fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
So there is this dude on one of the byu message boards that knows the AD at byu and therefore gets inside info and then sometimes posts about and he says that BYU's AD (tom holmoe) is currently talking with the pac 12 and big 12 conferences and is close to getting a deal worked out to join with one of them.

He says that the 2 things holding everything up are sunday play and byu TV broadcasting rights..... But he says that the difference this time than a few years ago is that now the church leaders/school council are on board, unlike last time they tried to get into the big 12, and that if everything goes as planned then byu could be playing in one of these conferences starting in 2014!

This guy has predicted other things before they happened (Hadley, Hoffman suspensions.... going independent) so his source has been correct in the past.
I hope he is right on this as well.

Dead serious question here. Seeing how tough it has been for Utah and TCU joining a BCS conference, with all the growing pains, are BYU fans sure they want to do this?

If it does happen, and I hope it does, BYU fans need to realize that it has taken Utah three years to get competitive in the PAC-12, and Utah still doesn't have depth (see how the Wilson injury had killed this team). Utah is still a year or two away from having the depth they really need to realistically compete for a division title.

Seeing how BYU has the honor code and more missions than Utah to deal with, it will probably take another year or two longer than it has for Utah.

Will BYU fans be ok with three losing records in conference to start their journey into a BCS conference?

I admit, it has been tough watching Utah struggle these first few years.

So there is this dude on one of the byu message boards that knows the AD at byu and therefore gets inside info and then sometimes posts about and he says that BYU's AD (tom holmoe) is currently talking with the pac 12 and big 12 conferences and is close to getting a deal worked out to join with one of them.

Big 12 seems far more likely to me than Pac 12. What, would they expand again to the Pac 13 or Pac 14? But Big 12 has always seemed like a good fit for BYU to me.

Dead serious question here. Seeing how tough it has been for Utah and TCU joining a BCS conference, with all the growing pains, are BYU fans sure they want to do this?

I would absolutely be on board. Independence beats a Utah-less and TCU-less Mountain West, but in today's college football climate a BCS conference beats everything. (And yes, Ute fans, you can quote me on that--I'd rather be in the Pac 12 than independent. :) )

I would absolutely be on board. Independence beats a Utah-less and TCU-less Mountain West, but in today's college football climate a BCS conference beats everything. (And yes, Ute fans, you can quote me on that--I'd rather be in the Pac 12 than independent. :) )

Done

This.

Don't want to be left out when the super conferences arrive.

@green..... it will suck to struggle in a bcs conference but I would swap positions with utah without a doubt.

Utah is in a much better situation for the future despite the rough times they have had so far

This.

Don't want to be left out when the super conferences arrive.

@green..... it will suck to struggle in a bcs conference but I would swap positions with utah without a doubt.

Utah is in a much better situation for the future despite the rough times they have had so far

Pretty much this.

I'm not drinking the punch.

Will wait and see.

In the meantime, which conference would people prefer?

Would BYU fans prefer BYU go to the Big 12 or the Pac 12?
Would Ute fans prefer BYU go to the Big 12 or the Pac 12?

I'm on the fence, but like Colton said, I might lean towards the Big 12.
I would actually be surprised if the Pac 12 was actually entertaining adding BYU now.

Wouldn't it be more likely to see a big conference split then expand again? If that is the case wouldn't BYU(and a few other schools) have to perform exceptionally well to entice bcs schools to do it?

Utah had to throw an asterisk on the National champs in order to get an invite.

Here is reality:

BYU isn't going to the PAC-12 for awhile. They just signed their deals, and adding teams would decrease money paid to each school, unless the schools added were Texas and Oklahoma.

BYU might be going into the Big 12. Who knows. I think it would be good for BYU overall, but BYU would struggle big time having the HC to deal with. That makes their pool of recruits so small. BYU can get awesome #1's, but I don't know if they can get the depth they would need to deal with 9-10 BCS games a year.

In the meantime, which conference would people prefer?

Would BYU fans prefer BYU go to the Big 12 or the Pac 12?
Would Ute fans prefer BYU go to the Big 12 or the Pac 12?

I'm on the fence, but like Colton said, I might lean towards the Big 12.

I just said that because I can't see the Pac 12 thing happening...but I'd actually far prefer BYU to go to the Pac 12 than the Big 12 if the Pac 12 is willing to put up with our idiosyncrasies and give BYU an invite. That's mainly due to geography. Easier on the student athletes to travel to games, more BYU fans on the west coast, better rivalry with Utah again, etc.

Here is reality:

BYU isn't going to the PAC-12 for awhile. They just signed their deals, and adding teams would decrease money paid to each school, unless the schools added were Texas and Oklahoma.

BYU might be going into the Big 12. Who knows. I think it would be good for BYU overall, but BYU would struggle big time having the HC to deal with. That makes their pool of recruits so small. BYU can get awesome #1's, but I don't know if they can get the depth they would need to deal with 9-10 BCS games a year.

What the hell? Who are you and what have you done with green?

Good post btw