What's new

Coronavirus

To be clear, I’m not trying to downplay, but growth is more linear to cubic vs. exponential.

There’s no bow to wrap on this. Deaths are constant and we took our foot off the gas as the wrong time. Judging by watching others in my daily adventures, people seem to be acting like it’s February and there’s nothing to see.
I don't think we needed to stay in full shutdown, but people equated things opening back up with everything being back to normal. We needed more vigilance with masks and distancing as we opened back up but we got less, way less.

A guy I work with was pretty sure the warmer weather was going to slow COVID-19 down. I told him that it has been spreading just fine in warm weather in other parts of the world, but I think he was still pretty sure it would make cases go down. He also said something about how sunlight kills the virus. After leaving the conversation I started thinking he actually thought that sunlight essentially cured it, not just that direct sunlight on contaminated surfaces killed the virus, but that sunlight somehow rooted the virus out and killed it.

To be clear, I’m not trying to downplay, but growth is more linear to cubic vs. exponential.

There’s no bow to wrap on this. Deaths are constant and we took our foot off the gas as the wrong time. Judging by watching others in my daily adventures, people seem to be acting like it’s February and there’s nothing to see.

Alpine school district just had a baseball tournament for its high schools. Jordan actually cancelled theirs... I’m unaware of any other district along the Wasatch front having baseball tournaments. Most districts along the front however, are going full on regular football workouts/practices.

I’ve also noticed that most people aren’t wearing masks inside of stores. Which is kind of dumb. Then again, we give Donald a 52 percent approval so it shouldn’t be surprising that we are doin dumb things.

LDS general conference will be online again in the fall. It was announced a few days ago... so clearly, they’re not back to normal (yet)

It’s a sad day when our president talks about we’ve beaten the virus and another 1k families learn a family member dies. No goodbyes or funerals.

We haven’t beaten ****. And it won’t be beat this year.

I hope you and yours make it out unscathed.

I went out today. The place I intended to go to was full and had more than an hour wait, so the wife and I went up the road to find something to eat.

We found some food. Yay for us. No one was wearing masks at all. There was no social distancing at all. People gave us dirty looks for wearing masks. This is the highest positive test day to date.

Enjoy 1000 plus positives a day next week Utah. I'll keep doing my part, but most of you will not do yours.

I went out today. The place I intended to go to was full and had more than an hour wait, so the wife and I went up the road to find something to eat.

We found some food. Yay for us. No one was wearing masks at all. There was no social distancing at all. People gave us dirty looks for wearing masks. This is the highest positive test day to date.

Enjoy 1000 plus positives a day next week Utah. I'll keep doing my part, but most of you will not do yours.

This is America, loser!

I'm from NYS, lived in New England, Ohio, Iowa, and Florida, and there is more ignorance in Utah than any of those states with Florida a close second. And there is a major reason for that, which I don't want to go into here because I know it will offend some people. Coincidentally, Utah and Florida are Trump states, but that isn't the only reason I say this. People here are oblivious to things, have tunnel vision. I have discussed this with others who are not native to Utah and they have noticed the same things, so it's not just a personal observation.

While I agree that the Corona Virus is not generally lethal, it is dangerous for the elderly and those with certain health conditions, which is why we need to be careful about social distancing, wearing masks in public places, and sanitizing our hands. Sometimes, I myself, have forgotten to use my mask when entering a market because I see so many people not wearing them, and then I realize have to go back to my car to get it. Wearing them encourages others to do likewise, and judging by the recent spikes here, it is evident we need to continue.

On the other hand, I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, as a recent report came out that the virus is starting to lose its potency. Perhaps this is related to herd immunity. But this is just hearsay and I don't claim to be an authority on this. So, it is best that we continue to exercise precaution.

I absolutely put my money on us having over 1000 new positive tests multiple days in June.

Today’s death count, 373, is the lowest since March 26th. Now, obviously you can say that the reporting is always less on the weekends, and that’s true. But consider that since March 26th there have been 21 other weekend days, none of which that low. The bad news is that’s still a big number, and that there are still new cases. However, we were talking about 2-3k per day being a “new normal” indefinitely. We’ve never hit 3k and we haven’t hit 2k in over a month. Our one-week average for the past week is 862 per day. The CDC has come out saying the new estimated mortality rate is 0.4% or less. And I’m pretty sure Fauci hasn’t been seen in two weeks.

Yes, I get that it could/should be better, but our reality is much better than where we assumed we’d be two months ago, one month ago, or even two weeks ago. Perhaps ask yourself where you think we will be in a month, then ask yourself if it’s a good or bad thing if we come in significantly under that.

But, I get it. Glass half empty and all.

Today’s death count, 373, is the lowest since March 26th. Now, obviously you can say that the reporting is always less on the weekends, and that’s true. But consider that since March 26th there have been 21 other weekend days, none of which that low. The bad news is that’s still a big number, and that there are still new cases. However, we were talking about 2-3k per day being a “new normal” indefinitely. We’ve never hit 3k and we haven’t hit 2k in over a month. Our one-week average for the past week is 862 per day. The CDC has come out saying the new estimated mortality rate is 0.4% or less. And I’m pretty sure Fauci hasn’t been seen in two weeks.

Yes, I get that it could/should be better, but our reality is much better than where we assumed we’d be two months ago, one month ago, or even two weeks ago. Perhaps ask yourself where you think we will be in a month, then ask yourself if it’s a good or bad thing if we come in significantly under that.

But, I get it. Glass half empty and all.
I'm interested to see how this ages.

I'm interested to see how this ages.
I’m not certain what age has to do with it. I’m not declaring it over, though this has gotten so polarized that taking an optimistic view is conflated with some kind of denial. I’m stating that, as of now, and for a while, we’ve seen a pretty sizable disparity between where we are and where we’ve thought we’d be.

masks are so overrated for general use. The overwhelming transmission has been from being in enclosed close confines with others for prolonged periods of time, and touching your face with your hands. Wearing masks for specific closed confined exposure to people sure but people walking around in public with a mask thinking that's going to stop them getting it is a little useless.

Wearing masks for specific closed confined exposure to people sure but people walking around in public with a mask thinking that's going to stop them getting it is a little useless.

I have no idea what the efficacy of the mask actually is, but, it’s been explained often enough that the mask is not protection for the person wearing it, but rather protection for others, should the mask wearer be asymptomatic, and able to spread it through sneezing, coughing, or even talking. If I’m wearing a mask, and everyone near me is not, I can’t expect to be protected, but they will be to some degree more protected from me. Sort of a one for all, all for one approach where masks are concerned, if they are going to help stop the spread at all.

masks are so overrated for general use. The overwhelming transmission has been from being in enclosed close confines with others for prolonged periods of time, and touching your face with your hands. Wearing masks for specific closed confined exposure to people sure but people walking around in public with a mask thinking that's going to stop them getting it is a little useless.
Sure. But wearing a mask certainly doesn't make the spreading of the virus worse and wearing a mask for a short time while going into a public place is pretty easy so we should just do it anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Sure. But wearing a mask certainly doesn't make the spreading of the virus worse and wearing a mask for a short time while going into a public place is pretty easy so we should just do it anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Except there is a school of thought that it can cause you to touch your face more, thereby helping to enable transmission more.

I can’t believe the WHO haven’t had a succinct clear researched policy on masks prior to this.

I think the science backs up your assertion. I'm still wearing a mask if I have to be around anyone for any length of time. We have been asked to wear them around the office, which I do (although most do not). And I wear one to the grocery store because way too many people get too close. But I'm taking as much care as possible to ensure that I stay away from people as I'm in a high risk category. And I've decided to quit freaking out about what other people choose to do.