What's new

Bojan done for the year

Enough of this. We need to offer a sacrifice to the basketball gods!

I propose PoliticalJazzFan as an offering (he might be rejected though)

I propose Conley. I read on Reddit that last time an NBA team threw a player into a volcano to appease the gods(in the 80s, if I understood correctly), the league allowed the remainder of the contract to come off the books and not count against the cap.

A difference, however, between an in-clinic injection and a surgery requiring general anesthesia (and the dreaded word "ventilator" that has dropped from the daily lexicon).
His wrist surgery requires general anesthesia? But still, Utah didn't come close to being in danger of running out of ventilators as far as I know. So I'd be quite surprised if that were the reason. But you're a doctor, right? So I guess you ought to know.

I broke my wrist and shattered my collarbone on February 29th. I had two surgeries on my collarbone. The collarbone initially hurt way more than my wrist.

That said, while my collarbone is all healed up and hasn't hurt for a while now, my wrist still hurts. Granted it hasn't been long but I keep reading things online about how wrist injuries sometimes never get back to normal. I imagine it's like when I tore my thumb ligaments in high school football. It feels fine until I use it.

Hopefully Bogey is in much better hands and has a quick recovery.
Ouch, sorry about your injuries. Sounds extremely painful. I injured my wrists several years ago. Didn't require surgery or anything, but took probably 6 months before they felt normal again.

His wrist surgery requires general anesthesia? But still, Utah didn't come close to being in danger of running out of ventilators as far as I know. So I'd be quite surprised if that were the reason. But you're a doctor, right? So I guess you ought to know.
Honestly, I haven’t read about what kind of procedure he had done, but based simply off it being season ending, the odds that this was done under general anesthesia go up, or at the very least having to be performed in an OR with some level of assistance from anesthesia. But the talk was of ventilator rationing and death panels, and despite the fact that it hasn’t happened, public policy lags significantly farther behind, and anything like that was put on hold up until a couple weeks ago. While individual outpatient clinics may have been opened, hospital ORs (for elective surgery) and surgical centers were closed. I think sometimes this gets lost because when people hear “elective surgery” they think something purely optional like plastic surgery.

His surgery is being done in New York, so it doesn't matter what the Utah rules are.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app
We’re talking about elective surgery across the board. And New York would have been an even worse place to try to get surgery done a month or two ago (if we’re sticking to the same context that brought up the question of why he couldn’t have gotten this done earlier).

Shane is a hand surgeon here locally (he has more detailed replies under this discussing recovery).

Ouch, sorry about your injuries. Sounds extremely painful. I injured my wrists several years ago. Didn't require surgery or anything, but took probably 6 months before they felt normal again.
I had a hairline fracture. The doc said it should be fine without casting it. It's gotten better and I can move my wrist, but I can't do anything that requires force without it hurting really bad e.g. pushups, weeding, can openers, playing guitar for an extended period of time.

I ride a dirt bike and I follow a Utah dirt bike page. I've heard from several people that wrists take a year or two to not hurt anymore. Granted, I'm only two and a half months out but it's crazy to think a hairline fracture heals more slowly than a shattered collarbone that required two surgeries.

Honestly, I haven’t read about what kind of procedure he had done, but based simply off it being season ending, the odds that this was done under general anesthesia go up, or at the very least having to be performed in an OR with some level of assistance from anesthesia. But the talk was of ventilator rationing and death panels, and despite the fact that it hasn’t happened, public policy lags significantly farther behind, and anything like that was put on hold up until a couple weeks ago. While individual outpatient clinics may have been opened, hospital ORs (for elective surgery) and surgical centers were closed. I think sometimes this gets lost because when people hear “elective surgery” they think something purely optional like plastic surgery.
My understanding is that elective surgeries were cancelled out of an abundance of caution to help prevent a shortage of PPE and other disposable medical equipment. That's the explanation my vet gave me when he cancelled my dog's neutering appointment and it's the same explanation my sister got when she had a gall stone attack.

He waited to get the surgery because he’s a ****ing terminator and wanted to play in the playoffs. The longer he waited the more the following season would have been effected. It also is something he likely aggravated several times after the original injury and just didn’t heal right. Hand injuries you can sometimes play through but you will get hit so many times that it’s bound to get reinjured.

The timing seems right. He waited a reasonable amount of time but the season looks like it has a 50/50 shot of being finished and won’t startup for at least 6 weeks... so now the offseason likely shrinks and there wouldn’t be a recovery.

Im worried we lose two seasons of basketball. Some predicting the winter could be a huge second wave... if they plan on starting after Christmas for next year that might run right into the second wave.

He waited to get the surgery because he’s a ****ing terminator and wanted to play in the playoffs. The longer he waited the more the following season would have been effected. It also is something he likely aggravated several times after the original injury and just didn’t heal right. Hand injuries you can sometimes play through but you will get hit so many times that it’s bound to get reinjured.

The timing seems right. He waited a reasonable amount of time but the season looks like it has a 50/50 shot of being finished and won’t startup for at least 6 weeks... so now the offseason likely shrinks and there wouldn’t be a recovery.

Im worried we lose two seasons of basketball. Some predicting the winter could be a huge second wave... if they plan on starting after Christmas for next year that might run right into the second wave.
It also seems from some twitter exchange that he would be unable to play even if the season came back.

I'm definitely not happy that Bojan is out for the year. We needed his offensive firepower for the playoffs but it's a no go. We're a 2nd rd playoff team at best atm and with Conley Island running the show somewhat, I'm less hopeful for the playoffs.