 10 lbs of fat then maybe… but it’s likely 10 lbs of fat would accompany 5 or more pounds of other stuff. I think there are degrees with this stuff but 10 lbs of bad weight would likely help the guy move better and be a touch more explosive.

Id have to see him in person to really make an assessment. These guys are generally in insane shape so seeing them on tv next to each other doesn’t paint a perfect picture.

It’s like Harden. Once he played himself in shape he was generally a better player. I’m guessing that was a 5-15 lb swing most years. If Sensabaugh came into the combine and was already in better shape (at least superficially) I bet he’d sneak up draft boards a bit.

He’s at the right weight, probably just needs to replace a little fat with muscle. I think you’re right though. It’s easier for the heavier guys to get to their ideal weight than it is for (most of) the skinny guys to carry enough weight.

I think there are a lot of guys in the NBA who would be more effective with more weight, but it’s hard to keep the weight on while playing professional basketball at that size.

He’s at the right weight, probably just needs to replace a little fat with muscle. I think you’re right though. It’s easier for the heavier guys to get to their ideal weight than it is for (most of) the skinny guys to carry enough weight.

I think there are a lot of guys in the NBA who would be more effective with more weight, but it’s hard to keep the weight on while playing professional basketball at that size.
Yeah without having numbers or measurements we are all guessing. I actually would settle on 5 total lbs lost (if we are guessing) with some body re-composition... I would rather guys be lighter even if it means a slight loss of muscle.

Being 80 pounds overweight and jumping 4 feet makes it impossible for your connective tissue to hold up.
The dieting isn't the problem. Its the total force he puts on his lower body. I think the injuries also hurt as he is obviously less active in those times. He needs to really watch what he is eating especially when he is hurt. I'm guessing there are plenty of non-essential calories in there that aren't helping his connective tissues that he could cut.

The dieting isn't the problem. Its the total force he puts on his lower body. I think the injuries also hurt as he is obviously less active in those times. He needs to really watch what he is eating especially when he is hurt. I'm guessing there are plenty of non-essential calories in there that aren't helping his connective tissues that he could cut.
If you are losing weight your tissues/tendons will suffer regardless, especially if you are losing a lot of it

Charles Barkley and Shaq played great and both were clearly overweight.
Early in their careers both were in pretty great shape. Both players changed their games late in their careers which is when they put weight on. Both were also durable… Zion has showed his weight and body ain’t working right now.

Zion is one of a billion. Maybe one of seven billion. I wouldn’t use him as a comparison point for anyone, and he’s hardly the only player with injury issues. Jon Issac is a beanpole and he can’t stay healthy either. Some guys just can’t stay healthy no matter what their body composition is.

Certainly would not consider myself an expert trainer, but I do think people are overplay the “fat” angle with Zion and its role in his injuries. The idea that he would just be fine if he lost weight isn’t correct imo, and Saint is probably onto something with the constant dieting. When you’re on a deficit, recovery is worse. That’s just biology and even though Zion is an alien it applies to him too.

If you are losing weight your tissues/tendons will suffer regardless, especially if you are losing a lot of it
Look… all I know is I’ve played the sport 20lbs heavy at times and my knees, feet and back suffer. I’m sure there are good foods and training he can do to help his tendons and such while he is reducing his weight. However it happens he needs to take more force off his lower body or I doubt he stays healthy long enough to impact things. Maybe there are other things… like the way he walks that indicate there are other imbalances… but his current plan ain’t working.

Zion is one of a billion. Maybe one of seven billion. I wouldn’t use him as a comparison point for anyone, and he’s hardly the only player with injury issues. Jon Issac is a beanpole and he can’t stay healthy either. Some guys just can’t stay healthy no matter what their body composition is.

Certainly would not consider myself an expert trainer, but I do think people are overplay the “fat” angle with Zion and its role in his injuries. The idea that he would just be fine if he lost weight isn’t correct imo, and Saint is probably onto something with the constant dieting. When you’re on a deficit, recovery is worse. That’s just biology and even though Zion is an alien it applies to him too.
What evidence do we have that he is on a deficit? He lost some weight over the summer but let’s not act like his body is dwindling away. Were his previous injuries during times where he was cutting?

It may be a factor but many dudes have credited losing weight with allowing them to stay healthy… shooting from the hip CP (went vegan and lost a few pounds) and Tim Duncan (dropped weight late in his career when his knees were not doing well).

Skinny people can get hurt too… doesn’t mean weight isn’t a contributing factor with guys like Zion. NO was concerned with his weight… guessing his diet is not ideal.