What's new

Clarkson Opts In

Wow we got a boatload of competition for the two guard spots. Now Sexton at 1 makes almost zero sense offensively and defensively. Has to be Dunn or THT, unless we make additional moves.

JC made great strides in his passing last year, and hopefully he can bring those in from the 2 spot. I'm happy he stayed but very surprised he agreed to do so with that cap number. There has to be some extension on the table otherwise it makes no sense he would settle for 14/1.

The fact that no one else, besides Sarah Todd, has reported on this surely indicates that it's either an opt-in with an extension, or it's an opt-in + extension as a part of a trade, right?

The fact that no one else, besides Sarah Todd, has reported on this surely indicates that it's either an opt-in with an extension, or it's an opt-in + extension as a part of a trade, right?
TJ said early in the week if JC opts in look for it to be part of a trade. Eric and Andy mentioned the opt in.

It will either be a trade or a renegotiate and extend... book it.

One thing to watch on the Lakers... Beasley's option date is today. If they decline or extend it then it will be a bit telling. Sounds like they are operating over the cap as they already basically announced they are getting Bruce Brown for the M

One thing to watch on the Lakers... Beasley's option date is today. If they decline or extend it then it will be a bit telling. Sounds like they are operating over the cap as they already basically announced they are getting Bruce Brown for the MLE.
I don't think we can trade for Beasley if they pick up the team option. You have to wait either for a year or for the contract the player had when you traded him to expire before signing him again.

From Hollinger... basically the renegotiate deal...

One thing to watch with Utah's Jordan Clarkson is whether his "opt in" turns into a "renegotiate and extend." Utah could potentially top up his $14.2 million contract with the Jazz's expected $11.2 million in remaining cap space. That would put Clarkson on the books this year for $25.6 million in 2023-24. By doing so, Utah could then decline his deal by as much as 40 percent in 2024-25 to $15.5 million, and by 8 percent a year later in 2025-26 to $14.2 million. The total package would as if he he'd opted out and re-signed in Utah for three years, $55 million – except that this scenario manages the cap much more favorably for the Jazz by pushing a bigger chunk of his money into the 2023-24 season's leftover cap room.
Yes please

I don't think we can trade for Beasley if they pick up the team option. You have to wait either for a year or for the contract the player had when you traded him to expire before signing him again.
Good point. Would need to be a three team deal or it could end up being Bamba. I'd still look and watch that "news".

Could easily be wrong, but feels more like a trade. Seems like if it was just an opt-in + extension that it would have all been reported at the same time.
Kinda my thought too... but I posted earlier JC is likely not plan A for a lot of teams... so he might be plan B for a couple scenarios including in Utah. So if it doesn't come through we pay JC and use our space (likely have it agreed in basic terms now) but we are working together to find the right spot for him... and it may end up being here.

Kinda my thought too... but I posted earlier JC is likely not plan A for a lot of teams... so he might be plan B for a couple scenarios including in Utah. So if it doesn't come through we pay JC and use our space (likely have it agreed in basic terms now) but we are working together to find the right spot for him... and it may end up being here.
If you were to talk to the version of NAOS that was alive 2-3 years ago and say, "Clarkson will still be with the team on Jun 29, 2023 AND you will be hoping he signs a contract extension," then I would have thought you were bat**** crazy. But it's true.

If this was an opt-in and trade, I’d imagine we’d have heard some details about that by now.

Dos pesos.

IF JC is traded... IF it happens... not predicting it for sure happens... here are my guesses:

- Clips for Norm Powell basically straight up saves LA a bunch of money and gives them a bench vet replacement for a guy that may not be happy (there has been enough noise on Norm that I believe he is out there)
- LA exercises Beasley's option then makes the trade... we get draft stuff for our trouble.
- Bucks one is trickier... wonder if Allen plus a signed and traded Ingles could get us to the right salary... needs some draft comp in there.

I suppose Boston with Brogdon could happen as well but yeah I want a pick in that one. I think the clips Brogdon deal fell apart because they couldn't get a physical in time and had concerns.

Powell is somewhat interesting. Super efficient. A couple years older than I’d prefer though and I think mediocre on defense no?

If this was an opt-in and trade, I’d imagine we’d have heard some details about that by now.

Dos pesos.
Not necessarily. Might need FA open or might have some things that need to be played out first. I kinda feel the opposite. If its a opt in and extend the numbers would be agreed to before he opted in... so I would think the contract amount would be announced if that were the case.

Again... I think he is plan B for a few places... and we might be his plan B. Either way I am good.

Powell is somewhat interesting. Super efficient. A couple years older than I’d prefer though and I think mediocre on defense no?
Average defender. Certainly more sturdy than JC.

not a single person has mentioned that clarkson just turned 31. kudos to him for being so loveable that he transcends the timeline, but do we want to extend a guy who is over thirty to a multiyear? when is he going to start to decline? i guess if it's a decreasing contract than this could work but i've been against him on the future team from the moment they traded away the core.