What's new

Game Thread Aug 03, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Los Angeles Lakers

Added to Calendar: 08-03-20

The Lakers feature 3 consensus #1 draft picks in their rotation, because Los Angeles is a premier location. We don't have the location draw to recruit like they can. It doesn't men we won't ever win a title, but let's not pretend it's just a matter of "a little more thought".
You think I’m playin? Nobody is pretending nothin. Why would a team go all in on a 6 foot nothing point guard when Your star shooting guard is undersized to begin with and you got guys like Brogdan, DRuss, George Hill among others available? Not only is Conley undersized, but he’s rather frail by NBA standards. Then you sacrifice your muscle in Faves and Crowder to get your man crush (he’s so likable) and replace your dawgs with two has beens in Green and Davis - and both undersized for position. Then compound that with a bench comprised mostly with undersized D leaguers and late second rounders and you got the Jazz. Looks like you’re the great pretender.

Last edited:
That wasn't the question. Regardless of who we play, if we gave up 55+ paint points and the opposing center scored 40+, would Rudy be considered for the DPOY? I'll answer that for you - NO. He wouldn't make the short list. He wouldn't make the conversation. Rudy Gobert is considered a phenomenal defender because the other team struggles to score in the paint and he does a good job neutralizing the opponent's best big. Last night, he did neither. Not only didn't he do either, our numbers were terrible.

Many would say he had an awful game. I'm not saying that. I'm simply saying your statement that Rudy had a great game is simply false. Rudy had an average game. Not bad, but not great. It's okay. Live to play another day.
I'm not answering that ridiculous scenario because it is non-sensical. He won't always face a top 5 player who has the best setup man in the league... its not simply false...its false by the weird *** definitions you concoct in your head to drive your dumbass rudy narrative forward.

Not saying he was amazing but he was good. If he averaged 16/13 on 100% and 80% shooting he'd be likely be 1st or 2nd team all nba and people would wonder why they didn't get him the ball more.

On top of Conley being small, he doesn't even make up for it with speed. Couldn't even get by Caruso last night.
It's an incredibly bad fit. Even when he has it going on offense.
Don't let the hairline fool ya... my boy Caruso is a great defender.

I'm primarily concerned about defensive length... and Denver has some good defenders with length but it isn't like the Lakers and Clippers where it comes at you in waves. OKC just beat the **** out of us so I'm basically calling Denver, Okc, and Houston basically equals. All these teams are good.

The reason I would like Denver is I think they can be exploited and have some flawed guys they have to rely on (like us). Murray runs hot and cold and is a bad defender. Jokic is a solid defender but we can get what we want at the rim mostly. MP Jr. is good but he is absolutely atrocious on defense. In the playoffs he will make Niang look like an all team defender.

I don’t exactly disagree. But these are basically the same reasons I think we might have chance of making it to a 6th game with them.

I'm not answering that ridiculous scenario because it is non-sensical. He won't always face a top 5 player who has the best setup man in the league... its not simply false...its false by the weird *** definitions you concoct in your head to drive your dumbass rudy narrative forward.

Not saying he was amazing but he was good. If he averaged 16/13 on 100% and 80% shooting he'd be likely be 1st or 2nd team all nba and people would wonder why they didn't get him the ball more.
I don't understand why you are being like this about this.

Quit making the Lakers excuse. If Gobert played anybody and we gave up 58 paint points and his guy got 40+, he didn't have a good game. Doesn't matter if its AD or Ostertag.

Let it go. Idol worship Rudy after he has a good game.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Our bench went from having Favors and Crowder to Bradley and Niang. We still haven’t recovered from that loss. No matter how good Bogie shoots, the drop off when our second unit plays with Niang and Bradley negates whatever gains Bogie provided As a starter.
Favors was our starter. But I guess he came out early. Either way those werent both bench guys. Realistically Favors was our backup Center so its a huge dropoff to Bradley. But Crowder was our starting PF. Niang was pretty much the backup 4 last year by the end of the season before that is was sefalosha.

But I agree losing both of them did hurt. But we did replace them with Bogie, Green, and Davis. Green not being on the team and Davis being a bust really hurt us the most. Imagine if we had picked up Jamychal Green, Richaun Holmes, Patrick Patterson, Morris, Theis, Kaminski, Danuel House or someone that could contribute with that money instead. Its a little harder with Green since his salary is low but I am sure we could have picked up anyone else that could help at all we would be better off. These two signings hurt us a lot. Maybe more than getting Conley as a bad fit.

If we had a re-do of the offseason, I would still definitely take Bogie; he has given us another cut-throat scorer that we needed. However, Conley, is clearly the issue. Not only is he overpaid and underperforming, but we lost a lot of depth with it. Think of getting Bogie while also retaining Favors and Crowder. I think that the ultimate solution is to move Mitchell to the point and pair him with an athletic wing. Most PGs are athletic 2 guards these days anyway. Guys like Lillard, Westbrook, Wade (to an extent when he played), are basically shooting guards. However, since they handle the ball so much, you are point guards by default. We have to hope for a diamond in the rough draft pick like Gobert or Mitchell, or have Conley be generous and opt out, which is very unlikely.

I don't understand why you are being like this about this.

Quit making the Lakers excuse. If Gobert played anybody and we gave up 58 paint points and his guy got 40+, he didn't have a good game. Doesn't matter if its AD or Ostertag.

Let it go. Idol worship Rudy after he has a good game.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Why am I being fair and reasonable while evaluating everything in its proper context... not sure?