What's new

Buffalo Shooting

Ammo is sometimes hard to come by. I have purchased cases at a time. Literally thousands of rounds at a time.

I've also purchased a large # of guns. A gun purchase along with ammo should not raise red flags alone, but this kid had enough events that better mental health programs in schools could have flagged him.

Background checks should also review social media accounts.
Why not? What is the harm in saying you need to wait or talk to someone to buy that many guns or that amount of ammo... when there is weird activity on my bank account sometimes my bank will freeze the account and wait to talk with me or get a code from my phone. Minor annoyance but hugely beneficial when they find a weird transaction and stop fraud when a sketchy charge happens. If your purchase is legit and there are no issues then cool... but there's no harm in kicking the tires a bit.

I'm also just saying lets raise the age to 21+. It just needs to be harder.

There are like 5-10 ways basic regulatory laws could be passed in this situation that would have stopped it. Like 21+ is something that 90% agree on right? You could likely have some basic laws passed and then setup some undercover police programs that identify dummies trying to get ARs on the black market. I am guessing it would be fairly easy to identify these types of shooters as I am not sure they could navigate back channels to get an AR. If he had to rob a house to get a handgun at least hopefully he could be stopped before taking 19+ lives.
Apparently, New York's DWR license for hunting Buffalo didn't matter in Uvalde, Texas.

How many laws just are not enforced anywhere.

Our Border or Immigrations laws might have stopped this one, too.

seriously.

This was a "social" kid caught up in the trends, living his life online, being out there to get noticed. Then he got bullied, and got mad. This was a copycat thing, and you'd do better to blame media coverage and political exploitation, and our liberal trend in education pushing sexual ideologies and anti-Christian morals in this case.

This kid if he was in Sunday School reading the Ten Commandments wouldn't have lied any more than a George Washington. Or have thought to do anything else.

Apparently, New York's DWR license for hunting Buffalo didn't matter in Uvalde, Texas.

How many laws just are not enforced anywhere.

Our Border or Immigrations laws might have stopped this one, too.

seriously.

This was a "social" kid caught up in the trends, living his life online, being out there to get noticed. Then he got bullied, and got mad. This was a copycat thing, and you'd do better to blame media coverage and political exploitation, and our liberal trend in education pushing sexual ideologies and anti-Christian morals in this case.

This kid if he was in Sunday School reading the Ten Commandments wouldn't have lied any more than a George Washington. Or have thought to do anything else.
Well maybe if gun laws were more restrictive and better enforced when he got mad he could just go make some tiktoks or get some ice cream. If it was harder to get a gun maybe he calms down. I'm going to blame the laws directly related to the crime and not try to change the whole world in this instance.

Seriously?!? Do you really believe that if that guy had been unable to buy an AR when he went into the gun store and seen all the semi-automatic handguns available to him that cycle every bit as fast an an AR that he would have said "nah, you really need an AR to kill children so I guess I won't kill anyone"? You are delusional if you think that legislation would have prevented this tragedy. You might as well have proposed for the state of Texas to have contracted unicorns who could swoop in at the last moment to stab the shooter with their magic horn. Get real.
Jokes on you. The age for buying a handgun is already 21.

In Texas?
I don’t know what the gun laws are in Texas. Probably pretty loose. But generally speaking handguns have a higher age requirement than long rifles, that are typically sued for hunting or sport. But then again Texas is usually the exception so I wouldn’t be surprised if their only age restriction for gun ownership begins in the third trimester. Or maybe it’s now at conception? Who knows?

Kids being raised by single moms.
Nearly every one of these school shooters grew up without a father in the house. Fifty years ago the United States was still awash in gun but school shootings were unheard of. It isn’t the guns. While the correlation with being raised in single parent households is undeniable, it doesn’t matter because there is nothing you can do about it. We aren’t going to outlaw divorce like the Philippines.
Even worse that outlawing gujns as a preventative.

What can be done here in reality?
Schools need to be locked down.
Just for comparison:

13M child covid19 cases, with a mortality rate circa 0.01%, is about 1300 covid19 deaths. Al-O-Meter's advice to respond: do nothing. No masks, no education from home. Taking action has social consequences, so you value children's mental health over death by covid19.

https://everytownresearch.org/maps/gunfire-on-school-grounds/
You can get counts by year here. there are 120 deaths in schools shootings since 2019, about 10% of the number of covid19 deaths. Al-O-Meter's advice to respond: lock everything down and make the children feel like they are under siege.

It's almost as if these positions are more political than rational.

2 middle schoolers planned a school shooting in 2022 during their Senior year. I’m not saying one of them was the shooter, but the school district had been warned.

Between the police delay and this history of an actual threat makes this evil act even more upsetting.

Even worse that outlawing gujns as a preventative.

Just for comparison:

13M child covid19 cases, with a mortality rate circa 0.01%, is about 1300 covid19 deaths. Al-O-Meter's advice to respond: do nothing. No masks, no education from home. Taking action has social consequences, so you value children's mental health over death by covid19.

https://everytownresearch.org/maps/gunfire-on-school-grounds/
You can get counts by year here. there are 120 deaths in schools shootings since 2019, about 10% of the number of covid19 deaths. Al-O-Meter's advice to respond: lock everything down and make the children feel like they are under siege.

It's almost as if these positions are more political than rational.
Yep!

During a pandemic and we institute mask mandates. Republicans: “YOU CANT DO YHAT YOURE TOTALLY RESTRUCTURING OUR SOCIETY WHAT ABOUT OUR FREEDOM THIS IS SO ABSURD!”

After Uvalde Shooting: “WE NEED TO COMPLETELY RESTRUCTURE SCHOOLS THEY NEED SINGLE POINT ACCESS ELECTRIFIED FENCES MOATS LAND MINES TRIP WIRES T REXES AND SEAL TEAMS TO KEEP KIDS SAFE WE NEED TO MAKE EVERY SCHOOL INTO ALACATRAZ!!!”

Heaven forbid we ever slightly regulate Republican easy access to guns that kill dozens within seconds.

Last edited:
In Texas?
According to the ATF.

Why not? What is the harm in saying you need to wait or talk to someone to buy that many guns or that amount of ammo... when there is weird activity on my bank account sometimes my bank will freeze the account and wait to talk with me or get a code from my phone. Minor annoyance but hugely beneficial when they find a weird transaction and stop fraud when a sketchy charge happens. If your purchase is legit and there are no issues then cool... but there's no harm in kicking the tires a bit.

I'm also just saying lets raise the age to 21+. It just needs to be harder.
I'm already for having a minimum 3 day background check for everyone. States shoukd do their own check as well, as states and fed databases don't always link.

My point is, being of age and purchasing guns and ammo shouldn't be a red flag by itself.

If we aren't going to treat 18 year olds like adults, let's move the age of adulthood to 21.

There needs to be background checks, including mental health checks on every purchase. Right now in most states private parties can sell to other private parties with no check.

And once you have a background check, the database should be re-reviewed regularly for red flags.

I hate kids being killed, but AR-15s are used in a tiny fraction of annual deaths. "Mass shootings" are a tiny fraction of total gun homicides each year. Suicides account for the largest # of gun deaths. Mental health needs more attention.

Handguns are the primary cause of firearm related deaths in this country. Banning modern sporting rifles will do next to nothing other than give politicians something to talk about.

Gun owners should be required to keep guns secured/locked.

Magazine limits make little to no difference.

Have zero tolerance for bullying in schools, most of these mass shootings were from kids that were abused in school.

Train schools to watch for red flags, and put people with dangerous propensities in treatment centers.

And while we are working to save lives, let's put larger penalties for drunk driving, which causes a horrific number of deaths and life-altering injuries each year. A 2nd DUI should result in permanent loss of license.
I have done a lot of hunting. never saw anyone use an AR-15 to shoot a rabbit, deer, duck, grouse, chucker, pheasant, antelope, etc etc etc. Seems like the crazies love to shoot up a bunch of folks with the AR-15 though. I know I know there is virtually no difference between the AR-15 and your average hunting rifle. There is one big difference between the two though. Perception. If they were perceived the same way then we would see lots of hunters using AR-15's and lots of mass human killers using a 30-06 rifle to do their mass killings.

Guns are objects. They don't have morals. They aren't right or wrong. They simply exist.
You forgot that they are perfect. Listening to co workers talk about their guns and show pictures and spend hella money on their guns makes me disagree with you. These folks definitely see them as right. And a something to love for their awesomeness. They more than simply exist. I hear some co workers talk more about their guns than their kids. They show pictures of their guns more than they do of their kids. They spend more money on their guns than their kids.

I have done a lot of hunting. never saw anyone use an AR-15 to shoot a rabbit, deer, duck, grouse, chucker, pheasant, antelope, etc etc etc. Seems like the crazies love to shoot up a bunch of folks with the AR-15 though. I know I know there is virtually no difference between the AR-15 and your average hunting rifle. There is one big difference between the two though. Perception. If they were perceived the same way then we would see lots of hunters using AR-15's and lots of mass human killers using a 30-06 rifle to do their mass killings.
I have hunted small game with both my 5.56 AR and .300 blackout with suppressor using subsonic ammo (no ear protection needed).

There are over 20 million AR15s in circulation in the U.S. Many are target or competitive shooters or enthusiasts. Most realize a semi-auto rifle won't really protect them if **** hit the fan.

If ARs are banned a high capacity shotgun with buckshot would likely be as or more lethal.

The 2nd Amendment says nothing about hunting.