What's new

Clarkson Opts In

Wow! This is a pleasant surprise.

I also expect an extension. As soon as we deadline passed and we didn't move him, my expectation was that JZ/DA wanted him in the fold for the long-term. No reason to not flip for anything you could have gotten otherwise.

JC could also be moved (doesn't seem like the plan) and sign a 2 year 35.6M extension... ends up with 49.6M

I'm perfectly fine with Ochai coming off the bench. There should still be ~24-26 mpg available for him in a 6th/7th man role. Seems about right for this point in his development arc.

That also assumes one of Sexton, THT, JC, or Ochai is not on the move this offseason or pre- trade deadline. As others have speculated a significant trade seems more likely than not.

I think someone will be moved for a more normal pg. Wright, Morris are candidates. I think JC starts... with whoever that more normal pg is.

My guess is one of:

- THT
- KO
- Sexton

is moved... that is the order or likelihood imo. Would not surprise me at all to see any of them moved if we agree with JC on an extension. It might be the best course of action to help clear up the combo guard logjam.

If you believe that it’s more likely that Sexton comes off the bench than Clarkson.
Yeah, I think that's the case. I think THT is the starting PG regardless of who the starting 2 (barring no trades for a more proven/natural starting PG).

I just know that Clarkson/Sexton is not going to be the preferred Day 1 starting backcourt.

I'm not surprised. GTJ opting was a clear sign that the market is not good for FA guards this summer. I'm happy to have him back, we need as much on ball initiation as we can get. Clarkson is not ideal, but he can still fill that role until we find that dude.

Little weird. I kinda hoped he would opt out and then re-sign or maybe do an opt in and renegotiate and extend... which is a little weird but Hollinger mentioned it. So instead of 14M this year we could give him like 24M this year and then take it down to like 14M the next two... he would get like 38M in new money for the two additional years. But the cap hit is $5M less. Maybe that is still the plan.

RIP Ochai as a starter...

I don't know the rules well, but I don't see why renoegotiate and extend isn't still on the table? If the Jazz are unable to find use of the rest of their cap space we can just give Clarkson the rest in a renegotiate and extend.

Yeah, I think that's the case. I think THT is the starting PG regardless of who the starting 2 (barring no trades for a more proven/natural starting PG).

I just know that Clarkson/Sexton is not going to be the preferred Day 1 starting backcourt.
THT gonna be moved for Monte Morris bruh... you need to accept the fact that you are cursed.

I think Morris, JC, Collins, Lauri, Kessler with KO, Sexton, Tay Henny, Ochai, off the bench is a pretty solid arrangement. I actually think its better if John Collins comes off the bench and KO starts but doubt that happens.

I don't know the rules well, but I don't see why renoegotiate and extend isn't still on the table? If the Jazz are unable to find use of the rest of their cap space we can just give Clarkson the rest in a renegotiate and extend.
It very much is... I said "maybe that is still the plan". This actually had to happen to do the renegotiate and extend route. I think all of our beat writers wouldn't be able to explain it well (maybe Andy) and not like the team would let them in on the plan. I think we do some other business (make a trade or waive Carney) then hand him over 9.6M+ on top of his 14.2M for this year... then we can reduce his salary by up to 40% on the following years, so take it down to 14-15M for two additional years.

One thing to consider about the Sexton at PG lineups.....it was actually Clarkson taking on the bigger offensive load. Sexton was only a ~20% usage guy with the starters. JC was the key intiator and on ball scorer.

If we were planning on starting Ochai, we would be drowing whoever was playing PG unless it was Luka. Even if we had Luka our first priority would be to get him some help. I think JC being here is good for the meantime, I'm glad we did not bury ourselves with a big extension.

THT gonna be moved for Monte Morris bruh... you need to accept the fact that you are cursed.

I think Morris, JC, Collins, Lauri, Kessler with KO, Sexton, Tay Henny, Ochai, off the bench is a pretty solid arrangement. I actually think its better if John Collins comes off the bench and KO starts but doubt that happens.
I could certainly see that, but it would be a huge mistake.

It definitely could be a thing if Utah decides that they really really need a more traditional PG.

I just think Utah's overall ambitions are higher than that and THT is too tantalizing as a prospect to give up the final year of him for a strong bench PG.

It very much is... I said "maybe that is still the plan". This actually had to happen to do the renegotiate and extend route. I think all of our beat writers wouldn't be able to explain it well (maybe Andy) and not like the team would let them in on the plan. I think we do some other business (make a trade or waive Carney) then hand him over 9.6M+ on top of his 14.2M for this year... then we can reduce his salary by up to 40% on the following years, so take it down to 14-15M for two additional years.

That sounds ideal to me. My biggest fear with Clarkson was handing out big long term money to him, but he's a nice asset to have on low money. If we're trying to win some games this year we need him.