What's new

BYU joining a bcs conference rumor again

I heard a rumor from one of my buddies that the guys who organize the fight hunger bowl are trying to get a Utah-BYU match up this year. Kind of a last matchup in the rivalry for a couple years.

If I'm Utah, I want no part of that and despite what BYU fan will say about why, it's not out of fear of losing. First of all, Utah has to get their asses bowl eligible in the first place. Besides that, a bowl game against BYU does little to nothing for Utah win or lose.

We all know the numbers. 4 straight wins, 9 out of the last 12, blah blah blah. As far as in-state recruiting, Utah has done its job in beating BYU for the better part of 2 decades. Winning or losing a bowl game against them won't change the landscape that Utah has cultivated over the past 20 years.

If Utah gets to a bowl, they're better off playing some crap school from out West or Texas for recruiting purposes. Plus, BYU fan needs to think REALLY hard about giving Whit an entire month to prepare for BYU. Whit seems to out coach Bronco nearly every time they meet.

If I'm Utah, I want no part of that and despite what BYU fan will say about why, it's not out of fear of losing. First of all, Utah has to get their asses bowl eligible in the first place. Besides that, a bowl game against BYU does little to nothing for Utah win or lose.

We all know the numbers. 4 straight wins, 9 out of the last 12, blah blah blah. As far as in-state recruiting, Utah has done its job in beating BYU for the better part of 2 decades. Winning or losing a bowl game against them won't change the landscape that Utah has cultivated over the past 20 years.

If Utah gets to a bowl, they're better off playing some crap school from out West or Texas for recruiting purposes. Plus, BYU fan needs to think REALLY hard about giving Whit an entire month to prepare for BYU. Whit seems to out coach Bronco nearly every time they meet.

Utah would destroy BYU, especially if Wilson is healthy. It wouldn't be close.

Perhaps but Hill is different player than they played against. Actually being able to effectively pass the ball makes things different.

The real green finally shows up.

Utah already played byu with a healthy wilson. They won the game, but did not destroy byu and it was close.

Oh and that was before taysom hill learned how to pass.

I agree that with a month to prepare, whitt is the better coach and would probably have a good game plan and have a good shot at wining the game.

I think it would be a good close game like it is 95 percent of the time

If I'm Utah, I want no part of that and despite what BYU fan will say about why, it's not out of fear of losing.

I similarly don't have a strong desire to have BYU play Utah in a bowl game this year--and it's also not out of fear of losing. However, in one of the upcoming years where they don't play in the regular season, I think a bowl matchup would be quite epic.

I similarly don't have a strong desire to have BYU play Utah in a bowl game this year--and it's also not out of fear of losing. However, in one of the upcoming years where they don't play in the regular season, I think a bowl matchup would be quite epic.

Agreed. We already tried the Utah-BYU thing this year.

green is filling the SaltyDawg vacuum quite nicely

The real green finally shows up.

Utah already played byu with a healthy wilson. They won the game, but did not destroy byu and it was close.

Oh and that was before taysom hill learned how to pass.

I agree that with a month to prepare, whitt is the better coach and would probably have a good game plan and have a good shot at wining the game.

I think it would be a good close game like it is 95 percent of the time

And the real BYU fans show up as well. When did Hill learn how to pass? Oh, that's funny, it's right when BYU's schedule went soft. What a coincidence.

Anyways, this weekend is HUGE for BYU. If Hill continues to throw well, I'll come here and give him props. I'm just not buying Hill stock until he plays well against a good team.

Also, do you realize how crazy conservative Utah was? They got up two scores and they did nothing. They knew BYU couldn't score twice. And they couldn't.

Like I said, this weekend will prove me right or wrong.

I like this.

Agreed. I think in a year where they don't play in the regular season, a bowl game would be wonderful. However, I'm not sure I can handle a solid month of build up between the 2 fan bases. It's gotten so ugly lately that I shudder to think how bad it could get.

Ya, in a year where we don't play eachother and Utah goes to a crappy bowl it'd be cool to play byu.

£¥£

And the real BYU fans show up as well. When did Hill learn how to pass? Oh, that's funny, it's right when BYU's schedule went soft. What a coincidence.

What about Virginia? BYU started their schedule with a softie, and he couldn't throw then. (Virginia: ranked #89*)
Texas? (ranked #23) Utah? (ranked #37) OK, they weren't soft.

Hill started passing well about game #4. (Games 1-3: less than 40% completions in each game. Games 4 on: more than 50% completions in each game, and most with >60% completions.) So were their opponents after game #4 soft? (We'll skip Middle Tennesee, for obvious reasons)

Utah State? (ranked #36, actually one spot above Utah)
Georgia Tech? (ranked #33)
Houston? (ranked #41)
Boise State? (ranked #35)

Your statement that Hill started throwing well when the schedule went soft is a myth. Except for Middle Tennessee there was no significant decrease in the strength of BYU's schedule after the Utah game. Three of the four most recently played teams are ranked higher than Utah.

A much better hypothesis is that he started throwing well around game 4 simply because he got better with his accuracy.

Anyways, this weekend is HUGE for BYU. If Hill continues to throw well, I'll come here and give him props. I'm just not buying Hill stock until he plays well against a good team.

Fair enough. I'm taking basically the same approach... except I'd say teams ranked #33-41 are usually pretty good and he threw well against them. So I fully expect Hill to play well.

* all rankings provided by Sagarin, https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/.

Edit: Wow, I just noticed that Sagarin has Wisconsin ranked #6 in the country. Should be a tough game! And potentially even more meaningful than Utah's win over Stanford, if BYU wins. (By comparison, Stanford is now ranked #10.)

Last edited:

Also, do you realize how crazy conservative Utah was? They got up two scores and they did nothing. They knew BYU couldn't score twice. And they couldn't.

Like I said, this weekend will prove me right or wrong.

Virginia was no good and he couldn't pass against them.

Georgia tech, utah state, houston and boise are all better than viginia.

If you don't think that hill is a better passer now than he was at the begginning of the year then you are blind, stupid, or just trolling.

And it isn't just byu fans who think he has improved..... try listening to some sports talk radio or read a couple of newspaper articles sometime.

(Again, I'm not saying byu would win, but it is obvious that hill has improved his passing accuracy regardless of who the competition is)

What about Virginia? BYU started their schedule with a softie, and he couldn't throw then. (Virginia: ranked #89*)
Texas? (ranked #23) Utah? (ranked #37) OK, they weren't soft.

Hill started passing well about game #4. (Games 1-3: less than 40% completions in each game. Games 4 on: more than 50% completions in each game, and most with >60% completions.) So were their opponents after game #4 soft? (We'll skip Middle Tennesee, for obvious reasons)

Utah State? (ranked #36, actually one spot above Utah)
Georgia Tech? (ranked #33)
Houston? (ranked #41)
Boise State? (ranked #35)

Your statement that Hill started throwing well when the schedule went soft is a myth. Except for Middle Tennessee there was no significant decrease in the strength of BYU's schedule after the Utah game. Three of the four most recently played teams are ranked higher than Utah.

A much better hypothesis is that he started throwing well around game 4 simply because he got better with his accuracy.

Fair enough. I'm taking basically the same approach... except I'd say teams ranked #33-41 are usually pretty good and he threw well against them. So I fully expect Hill to play well.

* all rankings provided by Sagarin, https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/.

Edit: Wow, I just noticed that Sagarin has Wisconsin ranked #6 in the country. Should be a tough game! And potentially even more meaningful than Utah's win over Stanford, if BYU wins. (By comparison, Stanford is now ranked #10.)

And despite all these facts that you present, anyone who is not an idiot can just use thier eyeballs to see that hill has improved his passing

vs Wisc: 19/41, 207 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT....28 QBR.
vs Utah: 18/48, 260 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT....36 QBR - He has actually become a worse passer since the Utah game. Ha ha.

*snicker*

#weakassschedulemakesyoulookgood

That game wasn't even close. BYU gets worked by the #24 team. Utah takes the #22 team down to the wire. Utah is the better program. No debate. Like I said, Utah is probably 7-2 or 8-1 right now with BYU's schedule. Maybe, maybe even 9-0.

BYU is 3-6 with Utah's schedule right now.

The good news for BYU, is that unlike Utah, who now has to play Oregon, they get Idaho St, so Hill can show you much he has improved as a passer, before you get worked over by ND. But, again, the good news is, you have another mid-major so you can finish the season strong, showing how much better you are than when you played Wisconsin and ND, and if you played them at the end of the year, Hill would totally destroy them because he has totally improved as a passer.

Because any idiot with eyeballs would be able to see that, right?

BYU totally blew it last time. I hope for their sake that they take their own advice and try not to be so prideful.

vs Wisc: 19/41, 207 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT....28 QBR.
vs Utah: 18/48, 260 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT....36 QBR - He has actually become a worse passer since the Utah game. Ha ha.

*snicker*

#weakassschedulemakesyoulookgood

That game wasn't even close. BYU gets worked by the #24 team. Utah takes the #22 team down to the wire. Utah is the better program. No debate. Like I said, Utah is probably 7-2 or 8-1 right now with BYU's schedule. Maybe, maybe even 9-0.

BYU is 3-6 with Utah's schedule right now.

The good news for BYU, is that unlike Utah, who now has to play Oregon, they get Idaho St, so Hill can show you much he has improved as a passer, before you get worked over by ND. But, again, the good news is, you have another mid-major so you can finish the season strong, showing how much better you are than when you played Wisconsin and ND, and if you played them at the end of the year, Hill would totally destroy them because he has totally improved as a passer.

Because any idiot with eyeballs would be able to see that, right?

You have issues dude.

I personally love green's schedule smack when BYU's schedule strength has been rising for like two months, peaking at #9 right now. It will probably end up aroud 15-20 when it's all said and done. Not bad.

I personally love green's schedule smack when BYU's schedule strength has been rising for like two months, peaking at #9 right now. It will probably end up aroud 15-20 when it's all said and done. Not bad.

Not that it really matters, (I'm so sick of SOS smack talk), but with Idaho State, Notre Dame, and Nevada remaining on your schedule, plus the fact that Utah seems hell bent on losing each week, your SOS probably won't end up in the top 30.