What's new

Clarkson Opts In

One thing to consider about the Sexton at PG lineups.....it was actually Clarkson taking on the bigger offensive load. Sexton was only a ~20% usage guy with the starters. JC was the key intiator and on ball scorer.

If we were planning on starting Ochai, we would be drowing whoever was playing PG unless it was Luka. Even if we had Luka our first priority would be to get him some help. I think JC being here is good for the meantime, I'm glad we did not bury ourselves with a big extension.
"Drowning" is a good word for the level of responsibility for a guard playing alongside Ochai, Kessler, and any combination of our too-many big forwards.

Yeah... this to me looks like an opt in in order to secure an extension.
100% and the only extensions that make sense are if he is traded to another team... or if we do a renegotiate and extend deal.

I think it is actually probably the best use of cap space. Pushing the excess 10M forward into a value contract on JC is probably as good as you will do and saves us from a myriad of potential dumb signings. Getting a slight hometown discount better than paying the out of town come to Utah premium.

I think the renegotiate portion has to come on the 3rd anniversary of the signing of his original deal. It may be the 2nd... can't remember but there may be a delay.

I could certainly see that, but it would be a huge mistake.

It definitely could be a thing if Utah decides that they really really need a more traditional PG.

I just think Utah's overall ambitions are higher than that and THT is too tantalizing as a prospect to give up the final year of him for a strong bench PG.
I could also see it being Sexton if they really believe in THT or if the return on Sexton is really good.

I could also see it being Sexton if they really believe in THT or if the return on Sexton is really good.
The thing with Sexton is that he still seems to be viewed, at best, as a neutral contract league wide. And he seems to be improving! So it would be an inopportune time to sell on him. But then again, how much value can a 6'1 6th man ever get?

But will they end up dealing Clarkson to a contender type who wants his services for 1 year?

No idea. There's so many ways this could go, but the only thing I'm pretty certain on is that Clarkson/Sexton wont be starting together.

"Drowning" is a good word for the level of responsibility for a guard playing alongside Ochai, Kessler, and any combination of our too-many big forwards.

If you start Clarkson, you can pretty much pick your choice of starting PG because he can assume that burden. If we end up trading THT for Morris/Delon they can slot right into the PG spot and it works. You can even start Dunn if his play is real. It's never comfortable to live and die by Clarkson, but his ability to assume a large offensive burden opens up a lot of flexibility. We have a good, but rigid frontcourt.

I really like Delon on this team. The Wizards were 26-24 last season with him in the lineup and 9-23 when he did not play. He can be the more pass first oriented PG on offense and also the key perimeter defender on defense.

If you start Clarkson, you can pretty much pick your choice of starting PG because he can assume that burden. If we end up trading THT for Morris/Delon they can slot right into the PG spot and it works. You can even start Dunn if his play is real. It's never comfortable to live and die by Clarkson, but his ability to assume a large offensive burden opens up a lot of flexibility. We have a good, but rigid frontcourt.

I really like Delon on this team. The Wizards were 26-24 last season with him in the lineup and 9-23 when he did not play. He can be the more pass first oriented PG on offense and also the key perimeter defender on defense.
Or you could play Wright next to Sexton. They seem to complement each other well.

Can we just rewind and remember how crazy it is that we ever got Clarkson for DedEx and two 2nds in the first place?

Here's another plug that 2nds can get you real NBA players. Especially because Clarkson was drafted in the 2nd somehow.

I think the Wiz are more likely to move Morris than Wright but i think they also could move both of them. Wright does fit quite well. If he can stay healthy that is a great option.

THT for Wright or Morris... we will send a second or cash considerations if they need it.. but seems really logical and fair for both teams.

THT gonna be moved for Monte Morris bruh... you need to accept the fact that you are cursed.

I think Morris, JC, Collins, Lauri, Kessler with KO, Sexton, Tay Henny, Ochai, off the bench is a pretty solid arrangement. I actually think its better if John Collins comes off the bench and KO starts but doubt that happens.
I really like both of those lineups.

Called it. We're going to be huge trade partners at the deadline for teams underperforming

We have a few SL games to determine if we wanna give George some real rotational minutes early in the season. That might affect our decision on what to do with JC