What's new

BYU joining a bcs conference rumor again

Complete rubbish. BYU's strength of schedule is ranked anywhere from 13-23 depending on whose formula you are using. RIGHT NOW. What don't you understand about that? Quit acting like every BCS teams play Alabama every week. And Georgia Tech is "terrible" because they are 6-3 with the 14th ranked defense in the country? Ummmmmm ok. There are about 80 teams that wish they were that terrible.

Quick question for you:

If you switched Utah's and BYU's schedule, what are their records right now? Let's see:

BYU's schedule:

Virginia - This is a TERRIBLE team. Horrible. Odds are Utah beats them. 1-0
Texas - I'd say Texas beats Utah...BUT, when you consider they had to switch QB's early in the game, I'd put this game at 50/50.
Utah - We all know Utah owns BYU, so 2-0 (with a 50/50)
Midd Tenn - Win. 3-0 (with a 50/50)
USU - Utah actually beat Keaton. Win. 4-0 (with a 50/50)
GT - Ahhh. The great GT that you build up so much. Let's see who they have beaten: Elon Phoenix, Duke, a 3-5 NC, Syracuse, a 2-7 Virginia (snicker), and a losing record ACC Pitt team. Wow. Shaking. Win. 5-0 (with a 50/50)
Houston - win. 6-0 (with a 50/50). I put this as a win for a couple of reasons. 1 - their schedule is Hawaii pathetic. 2 - they lost to you. 3 - Utah, with a healthy Wilson beat Stanford. 4 - Wilson probably doesn't get hurt playing this weak *** schedule.
Boise - Win. Again, BYU didn't have to play their starting QB.

So, if Utah plays BYU's schedule, they are 7-1 or 8-0. Yeah, your schedule is AMAZING. So great, a crappy PAC-12 team might be undefeated with it.

Ok, let's give BYU Utah's schedule:

USU - Probably a loss for BYU. Why, you ask? 1 - Because Keaton plays the whole game. 2 - It's the first game of the year and you freaking lost to Virginia your first game. Hey, let's call it a 50/50 game.
Weber St - Win. 1-0 (One 50/50).
OSU - Loss. They kicked your *** last year, and they are a great passing team, you suck as pass defense, and Utah lost to them. 1-1 (One 50/50 game).
BYU - Loss. You lost this game already. 1-2 (One 50/50 game).
UCLA - Loss. Top 15 team. BYU usually doesn't beat top 15 teams. 1-3 (One 50/50 game)
Stanford - Loss see above. 1-4 (One 50/50 game).
Arizona - Win. They aren't that good. Utah should have beat them and so should you. 2-4 (One 50/50 game).
USC - I'll give this a 50/50 game. Their defense is amazing, their offense was bad that game. Probably ends up a 6-7 or 3-6 game. 3-5 overall.

So, given Utah schedule, which I do believe is ranked #6 right now, and will be #1 by the end of the season, BYU would be 3-5 overall, while Utah would be 7-1 or 8-0.

Like I said, the ND and Wisc games are huge for BYU. If they win, I was wrong. If they lose...they would be beyond terrible in a BCS conference seeing how they would be 2-4 against BCS teams, and their only two wins against a weak GT team (see how FSU keeps dropping in the BCS standings...it's because the ACC is weak) and a Texas team that lost it's QB in the second quarter. Not a good sign for BYU's ability to compete in a BCS conference.

I never understood how hard it was to stay healthy in a BCS league until Utah joined the PAC-12. Utah beat Stanford with a healthy Wilson and had SIX turnovers against UCLA and almost beat them. Utah was very, very good with a healthy Wilson. Wilson got hurt and Utah died. A top 20 offense disappeared. The week to week grind is real, especially when your schedule is LIGHT YEARS tougher than BYU's.

Did you know that the only team BYU has beaten of any significance that kept their starting QB the whole game was Houston? And Houston's best win is a .500 ACC team? And BYU almost lost that game? Yikes.

Like I said earlier, I don't know if BYU fan could handle a BCS conference. What would happen to BYU fan if they lost to Utah every year and didn't make a bowl? Ouch. They would have nothing to hang their hat on.

Good.

I'd rather be in the BIG 12 than in the PAC anyway. The BIG 12 typically has better football teams and is light years ahead in hoops. PAC 12 hoops sucks. BIG 12? Baylor, Texas, and Kansas? Yes! Utes can enjoy playing Washington or Colorado in hoops. No one will be watching anyway. While ill happily watch BYU vs Kansas on prime time on ESPN!

lol

Quick question for you:

If you switched Utah's and BYU's schedule, what are their records right now? Let's see:

BYU's schedule:

Virginia - This is a TERRIBLE team. Horrible. Odds are Utah beats them. 1-0
Texas - I'd say Texas beats Utah...BUT, when you consider they had to switch QB's early in the game, I'd put this game at 50/50.
Utah - We all know Utah owns BYU, so 2-0 (with a 50/50)
Midd Tenn - Win. 3-0 (with a 50/50)
USU - Utah actually beat Keaton. Win. 4-0 (with a 50/50)
GT - Ahhh. The great GT that you build up so much. Let's see who they have beaten: Elon Phoenix, Duke, a 3-5 NC, Syracuse, a 2-7 Virginia (snicker), and a losing record ACC Pitt team. Wow. Shaking. Win. 5-0 (with a 50/50)
Houston - win. 6-0 (with a 50/50). I put this as a win for a couple of reasons. 1 - their schedule is Hawaii pathetic. 2 - they lost to you. 3 - Utah, with a healthy Wilson beat Stanford. 4 - Wilson probably doesn't get hurt playing this weak *** schedule.
Boise - Win. Again, BYU didn't have to play their starting QB.

So, if Utah plays BYU's schedule, they are 7-1 or 8-0. Yeah, your schedule is AMAZING. So great, a crappy PAC-12 team might be undefeated with it.

Ok, let's give BYU Utah's schedule:

USU - Probably a loss for BYU. Why, you ask? 1 - Because Keaton plays the whole game. 2 - It's the first game of the year and you freaking lost to Virginia your first game. Hey, let's call it a 50/50 game.
Weber St - Win. 1-0 (One 50/50).
OSU - Loss. They kicked your *** last year, and they are a great passing team, you suck as pass defense, and Utah lost to them. 1-1 (One 50/50 game).
BYU - Loss. You lost this game already. 1-2 (One 50/50 game).
UCLA - Loss. Top 15 team. BYU usually doesn't beat top 15 teams. 1-3 (One 50/50 game)
Stanford - Loss see above. 1-4 (One 50/50 game).
Arizona - Win. They aren't that good. Utah should have beat them and so should you. 2-4 (One 50/50 game).
USC - I'll give this a 50/50 game. Their defense is amazing, their offense was bad that game. Probably ends up a 6-7 or 3-6 game. 3-5 overall.

So, given Utah schedule, which I do believe is ranked #6 right now, and will be #1 by the end of the season, BYU would be 3-5 overall, while Utah would be 7-1 or 8-0.

Like I said, the ND and Wisc games are huge for BYU. If they win, I was wrong. If they lose...they would be beyond terrible in a BCS conference seeing how they would be 2-4 against BCS teams, and their only two wins against a weak GT team (see how FSU keeps dropping in the BCS standings...it's because the ACC is weak) and a Texas team that lost it's QB in the second quarter. Not a good sign for BYU's ability to compete in a BCS conference.

I never understood how hard it was to stay healthy in a BCS league until Utah joined the PAC-12. Utah beat Stanford with a healthy Wilson and had SIX turnovers against UCLA and almost beat them. Utah was very, very good with a healthy Wilson. Wilson got hurt and Utah died. A top 20 offense disappeared. The week to week grind is real, especially when your schedule is LIGHT YEARS tougher than BYU's.

Did you know that the only team BYU has beaten of any significance that kept their starting QB the whole game was Houston? And Houston's best win is a .500 ACC team? And BYU almost lost that game? Yikes.

Like I said earlier, I don't know if BYU fan could handle a BCS conference. What would happen to BYU fan if they lost to Utah every year and didn't make a bowl? Ouch. They would have nothing to hang their hat on.

This post summarized:

Quick question...

UTAH ROCKS BYU SUCKS UTAH ROCKS BYU SUCKS.... Blablabla... BYU SUCKS!

You're welcome for saving me 3 hrs of your day trying to read through that garbage.

This is such a great post. When I look at what I hope Utah can become in the PAC, I don't have any illusions of becoming USC or Oregon. I think Utah's dream scenario is to become like Washington. A solid PAC 12 team that gets into the Rose Bowl once or twice per decade. I would be over the moon if that happened.

It's been very interesting to see how these bigger conferences can take it's toll. At the time of the MWC split, I felt like TCU had a better football program than Utah, BYU, and Boise State. Now, they are just another team in the Big 12. I honestly hope BYU gets to move to a bigger conference, but get ready for a HUGE slice of humble pie Cougar fans. Us Ute and TCU fans are still choking on it.

Weren't the Utes already a solid team that could get into the Rose Bowl once or twice a decade? I think you are selling them short a little bit. I think the Utes can compete for a title, maybe not every year like Bama, but certainly every once in a while.

Duck Rodgers said:
Complete rubbish. BYU's strength of schedule is ranked anywhere from 13-23 depending on whose formula you are using. RIGHT NOW. What don't you understand about that? Quit acting like every BCS teams play Alabama every week. And Georgia Tech is "terrible" because they are 6-3 with the 14th ranked defense in the country? Ummmmmm ok. There are about 80 teams that wish they were that terrible.
Quick question for you:

If you switched Utah's and BYU's schedule, what are their records right now?

Why is that even relevant? He wasn't saying BYU's schedule is harder than Utah's. He's saying that BYU's schedule so far has been harder than more than half the teams in the "power conferences".

And Sagarin's rating system agrees with him. (I didn't check any others.) Sagarin's system has BYU with the 21st hardest schedule so far this season. That's harder than all but one of the Big 10, all but four of the Big 12, all but six of the SEC, and would put them between #8 and #9 in the Pac 12. (those are all the conferences I checked)
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/conference/

Utah's schedule is 4th hardest in the country according to Sagarin, by the way. No question it's been a killer.

Last edited:
Good.

I'd rather be in the BIG 12 than in the PAC anyway. The BIG 12 typically has better football teams and is light years ahead in hoops. PAC 12 hoops sucks. BIG 12? Baylor, Texas, and Kansas? Yes! Utes can enjoy playing Washington or Colorado in hoops. No one will be watching anyway. While ill happily watch BYU vs Kansas on prime time on ESPN!

I totally agree with you on the basketball side, but that's about it. Football is king and the Big 12 is "meh" as of right now. While the PAC will probably never happen for BYU, it would be a better football fit.

I heard a rumor that the utes have been lobbying for byu to get into the pac 12.
If true, then that is classy of them.

Or they just want to be able to get another win and double thier conference wins lol

I heard a rumor that the utes have been lobbying for byu to get into the pac 12.
If true, then that is classy of them.

Or they just want to be able to get another win and double thier conference wins lol

I think the Utes and Cougars have a pretty good relationship between schools and it makes sense that either school would push and pull to get the other one in with them.

The whole fan hate back and forth is just that, and in my opinion is just really a verbal competition between fan bases. It's all talk. I would do as much for my Ute fan neighbors as I would for my BYU fan neighbors if needed. The fan aspect is just a fun thing to do to pass the time and all that. I think in reality both fan bases are pretty similar and are on the whole pretty good people. I think the same of both administrations.

If true, it is classy but not unexpected in my eyes.

I think the Utes and Cougars have a pretty good relationship between schools and it makes sense that either school would push and pull to get the other one in with them.

The whole fan hate back and forth is just that, and in my opinion is just really a verbal competition between fan bases. It's all talk. I would do as much for my Ute fan neighbors as I would for my BYU fan neighbors if needed. The fan aspect is just a fun thing to do to pass the time and all that. I think in reality both fan bases are pretty similar and are on the whole pretty good people. I think the same of both administrations.

If true, it is classy but not unexpected in my eyes.

It's eerie how identical both teams and fanbases are.

Utah is not lobbying for byu to get into the Pac 12.

Look at it this way:

After decades of doing everything you can to land your dream job, you finally get hired. As the new guy, do you work your hardest to show everyone at the company that they made the right decision by hiring you? Or do you spend your time trying to talk your boss into also hiring your weird, socially awkward, under-qualified cousin?

I think Chris Hill's decision to take a few years off from the rivalry game should tell us all we need to know about how Utah views byu.

Utah is not lobbying for byu to get into the Pac 12.

Look at it this way:

After decades of doing everything you can to land your dream job, you finally get hired. As the new guy, do you work your hardest to show everyone at the company that they made the right decision by hiring you? Or do you spend your time trying to talk your boss into also hiring your weird, socially awkward, under-qualified cousin?

I think Chris Hill's decision to take a few years off from the rivalry game should tell us all we need to know about how Utah views byu.
Not zoobies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QgEjKqcWds

cosmocostume.jpg

In all seriousness, I think he said something about not wanting a difficult out-of-conference game, did he not?

I heard a rumor from one of my buddies that the guys who organize the fight hunger bowl are trying to get a Utah-BYU match up this year. Kind of a last matchup in the rivalry for a couple years.

In all seriousness, I think he said something about not wanting a difficult out-of-conference game, did he not?

He said he wanted an "A" game, a "B" game, and a "C" game. He also said that BYU is an "A" game. He said that when they found out they could do the Michigan deal, they jumped at it. The problem was, if they kept BYU on the schedule, they would have two "A" games those two years. So, they swapped out BYU for Michigan.

After seeing how Utah has played since Wilson has gotten hurt, you can't blame him. There are too many teams getting too much credit playing terrible schedules for Utah to be the martyr and and take one for the team to keep BYU on the schedule. Sorry. I love the BYU game, but BYU isn't Michigan.

My point was that Utah is no longer attached at the hip to byu. To the decision makers byu is just another school that we can choose to schedule if we want to. There is no reason that Utah would lobby for byu to be invited to the Pac 12 because we are no longer partners, just neighbors.

This isn't me trash talking or puffing my chest, just pointing out that it's silly to think Utah would would be trying to get byu in the Pac 12.

£¥£

My point was that Utah is no longer attached at the hip to byu. To the decision makers byu is just another school that we can choose to schedule if we want to. There is no reason that Utah would lobby for byu to be invited to the Pac 12 because we are no longer partners, just neighbors.

This isn't me trash talking or puffing my chest, just pointing out that it's silly to think Utah would would be trying to get byu in the Pac 12.

£¥£
It wouldn't surprise me if Utah throws BYU's name out there as a possible new memeber of the PAC, knowing they're safe because it will never happen. Kind of like when I would tell Jason that Trout would be a great mod, knowing Jason would rather cut off his left ********.