What's new

Coronavirus

I could be wrong but I think it did just change in the last 24-48 hours.

I could believe that I just happened to be looking at it for other reasons.

The travel ban between China and the USA is very frustrating for me. I was planning to visit home in February but then this all hit. Now I cant go back to the US until at least October due to restrictions between the two countries and likely in October I cant travel due to being in school. But I am sure lots of people are dealing with that. I am pretty happy over here for now but am pretty homesick to see my close friends and family.

I could go home but I cant return to China and my PhD program starts in September and I dont want to risk that. It was very hard for me to get in to the top school in China. It worked out nice for me though. There is no way I could get into a University this good in the USA. Tsinghua is a top tier University. Oddly I just found out it was started by USA money after the Boxer revolution in China.

Also I want my Girlfriend to come with me if I go home to visit but she cant go to the USA and I cant come back to China if I leave.

This is a real first world problem but I am not working until I go to school. So I have money and time to travel right now but cant. I really want to visit a bunch of places. Ill travel around China more but thats less exciting to me. I have already seen a large chunk of China.

Its been an oddly positive thing for me to be in China right now facing discrimination. I have seen discrimination a lot in my life, but rarely have I been the one discriminated against and its given me better understanding. Although I understand that its different and everyones situation is unique. I think its going to get a lot worse here and I know its going to get a lot worse for Asians in the USA. Why do people treat others like that? It makes no sense to me. In the USA I understand not liking China's government but why does that effect how you treat someone who is from there? I would think now more than ever people would be nice to each other. The entire world is dealing with the same issue, you would think that would give us all empathy for others and be kinder, yet the opposite is happening.

I hear a lot from Chinese friends when I face discrimination here that person sucks dont worry about it or whatever ignore them. But that doesnt really help to hear. I hear a lot of things I would have told my friends back home and realized that what actually helps is taking action. If a bar/restaurant wont let me in because I am white I want my friends to yell at them and tell them they are being dumb, basically stick up for me verbally. I want my friends to say they wont go back because I sure as **** wont return to a place like that. For me I can always just say ill go home to the US if its bad enough. But its sad to think of people dealing with this that are home. I can write a lot about why it happening here and most of it is due to ignorance but that isnt the point of this post.

One major issue is that China's government is trying to look good to its people. They are allowing media and other places to show that the virus is only happening from people entering the country and are showing how poorly USA is dealing with it. What they are not saying is that all the new cases in China are from Chinese people returning to China, not foreigners returning. There are lots of other issues but that is a big one here. In the USA the Republican party(the Democrats would do the same thing if they thought it would help them) is doing the same thing. They want to keep power and look good so they are attacking China and are going to keep attacking China which is going to lead to more discrimination against Asians in general. Its already bad enough in the USA and its going to get worse over the next few months.

From someone in China being treated poorly at times right now please make sure to treat Asians in the USA with extra kindness right now for me. They are facing a lot of racism and they dont deserve it. Asians in the USA didnt start the virus and are suffering from it just like you.

Its been an oddly positive thing for me to be in China right now facing discrimination. I have seen discrimination a lot in my life, but rarely have I been the one discriminated against and its given me better understanding. Although I understand that its different and everyones situation is unique. I think its going to get a lot worse here and I know its going to get a lot worse for Asians in the USA. Why do people treat others like that? It makes no sense to me. In the USA I understand not liking China's government but why does that effect how you treat someone who is from there? I would think now more than ever people would be nice to each other. The entire world is dealing with the same issue, you would think that would give us all empathy for others and be kinder, yet the opposite is happening.

I hear a lot from Chinese friends when I face discrimination here that person sucks dont worry about it or whatever ignore them. But that doesnt really help to hear. I hear a lot of things I would have told my friends back home and realized that what actually helps is taking action. If a bar/restaurant wont let me in because I am white I want my friends to yell at them and tell them they are being dumb, basically stick up for me verbally. I want my friends to say they wont go back because I sure as **** wont return to a place like that. For me I can always just say ill go home to the US if its bad enough. But its sad to think of people dealing with this that are home. I can write a lot about why it happening here and most of it is due to ignorance but that isnt the point of this post.

One major issue is that China's government is trying to look good to its people. They are allowing media and other places to show that the virus is only happening from people entering the country and are showing how poorly USA is dealing with it. What they are not saying is that all the new cases in China are from Chinese people returning to China, not foreigners returning. There are lots of other issues but that is a big one here. In the USA the Republican party(the Democrats would do the same thing if they thought it would help them) is doing the same thing. They want to keep power and look good so they are attacking China and are going to keep attacking China which is going to lead to more discrimination against Asians in general. Its already bad enough in the USA and its going to get worse over the next few months.

From someone in China being treated poorly at times right now please make sure to treat Asians in the USA with extra kindness right now for me. They are facing a lot of racism and they dont deserve it. Asians in the USA didnt start the virus and are suffering from it just like you.

Tell people you're ****ing Canadian. Dumb arse Americans...

Is it because you're an arsehole? Normally why people are rude to me.
Yeah, sometimes. All foreigners are getting grief here right now though. Like USA there's a small vocal minority that's racist. It's much worse for black people here right now. They are getting hella grief. Especially after some guy who had the virus didn't want to be treated and they were trying to force him to take some shot he didn't want and he bit the nurse. I know you've been bit more than once. A lot of Chinese were outraged at him. There's been lots of crazy stories both ways here.

Could not roll my eyes harder, are you claiming to be a physician now that writes letters this way?

Do you really think you'd be able to justify a charge code with that letter?
First, let's not conflate letters with billing. As I've said, stating an intervention, coupled with a belief that the benefits outweigh the risks, is synonymous with one's rationalization of treatment decisions, and often written that way in the plan. When someone is asked to opine in writing on something outside the actual medical record, it's generally going to be very brief, but large enough to convey relevant context of rationale. But no, I don't write the treatment plan that way. I write it very concretely, as if it's read by the patient, because that's what I print so that there's no ambiguity [for them], because I hate the lack of specifics that are found in most notes, especially "continue current treatment." But justifying a "charge code"? Absolutely, so long as you've got the other requirements. But that's really beside the point, because this isn't a document written to be submitted to the insurance. It seems you've extrapolated your experience reading insurance documents beyond their applicability, and attempts to give any kind of clarity or insight to what these mean from the perspective of a physician has been met with heavy resistance. Perhaps one of us is more emotionally invested in a certain interpretation that's not amenable to clarifying information.

Could not roll my eyes harder, are you claiming to be a physician now that writes letters this way?

Do you really think you'd be able to justify a charge code with that letter?

infection covered most of what I would say in his response, so (as someone who reports on treatment plans, on internal notes, and on billing--and this letter was none of the above), I'll just echo that the style and even the vocabulary will change between different documents for different purposes from the same physician.

Yes. This whole mask thing is a ****ing joke. Very few are wearing the N95 masks and a bandana? Really?? I'll not wear one again.

Filtering out the largest 10% of the droplets still means filtering out half the germ load. It's a small thing that we do to protect others.

Yeah, sometimes. All foreigners are getting grief here right now though. Like USA there's a small vocal minority that's racist. It's much worse for black people here right now. They are getting hella grief. Especially after some guy who had the virus didn't want to be treated and they were trying to force him to take some shot he didn't want and he bit the nurse. I know you've been bit more than once. A lot of Chinese were outraged at him. There's been lots of crazy stories both ways here.

Only once! Without consent... At least the racist minority isnt a majority. A much as i hate to say it, media culture drives so much this