What's new

Buying a home

When you go to closing, all the fees and stuff you pay include your first month mortgage payment and they tell you to skip that month. For example, if you close June 10, they'll say your first payment is due August 1. Make a payment in July anyway. You're instantly one month ahead.
Take your payment, divide it by 12. Take that number and, if you can afford it, send that in addition every month. It all goes toward the principle amount, savings thousands in the long run. Plus, in a little under a year, you're another month ahead. Just in case something major comes up.
I've never bought a home, only built them, so I really don't have any advice for that side.

We finally gave in and used an agent. Worst hindsight mistake ever (we had a rushed deadline). If you have the time then you can figure out how to go about the contract on your own.

We finally gave in and used an agent. Worst hindsight mistake ever (we had a rushed deadline). If you have the time then you can figure out how to go about the contract on your own.

But, again, if you go it alone (which is NO BIG DEAL), then make the title company provide an affidavit that no more than 3% total is being paid in commissions.

It's kinda like trading in a car. Negotiate as if you don't have one, get your price, then spring the trade on them (you should almost never trade your car in).

In this case, you tell the listing agent you have a buyer's agent (representing you) that's out of town at the moment. Negotiate your deal (agents suck at negotiating.. Srsly) and once there explain you're going it alone and want to simply deduct 3% from the purchase price.

In this case, you tell the listing agent you have a buyer's agent (representing you) that's out of town at the moment. Negotiate your deal (agents suck at negotiating.. Srsly) and once there explain you're going it alone and want to simply deduct 3% from the purchase price.

I have a hard time believing you're advising people to flat out lie. Shame on you.

But, again, if you go it alone (which is NO BIG DEAL), then make the title company provide an affidavit that no more than 3% total is being paid in commissions.

It's kinda like trading in a car. Negotiate as if you don't have one, get your price, then spring the trade on them (you should almost never trade your car in).

Why not just be up front and:

1) Go see houses of interest
2) Once appropriate, make an offer of 3% less than you believe seller would be willing to take, with that figure's rationale made clear up front.

???

Last edited:
Example.

1) House is listed for 750K.
2) I would pay and think seller would accept 720K.
3) I then offer 700K with it made clear that I would pay 720K (and no more) but since I have no buyer's agent, I'm subtracting 3% (2.78% really in this case) as it's ludicrous that the seller's side gets 6% (43K+) when I found the house and essentially did most of the legwork.

???

I do see it causing issues and actually think your approach, Peeks, could be better. However, I think if I make an offer of 720K (in said example) and the seller says Yes!!! and then I say, well, really the offer is 700K because I'm not paying an extra 3% to your side since I don't have a buyer's agent, the seller is gonna feel not only confused but likely, really jerked around and skeptical to the point that they'd think something is fishy and back out.

lol, sorry Nancy.

So you consider that "thou shalt bear no false witness" commandment to be optional? Or you think it doesn't apply here? What about these?

Lev 19:11 Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.

Prov 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Col 3:9-10 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

I know you're a religious guy, so that's what shocked me.

You know, I bet you'd get the same deal if you were upfront about what you were doing and why. And if you don't? Well at least you haven't put a price on your integrity.

By the way, if you pulled that on me, it would be deal off, immediately. Aside from only wanting to do business with honest people for moral reasons, it would be off from pragmatic reasons as well. I've known too many people who have gotten burned on deals from untrustworthy people--contract or no contract. Any hint of duplicity and I'd say "see ya". And telling me two different stories (in bold) would definitely be more than a hint.

Everyone I have ever done business with would do business with me again and again.
Two of my partners are stake presidents and would vouch for my ethics all day.

So forgive me if I don't feel your "teachings" are admissable in my court of law.

I don't mean this in any derogatory sense, but someone that is immersed with academia and religion sees the world a bit differently than some others. I admire the place you're in. Some of the rest of us have to "play the game" all the while knowing we HARM NO ONE in the process. Justification? Maybe. I don't know. God will judge. But I am proud of who I am and what I do with/for those around me.

Just bring your offer and say you will only close if the realtor fee is 3% as you are working independently. A realtor would have a fiduciary duty to present the offer to the client, even if the agent refuses to take only 3%. Not a good way to keep a client happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone I have ever done business with would do business with me again and again.
Two of my partners are stake presidents and would vouch for my ethics all day.

So forgive me if I don't feel your "teachings" are admissable in my court of law.

I don't mean this in any derogatory sense, but someone that is immersed with academia and religion sees the world a bit differently than some others. I admire the place you're in. Some of the rest of us have to "play the game" all the while knowing we HARM NO ONE in the process. Justification? Maybe. I don't know. God will judge. But I am proud of who I am and what I do with/for those around me.

Hitler was probably proud of who he was and what he did with/for those around him. So?

Hey CL and DJ stop bickering please

By the way, if you pulled that on me, it would be deal off, immediately. Aside from only wanting to do business with honest people for moral reasons, it would be off from pragmatic reasons as well. I've known too many people who have gotten burned on deals from untrustworthy people--contract or no contract. Any hint of duplicity and I'd say "see ya". And telling me two different stories (in bold) would definitely be more than a hint.

Something that cost you nothing, but something that [you] could have, and as is often the case takes advantage of the other, cost your client something significant would be reason for you to pull a deal off? You lose everything and gain nothing, while hurting the other in the process.

I don't see how that's pragmatic, or ethical, in any form.

I'm not sure "bear false witness" applies in this case anyway.