What's new

Collin Sexton Stat Deep Dive

Okay... thought of one guy that made a jump in creation... Demar DeRozan... Does Sexton have the ability to go from 4ish assists to 6ish assists a game? I think that for him to fully be realized you will need a wing that can be a Tyrese Haliburton type. Like if Detroit didn't get Ivey I think Sexton with Cade is an awesome combo... potentially.
Does Luka fit this description?

Maybe it would have turned around with Mobley and Allen behind him....and his issues could be mitigated if he wasn't guarding opposing SG's. But unfortunately, my hunch is that CLE probably does not have their feel good nice season if Sexton is playing last year unless they put him on the bench. The nice thing is that we're not paying him like a bonafide starter. Worse case scenario, I think he continues to put up huge numbers and he will always be able to be traded because of his relatively low salary.
Exactly... I just think if you throw Collin, Garland, and Love out there on defense you can't expect to be really functional. I think Garland may end up struggling a bit sharing ball handling duties with Don this year. We shall see.

I mean... Luka is his own solar system. I'm not sure Sexton would be a lot better than Dinwiddie in that role.

I think both guys would benefit from a pass first backcourt mate.

Collin Sexton will put up fine raw numbers, but his impact numbers have been horrific. He’s a sixth man type until he can either pass or defend at a better level.

I will say, however, that his defensive impact metrics are so bad it’s almost to a point where it can’t be that bad because no one is that bad.
Cavs were so terrible in Sexton's first 3 years. They went thru 4 head coaches during that period and were trading away all their vets. The first year they just threw him out there with a bunch of grumpy leftover vets from Lebron's tenure (ie JR Smith). They drafted Garland after his rookie season. They had some really bad characters such as Kevin Porter Jr and Andre Drummond on the team. Last year they told him to just play off the ball in a new role and then he got injured. They finally added terrific defenders in Allen and then Mobley last year but then Sexton got hurt at the beginning of the season.

I think there's definitely room for him to improve. Hopefully the Jazz give him a role and he needs to learn to play within the team. He seems like a good kid and a hard worker. No doubt he's already a very good scorer but he obviously needs to do more. Not many NBA players have averaged over 24PPG at age 21 so there is definitely alot of talent there.

THT is another kid that I'm excited about. Lakers never put him in a position to succeed either.

How we feeling about a Scoot/Sexton backcourt?
You can probably sell me on Black/Sexton or Amen/Sexton but honestly not sure about building the team around 2 short guards even if both are explosive. Sexton likely goes to the bench or is eventually traded in that scenario.

I'm not entirely sold that any team should be building around a 6'-1" guard in today's NBA which is why I was fine they traded Don. If they can get 75% of his production from Sexton while only paying him 1/3 of Don's salary I'm more than fine with it especially considering all the other picks/players they got from that trade. TBH not convinced that Don/Garland works long term in Cleveland.

Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Dyson Daniels (if he's good)... would be the type of backcourt mates you'd want.

One guy to keep an eye on is Lonzo Ball. He may just be done... this knee thing is scary as hell. I wonder if they struggle if they would do a Ball for Conley deal and give us something for our trouble. Ayo would be another potential fit with Collin... and they don't have much they can send in the way of picks... so maybe Ayo could be on the table?

Dalano Banton could be a fit... but I doubt he's ever a good shooter.
Banton looks excellent in G league but horrendous in half-court NBA basketball.

- George

Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Dyson Daniels (if he's good)... would be the type of backcourt mates you'd want.

One guy to keep an eye on is Lonzo Ball. He may just be done... this knee thing is scary as hell. I wonder if they struggle if they would do a Ball for Conley deal and give us something for our trouble. Ayo would be another potential fit with Collin... and they don't have much they can send in the way of picks... so maybe Ayo could be on the table?

Dalano Banton could be a fit... but I doubt he's ever a good shooter.

I don’t think anyone is saying this….but we really shouldn’t be making roster decisions around Collin Sexton. He is hard to build around, but that’s why he’s a 6th man type and not a star player. I say we just let him play point and let it roll. He’ll be the tank commander, hold onto his value, and maybe even improve his value/turn into a feature player.

I don’t think the Jazz have a single player who you can be sure is a part of the future, but I have much higher hopes for Lauri personally.

On Lonzo….I never hope for injury, but it sure sounds like a situation where he might need another surgery. If that’s the case, Conley is a good trade match for him. Lonzo is the type of risk we should go for. Not because he fits next to Sexton, but because he fits around everyone. When healthy he’s such a good player.

I don’t think anyone is saying this….but we really shouldn’t be making roster decisions around Collin Sexton. He is hard to build around, but that’s why he’s a 6th man type and not a star player. I say we just let him play point and let it roll. He’ll be the tank commander, hold onto his value, and maybe even improve his value/turn into a feature player.

I don’t think the Jazz have a single player who you can be sure is a part of the future, but I have much higher hopes for Lauri personally.

On Lonzo….I never hope for injury, but it sure sounds like a situation where he might need another surgery. If that’s the case, Conley is a good trade match for him. Lonzo is the type of risk we should go for. Not because he fits next to Sexton, but because he fits around everyone. When healthy he’s such a good player.
I was more spit-balling on the type of players that would end up being an ideal fit with Sexton on a good team. He could be a building block in the right situation... but not someone we build around.

Lonzo is a strong tank move... may be out a year... so provides nothing where there was a good vet.

I was more spit-balling on the type of players that would end up being an ideal fit with Sexton on a good team. He could be a building block in the right situation... but not someone we build around.

Lonzo is a strong tank move... may be out a year... so provides nothing where there was a good vet.
I agree. High volume scorers that can still be semi-efficient even when guarded tight are valuable. You have to have guys that can get their shot off even against a good defense. Hopefully Sexton rounds out his game a little, but even if not he could theoretically be part of a good team with the right pieces surrounding him.

Yes.
Luka, Lebron, Lonzo/Lamelo, Cade, Simmons, potentially Dyson Daniels are the types of big playmakers where Sexton could really thrive as an efficient scoring guard. Of all those teams the Pistons were the only ones with capspace this summer but Ivey fell to them in the draft.

With that said I like all these kids but DA/DZ can't get married to any of them at this point. He needs to just draft BPA regardless of position. Hopefully 2-3 of these kids from the Cle/Minn trades will be fits moving forward as the roster construction evolves the next few years.

Okay... thought of one guy that made a jump in creation... Demar DeRozan... Does Sexton have the ability to go from 4ish assists to 6ish assists a game? I think that for him to fully be realized you will need a wing that can be a Tyrese Haliburton type. Like if Detroit didn't get Ivey I think Sexton with Cade is an awesome combo... potentially.
Chauncey Billups made the leap.

I'm not too concerned about Sexton. I think he'll have more value as an asset then as part of the core going forward. He will score a lot, develop some parts of his game, and then when he has an expiring contract, he'll get moved to a team that needs a sixth man scorer.

This league belongs to tall wings.