What's new

Buying a home

I probably should have given a more thorough response to the "Shame on you" post.

I am not a passive real estate buyer/seller, it is my lifelong profession.

Let’s look at a few other professions;
Police officers and, in particular, interrogators – I’m sure they never say things like, “Look, we KNOW you were there that night, your buddy told us”, even though they don’t know that, the buddy has said nothing and they’re just fishing.
Doctors – I have personal first-hand accounts of docs giving false hope to patients only to tell me, alone, there is none.
Attorneys – I’m not slighting attorneys here, at all, but need I explain?

I think we could look at most any profession and find the same types of “transgressions.” It’s all part of the game. Sounds ugly, I know. Sounds like justification, I’m sure. But are we seriously going to just commit the people that hold a position within the careers listed above (as well most others) simply as liars? Okay with me if you want to do so, btw.

But let’s take professors a moment. How nice it must be to set the curriculum for others. Pre-determine the Q&A and grade the student based on your own set of truths. Day in and day out, no need for any of the game playing. Commander and Chief, very little accountability, no day-to-day fight with competitors looking to steal your market share.
No need to ever look a student in the eye, that is having a hard time academically, and tell them you believe in them, when, in fact, you’re not too sure… or tell someone that has an addiction to painkillers they can beat it and you have their back, when in reality, you think it’s got a stranglehold on them.

You shared some Bible verses with me. Thank you. Here are a few more.
Romans 3:10 - As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;
Matthew 7:3 – And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?

The difference is, between the two of us, only one said to the other, “Shame on you.”

One more small item.

The law provides for a puffing vs. lying distinction.

Agent A says the best view in the county is of "x"
Agent B says the best view in the county is of "y"

Which of the two are lying?

Bottom line, for me, is you NEVER cross the line that does anything to harm another. Never take an advantage over someone else through any form of trickery. I would never, ever, do anything like that.

I'm not sure "bear false witness" applies in this case anyway.

To give a bit more clarity and hopefully a better analogy towards Colton's literal interpretations, I don't think Jesus said to turn the other cheek means you do nothing whatsoever to ever defend you and yours. Most scripture is allegorical and subject to your conscience. A business deal is you vs them. There's no ethical issue in trying to do something that is best for both parties.

Something that cost you nothing, but something that [you] could have, and as is often the case takes advantage of the other, cost your client something significant would be reason for you to pull a deal off? You lose everything and gain nothing, while hurting the other in the process.

I don't see how that's pragmatic, or ethical, in any form.

I'm not sure "bear false witness" applies in this case anyway.

You're a clown.

One more small item.

The law provides for a puffing vs. lying distinction.

Agent A says the best view in the county is of "x"
Agent B says the best view in the county is of "y"

Which of the two are lying?

Bottom line, for me, is you NEVER cross the line that does anything to harm another. Never take an advantage over someone else through any form of trickery. I would never, ever, do anything like that.

Someone's defensive.

Someone's defensive.

Yes, I am.

I respect Colton and he pulled a "Shame on you" to me. I take very few seriously on here (meaning what they say) but I know he means it. At first I literally lol'd because I thought it was straight dumb. But then I decided to defend myself. There are occasions doing so is acceptable.

Yes, I am.

I respect Colton and he pulled a "Shame on you" to me. I take very few seriously on here (meaning what they say) but I know he means it. At first I literally lol'd because I thought it was straight dumb. But then I decided to defend myself. There are occasions doing so is acceptable.

Cry harder.

Everyone I have ever done business with would do business with me again and again.
Two of my partners are stake presidents and would vouch for my ethics all day.

I don't doubt that... but if you ask them if you should lie about having an agent when you don't, I know what they will say.

Some of the rest of us have to "play the game" all the while knowing we HARM NO ONE in the process. Justification? Maybe. I don't know. God will judge. But I am proud of who I am and what I do with/for those around me.

You may be doing great things and you may be a good person. That doesn't mean you can't be an even better one.

I probably should have given a more thorough response to the "Shame on you" post.

I am not a passive real estate buyer/seller, it is my lifelong profession.

Let’s look at a few other professions;
Police officers and, in particular, interrogators – I’m sure they never say things like, “Look, we KNOW you were there that night, your buddy told us”, even though they don’t know that, the buddy has said nothing and they’re just fishing.
Doctors – I have personal first-hand accounts of docs giving false hope to patients only to tell me, alone, there is none.
Attorneys – I’m not slighting attorneys here, at all, but need I explain?

I think we could look at most any profession and find the same types of “transgressions.” It’s all part of the game. Sounds ugly, I know. Sounds like justification, I’m sure. But are we seriously going to just commit the people that hold a position within the careers listed above (as well most others) simply as liars? Okay with me if you want to do so, btw.

But let’s take professors a moment. How nice it must be to set the curriculum for others. Pre-determine the Q&A and grade the student based on your own set of truths. Day in and day out, no need for any of the game playing. Commander and Chief, very little accountability, no day-to-day fight with competitors looking to steal your market share.
No need to ever look a student in the eye, that is having a hard time academically, and tell them you believe in them, when, in fact, you’re not too sure… or tell someone that has an addiction to painkillers they can beat it and you have their back, when in reality, you think it’s got a stranglehold on them.

The difference that I see with all of those examples you gave and your own situation, is that those individuals are doing it for the benefit of someone else. Your own situation, as you presented it, was misleading someone for the benefit of your own self.

You shared some Bible verses with me. Thank you. Here are a few more.
Romans 3:10 - As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;
Matthew 7:3 – And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?

The difference is, between the two of us, only one said to the other, “Shame on you.”

Touche. Yet one can still teach the gospel to others while still being imperfect.

OK, glad to hear it. And I didn't think you would. That's why I was so surprised that you would cross what in my view is a line in order to get your foot in the door.

By the way, if you pulled that on me, it would be deal off, immediately. Aside from only wanting to do business with honest people for moral reasons, it would be off from pragmatic reasons as well. I've known too many people who have gotten burned on deals from untrustworthy people--contract or no contract. Any hint of duplicity and I'd say "see ya". And telling me two different stories (in bold) would definitely be more than a hint.

So you've never bought a car?