What's new

Clarkson Opts In

Yeah I definitely think either Sexton or Clarkson get dealt this offseason. The thing with Sexton is his value is probably neutral at best due to the damn injuries. He has to show he can stay healthy. The Jazz might've sat him at the end of the season for draft slotting purposes but other teams see he only played 48 games on the heels of only playing a handful in his last season in Cleveland. I think Jazz are going to honor JC's wish and probably send him to LA. Neither of those LA teams could sign him in FA due to their cap issues but they have trade assets they could send our way in a s&t.

I really want to see it with THT. He fits the physical profile but his shooting and overall efficiency is just rough.

Yeah I definitely think either Sexton or Clarkson get dealt this offseason. The thing with Sexton is his value is probably neutral at best due to the damn injuries. He has to show he can stay healthy. The Jazz might've sat him at the end of the season for draft slotting purposes but other teams see he only played 48 games on the heels of only playing a handful in his last season in Cleveland. I think Jazz are going to honor JC's wish and probably send him to LA. Neither of those LA teams could sign him in FA due to their cap issues but they have trade assets they could send our way in a s&t.

I really want to see it with THT. He fits the physical profile but his shooting and overall efficiency is just rough.
I really don't think anyone doing serious research is very concerned about Sexton's health. He's one of the few that has properly healed his meniscus (he's actually the only I can recall at the moment) and I don't think anybody seriously buys that he sat all that time this year because of the severity of those injuries. The Jazz were holding everybody out for whatever they could down the stretch. If anything, they should be reassured that we weren't pushing him.

This was actually my prediction with JC's deal. Cap space route never seemed like it would produce a good deal for JC. It just sounded like we would sign JC to an extension based on the initial tweet. My guess is he is plan b for a few teams he likes maybe including us. If it doesn't materialize then we renegotiate and extend the deal and he stays.

For some reason my spidey senses tell me to watch out for the Clips here. Maybe some of the Norm Powell noise is because he doesn't want to come off the bench. Seems a few vets there aren't in love with their roles... and I think Mann might get prioritized. So flip Norm for JC and it saves a few bucks and gets you a guy that will likely be cool with a bench role and is a good locker room personality.

The teams that probably want Clarkson are teams that don't have much cap space. I could see him wind up with the Bucks or the Suns potentially. Mavs might be interesting. Either a sign-and-trade or mid-season trade makes sense if both sides want to move on.

See y’all, this is why you don’t EVER doubt Monty:

View: https://youtu.be/FTBqc8id5Kw

Dear lord... this guy think he's Jim Rome and he uses the intellect of a child. Let me sum this up for you all...

We pushed JC out the door when we would not trade him to a contender at the deadline... that is why he won't re-sign. Does anyone see an issue with this statement? Our only hope to keep JC was to tarde himz at the deadline guis!!!

Dear lord... this guy think he's Jim Rome and he uses the intellect of a child. Let me sum this up for you all...

We pushed JC out the door when we would not trade him to a contender at the deadline... that is why he won't re-sign. Does anyone see an issue with this statement? Our only hope to keep JC was to tarde himz at the deadline guis!!!
Funniest part of this was that we lost our ability to re-sign Clarkson by not trading him to a contender lmfao.

Sexton feels more like a starter to me than Clarkson.

So I say Sexton and either Ogbaji or THT start.
Clarkson to Boston for Brogdon and a 2024 FRP?

Would get them right under the second apron

If we got Brogdon, we could be a crazy efficient offense. Lauri, Sexton, KO, Brogdon all in the top 75 last year for TS%. Kessler would’ve been if he met the minimum requirements. Collins will regain his crazy efficient form from a couple years ago as well.

From Hollinger... basically the renegotiate deal...

One thing to watch with Utah's Jordan Clarkson is whether his "opt in" turns into a "renegotiate and extend." Utah could potentially top up his $14.2 million contract with the Jazz's expected $11.2 million in remaining cap space. That would put Clarkson on the books this year for $25.6 million in 2023-24. By doing so, Utah could then decline his deal by as much as 40 percent in 2024-25 to $15.5 million, and by 8 percent a year later in 2025-26 to $14.2 million. The total package would as if he he'd opted out and re-signed in Utah for three years, $55 million – except that this scenario manages the cap much more favorably for the Jazz by pushing a bigger chunk of his money into the 2023-24 season's leftover cap room.

Funniest part of this was that we lost our ability to re-sign Clarkson by not trading him to a contender lmfao.
Like he was gonna come running back after we traded him... just like... he wrote that down and acted it out like he was Shams but didn't think... "hey a trade would push him out the door too".

Sexton feels more like a starter to me than Clarkson.

So I say Sexton and either Ogbaji or THT start.

If we got Brogdon, we could be a crazy efficient offense. Lauri, Sexton, KO, Brogdon all in the top 75 last year for TS%. Kessler would’ve been if he met the minimum requirements. Collins will regain his crazy efficient form from a couple years ago as well.
I think Malcolm's elbow issue is no bueno... he also has a foot that is a ticking time bomb. I don't want him at this point.

Clarkson would get them under the tax and allow Derrick White to slide into the starting PG role.

Apparently Brogdon's elbow is pretty bad but if they'd be willing to attach a 2024 pick I'd definitely take him on.

If I was guessing right now... I'd say there is a 45% chance we keep JC and do the extension... 55% chance this is a opt-in and trade scenario. Clips, Lakers, Bucks being the biggest suitors.

Toronto may want Clarkson as their lockerroom is a mess. SnT for FVV?
I could see a Sexton/THT for FVV trade happening... but it sounds like Houston is getting FVV. When the actual exact numbers come out I start to feel like its a done deal already.

I hate to be nitpicky and technical but that’s not a sign-and-trade. Perhaps because these have happened so infrequently over the last decade people don’t know what they are.
But I guess it’s a better use of the term than when someone suggests a team signs someone else’s free agent in a S&T.

Progress…

I have thought for months that Smith wants JC here very badly because of the image he wants to give off about his team. It could go another way but I think this means JC is sticking around and will get a nice raise.