What's new

Clarkson Opts In

Clarkson for Reaves anyone?
This is what I've been eyeing this whole time, but without the threat of outright signing him I think it dings the viability of the deal happening. I also don't know that anyone besides people in front and league offices actually knows how that works in an Early Bird restricted free agency situation regarding the matching/offer max asymmetry.

Wish THT wouldn't have opted in or KO wasn't guaranteed. I like both fine, but I love Reaves enough to lose one of them just to take a shot.

not a single person has mentioned that clarkson just turned 31. kudos to him for being so loveable that he transcends the timeline, but do we want to extend a guy who is over thirty to a multiyear? when is he going to start to decline? i guess if it's a decreasing contract than this could work but i've been against him on the future team from the moment they traded away the core.
They can extend him in such a way that he declines quite a bit for his cap hit would be minimal. I don't imagine the extension would be that long, if at all.

This is what I've been eyeing this whole time, but without the threat of outright signing him I think it dings the viability of the deal happening.

Wish THT wouldn't have opted in or KO wasn't guaranteed. I like both fine, but I love Reaves enough to lose them just to take a shot.
It would have to be some weird simultaneous trade where we agree to send JC for something then they agree not to match the offer sheet. Because they have weird limits on what they can give him I have no idea how that works on a sign and trade.

This is what I've been eyeing this whole time, but without the threat of outright signing him I think it dings the viability of the deal happening. I also don't know that anyone besides people in front and league offices actually knows how that works in an Early Bird restricted free agency situation regarding the matching/offer max asymmetry.

Wish THT wouldn't have opted in or KO wasn't guaranteed. I like both fine, but I love Reaves enough to lose one of them just to take a shot.

I feel like Reaves market is drying up and he may not get as much as initially thought.

I feel like Reaves market is drying up and he may not get as much as initially thought.
I mean if nobody ends up sending an offer then the Lakers get him for nothing is how that works. Which is exactly what they’re shooting for.

Again, someone needed to come out and grab him or force the Lakers to pay a fair wage and we just fell out of the running with this.

It is still possible that JC really likes Utah and he wants to be here. He's said it numerous times. Conley liked Utah too, and he was traded. I think JC still has a few good years in him. I'd do that 3 or 4 year deal with Loaded first year with him and see where he is after those years. JC is always on the run. I've not seen him slowing down. I think he has at least has five years left at good performance. I just looked at Sweet Lou Williams stats and his numbers didn't decline until his 15th year. I'm not saying they are perfect comparisons, but I think it's a fair gauge.

Quickley feels like a more realistic target than Reaves. We can't offer Reaves the offer sheet anymore.
JC for Fournier and Quickley.. could work with our cap space still. Probably adding a pick there though.

It is still possible that JC really likes Utah and he wants to be here. He's said it numerous times. Conley liked Utah too, and he was traded. I think JC still has a few good years in him. I'd do that 3 or 4 year deal with Loaded first year with him and see where he is after those years. JC is always on the run. I've not seen him slowing down. I think he has at least has five years left at good performance. I just looked at Sweet Lou Williams stats and his numbers didn't decline until his 15th year. I'm not saying they are perfect comparisons, but I think it's a fair gauge.
Very much so. I think if he wasn't okay ending up here then he just opts out. I think its very much on the table. He also may be cool going to LA or another place to try and get a title.

Would we be willing to do a declining 3/110? Would we want to? I think I’d pass. But man, it would be tempting.
That's a lot of money and I'm not sure FVV is worth it to us. We'd have to do a sign and trade now that JC opted in too.

JC for Fournier and Quickley.. could work with our cap space still. Probably adding a pick there though.

That's what I'm thinking. They get a good player to help them with their current playoff runs while adding some distant picks to add to their war chest. They could also prefer Sexton instead of Clarkson. I'm cool with either.

That's what I'm thinking. They get a good player to help them with their current playoff runs while adding some distant picks to add to their war chest. They could also prefer Sexton instead of Clarkson. I'm cool with either.
Keeping JC does open up some potential trade possibilities on Sexton if we want to go that route.

Ugh, no. Why would we do this? Quickley is not that good and not worth giving up Clarkson let alone Clarkson and a pick while also taking on Fournier, unless it’s just to acquire his crap salary for a trade at the deadline.

Ugh, no. Why would we do this? Quickley is not that good and not worth giving up Clarkson let alone Clarkson and a pick while also taking on Fournier, unless it’s just to acquire’s crap salary for a trade at the deadline.

KqWIN is Quickley’s biggest fan.

We also could clear just enough space to assume Monte Morris or Delon Wright from Wiz. Price is reportedly 1 or 2 seconds... which is a no brainer to me.

Last night I read something that absolutely blew my mind. If Clarkson had opted out and signed elsewhere, or ends up getting moved in a trade, Walker Freakin’ Kessler would then become the longest tenured Jazz man. That is utterly astonishing.

In my last post I hailed Ainge’s skills for roster construction and asset acquisition but I forgot to mention possibly the biggest factor in turning this franchise around so quickly: Will Hardy.

Not only does he seem rock solid on the X’s and O’s front, it’s unbelievable how quickly he can get EVERYBODY to buy in- from the 15th man on your roster to a grizzled vet like Conley. He also got a team that had just went through a damn near 90% roster turn over and got them to gel at an astonishing rate. Then at the trade deadline we all thought “well that’s it, we’re finally tanking the rest of the season” and Hardy continued to win. I still can’t quite figure out how.

I like Quin. I was a little offended when he basically quit on the franchise but I bear him no ill will and I think he did quite a good job during his Jazz tenure. That being said, when he decided to walk, he might have been doing the Jazz the ultimate solid. Ainge immediately zeroed in on the right guy and I wouldn’t be stunned at all to see him win multiple rings- hopefully with us!!

We also could clear just enough space to assume Monte Morris or Delon Wright from Wiz. Price is reportedly 1 or 2 seconds... which is a no brainer to me.
We don’t need to clear any space to absorb either of them if that’s where we’re going.

I feel like THT straight across works great for everyone. He’s a real treat on a tanking team and has upside.

A trade situation that makes some sense to me is for Levert. I'm not really sure that changes much for either team though.