What's new

Any interest in Dragan Bender next summer?

At the right price, sure. I think he'd develop well here. He can really shoot it for his size and I think he'd fit in well. But price may be an issue.

I also fear if Mirotic keeps up a high level of play, he is going to get way overpaid due to contract year phenomenon. I really don't want Mirotic at 25 million a year.

What's the alternative? The blue chips are not going to sign here, whereas the best Euro players are attracted to our franchise because they know they will get touches and be developed.

Mitchell, Gobert, Mirotic, Ingles, Rubio + the Jazz bench could be a top 5 offense. Is Mirotic bad enough to drop us out of the top 10 in defense? No. So we would be top 10 on both ends, and potentially top 5.

What's the alternative? The blue chips are not going to sign here, whereas the best Euro players are attracted to our franchise because they know they will get touches and be developed.

Mitchell, Gobert, Mirotic, Ingles, Rubio + the Jazz bench could be a top 5 offense. Is Mirotic bad enough to drop us out of the top 10 in defense? No. So we would be top 10 on both ends, and potentially top 5.

What I'd like to see is if Niang can bring 85-90% of what Mirotic would... we could address other areas of need.

How good does the stretch 4 need to be? Would we be better off getting a wing or more dynamic PG? Like maybe it'd be better to have DM, Ingles, OP Jr., Niang, Gobert or Kemba, DM, Ingles, Niang, Gobert

Is Ricky, DM, Ingles, Niko, Rudy that much better than if Niang was the starter? Niang is getting up 8.2 3 pt. attempts per 36 minutes - and shooting an unsustainable 55%. Niko is getting up 8.8 attempts and shooting 41%.

I just think we need to get bigger sample of playing small ball 4s with the starters. Niko might not be necessary.

Let’s be crystal clear here:

OP Jr >>>> Niko

and they may end up making very similar $$

As if we have other areas of need.......

We have to go from good to great... tough leap to make. Ricky is good but there may be great options out there. Not just pgs... we could go without a traditional point and add another wing. Ingles is flexible and DM can handle some of the PG duties. Our system doesn’t need the traditional pg.

Let’s be crystal clear here:

OP Jr >>>> Niko

and they may end up making very similar $$

Washington is toxic... I just hope they wait until after January 15th to move Porter... that is when Favs can be moved and we’d have a decent package to offer.

If I was them I’d be calling Phoenix and Orlando and offering wall... his contract becomes a millstone soon.

Washington is toxic... I just hope they wait until after January 15th to move Porter... that is when Favs can be moved and we’d have a decent package to offer.

If I was them I’d be calling Phoenix and Orlando and offering wall... his contract becomes a millstone soon.
The Jazz don't have much to give them. Why would they want Favors when they have Howard? They can't afford Favors option next year at 18 million.

The best thing they could give them is Favors, Jae, and a first round pick. Do they really want that? And do the Jazz want that if they think they have a chance at Harris or Middleton using their cap-space next season?

I'd rather give a shot at Justin Patton. Bender showed he was nothing but trash. Patton never got the chance to show what he could do under thibadeau

The Jazz don't have much to give them. Why would they want Favors when they have Howard? They can't afford Favors option next year at 18 million.

The best thing they could give them is Favors, Jae, and a first round pick. Do they really want that? And do the Jazz want that if they think they have a chance at Harris or Middleton using their cap-space next season?
Isn't it possible that Washington might be interested in cap-clearing moves? Might not Favors and Burks have value for them for this reason? (Not to mention that they might still help them into the playoffs this year).

We'd have to give them a pick, too, obviously. At least one first-rounder.

Justin Patton looks like he could be a good backup big. He can shoot with some range. For some reason the T'wolves aren't picking up his option. He was in the same draft as Mitchell.

We could do a trade with Washington if we took Mahinmi ($16 million this year and next). Something like....

Favors, Burks, Thabo and Bradley
for
Otto Porter Jr and Mahinmi

JAZZ PROS: We are more of a contender because our starting lineup is better. Our future is brighter.
JAZZ CONS: We lose good locker room guys. We lose vet depth. We don't have any cap space until 2020 or 2021.

WIZ PROS: They shed Mahinmi's 2019-20 $16 million and deal Porter's $55+ million for 2019-20 and 2020-21. Since they save money, they can keep Oubre. They get out of the luxury with another very minor move. They provide more quality depth for a playoff run.
WIZ CONS: Porter is the best player in the deal.

I think both teams would do this deal if the Jazz like Porter that much.

No no a thousand times no.

I saw him at Vegas summer league and I do believe he looked like the lowest ball IQ on the court. He was forcing and clanking shots.

Thats not to say he may draw interest from bottom-dweller teams that want to experiment with a stretch 4 to park out on the corner 3 if he could ever figure out how to shoot, but don't expect him to do much of anything else on offense.

He would not fit in the Jazz offense

Isn't it possible that Washington might be interested in cap-clearing moves? Might not Favors and Burks have value for them for this reason? (Not to mention that they might still help them into the playoffs this year).

We'd have to give them a pick, too, obviously. At least one first-rounder.
Sure, but I guess I just think other teams can probably give more or offer more of a salary dump (like taking Mahini) and/or the Jazz just don't want to give up stuff if they think they can sign someone in free agency instead.

Sure, but I guess I just think other teams can probably give more or offer more of a salary dump (like taking Mahini) and/or the Jazz just don't want to give up stuff if they think they can sign someone in free agency instead.
Tony Jones reported that the jazz had serious interest in Middleton. But perhaps with the success Milwaukee is having this year, he’ll be harder to get.

Dunno.

The interest the FO has in OP Jr seems well-known enough.... It’s hard not to speculate.

Prior to that 2016 draft i was the lone voice in the wilderness proclaiming him to be a bust- i think i said i wouldn't even take him in the lottery. All the bust signs were there.

Having said that, he does move well and has a great stroke. If i can get him for cheap, I'd take a flyer on him. but only as a low risk option. Somebody earlier in the thread said he probably doesn't like basketball. That wouldn't surprise me. Plus he's just sort of a *****.