What's new

Coronavirus

Back in the office today after working at home since March 13. I'm going to start going in 2 days a week. We had some layoffs so I "inherited" a new department that requires me to be in and out of conference calls all day the for the time being while I set things up - it's just better to take them in my office as opposed to home where my wife, son and dog all need me for something every 15 minutes. My work location usually houses about 100 or so employees (the main office is in NYC) - right now there are 3 people here. The other tenants in my office building either closed up shop or have all their folks working from home as well. I think there are more security guards here than actual working people, lol.

Very strange - my white board has deals on it that closed months ago and I still have my Utah Jazz 2019-20 schedule pinned on my wall.

My company hasn't even started Phase 1 of the return to work process yet - it's supposed to be 3 phases spread out over several months - about 85% of the company can work from home if they have to so there's no rush. Rumor has it they're going to sell one of their locations and then lease a smaller place and have most folks WFH permanently - I think we can expect to see a lot of companies do something like this.

One good thing about being in an empty office - unfettered access to the supply closet. If anyone needs any manila folders, I'm your man!

Back in the office today after working at home since March 13. I'm going to start going in 2 days a week. We had some layoffs so I "inherited" a new department that requires me to be in and out of conference calls all day the for the time being while I set things up - it's just better to take them in my office as opposed to home where my wife, son and dog all need me for something every 15 minutes. My work location usually houses about 100 or so employees (the main office is in NYC) - right now there are 3 people here. The other tenants in my office building either closed up shop or have all their folks working from home as well. I think there are more security guards here than actual working people, lol.

Very strange - my white board has deals on it that closed months ago and I still have my Utah Jazz 2019-20 schedule pinned on my wall.

My company hasn't even started Phase 1 of the return to work process yet - it's supposed to be 3 phases spread out over several months - about 85% of the company can work from home if they have to so there's no rush. Rumor has it they're going to sell one of their locations and then lease a smaller place and have most folks WFH permanently - I think we can expect to see a lot of companies do something like this.

One good thing about being in an empty office - unfettered access to the supply closet. If anyone needs any manila folders, I'm your man!
I've been working from home since 03/18. There are still a number of people that have been going in but there was a positive case just today so they are sending everyone home. This will definitely delay reopening the office.

I think we're going to see a very clear jump to further telecommuting and less emphasis on co-location (reduction of real estate and nominal cost of security/services/heating/maintenance/etc). I also think you're going to see employers open up jobs more fully - you can pay a software programmer living in Cleveland less than what it would command in San Jose.

Telecommuting obviously isn't new, but Covid-19 kickstarted the revolution to the n'th degree.

I think we're going to see a very clear jump to further telecommuting and less emphasis on co-location (reduction of real estate and nominal cost of security/services/heating/maintenance/etc). I also think you're going to see employers open up jobs more fully - you can pay a software programmer living in Cleveland less than what it would command in San Jose.

Telecommuting obviously isn't new, but Covid-19 kickstarted the revolution to the n'th degree.

I live in a cheaper, to an extent, area and my company is in silicon vally. So I kind of met them in the middle. I make a lot more than if I worked for a local company and bit less if I lived in San Fran/Cupertino area. Kind of a win win for everyone.

Sorry

Sorry to hear that. I know you weren't super close but that's really hard to deal with and sad.

It's been rough, man. I'm pretty private (believe it or not not haha) and I've shared more about my mom on Jazzfanz than I have with anyone.

I've been wanting to talk to her for a while. I'm going through a lot of life's typical **** and trying to keep my head above water.

I have lots of mixed emotions now.

Yep, which will lead to another round of urban flight similar to what occurred in the 1960's.

I can tell you that ****ed up NYC for about 25 years

Yep, which will lead to another round of urban flight similar to what occurred in the 1960's.

I can tell you that ****ed up NYC for about 25 years
Are you suggesting that's a problem that needs to be avoided, or just pointing out the unfortunate downside? To me this is a lot like jobs that are becoming obsolete and/or phasing into alternative solutions, such as coal mining. I think it's unfortunate if people and/or towns are losing their livelihood or their income and careers are dissolving, but I don't think it wise to try to prop it up and support something that isn't working or isn't sustainable just for the sake of propping it up, or just because there are negative consequences. Now, if the reason those things are dying out is partly political, then certainly minimizing the political impact of that is appropriate, but landscapes change for a multitude of reasons. If urban areas struggle economically as the dynamics of employment change, what to do, beside finding different ways for those urban areas to be fertile soil economic growth?

Are you suggesting that's a problem that needs to be avoided, or just pointing out the unfortunate downside?

For most areas I would say the latter. However it goes without saying NYC is an international cultural/tourist mecca and would do us well to preserve as much as possible.

Being from Utah I'm sure you remember the story of Brian Watkins - we don't want to go back to that ugliness.

If my company allowed me to go anywhere, I would move from SLC, likely to the northwest. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of places worse than SLC, but I would prefer a place where I can drive for ten minutes and be in the middle of nowhere vs. driving for ten minutes and be at the third Walmart down the road.

It's been rough, man. I'm pretty private (believe it or not not haha) and I've shared more about my mom on Jazzfanz than I have with anyone.

I've been wanting to talk to her for a while. I'm going through a lot of life's typical **** and trying to keep my head above water.

I have lots of mixed emotions now.

I'm sad to hear about your mom.

I don't believe the issues you have with your mom are the same as the issues I had with my father, but the hurt and anger are probably similar. I never had a discussion with my dad about how much he had hurt me or anything like that, and I held that anger close for many, many years. When he died in April, I resolved at that time to try to let go of the bad and just remember the good (or at least the neutral). I don't know if you will have the same experience, but I have felt remarkably free of all the anger and hurt since he died. It seems to have been buried with him. Instead, I feel more compassion than I expected, and a lot of relief to not have to deal with it (or him) anymore. It sounds callous, but I suspect you are going to understand this.

Take care, feel whatever you need to feel.

Oh, and **** COVID.

My wife and I have already discussed moving out of the Salt Lake Valley into a more rural (cheaper) part of Utah if this telecommuting thing becomes permanent.
Hell ya, I wish I could do that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

For most areas I would say the latter. However it goes without saying NYC is an international cultural/tourist mecca and would do us well to preserve as much as possible.

Being from Utah I'm sure you remember the story of Brian Watkins - we don't want to go back to that ugliness.

put me down on the list of people who think NYC’s cultural value has been wildly overstated since at least the mid-70s. It would be improved by some dwindling.

put me down on the list of people who think NYC’s cultural value has been wildly overstated since at least the mid-70s. It would be improved by some dwindling.

I only wish the rest of the entire world thought like you. If l had quarter for every slack jawed yokel that l gave directions to when l worked in lower Manhattan, l could have retired years ago.

I only wish the rest of the entire world thought like you. If l had quarter for every slack jawed yokel that l gave directions to when l worked in lower Manhattan, l could have retired years ago.
The supreme confidence that people have about the cultural value of New York—even in a place like Los Angeles, which is stuffed full of super talented people—astounds me. It’s a real testament to the weird staying power of myths.

I feel like I witnessed the demise of a city’s cultural value—a demise similar to what happened earlier in NYC—in my relationship to SF. I started going there quite a bit in the late 90s and was absolutely charged-up by the place. It’s now a douchey shadow of its former self. I literally do not want to go there. And yet some people think it’s dope as ever. I’ll take a hard pass on the culture bred by high finance, real estate values, and tech.

Last edited:
Good luck, man. I mean it.

Thanks mate, we've now divided the hospital into hot and cold, spending hours in full PPE, had to wrestle a covid positive patient yesterday. As health and safety rep I've been having to hector management over supplying us with enough PPE. Got a day off today, feeling exhausted.

Thanks mate, we've now divided the hospital into hot and cold, spending hours in full PPE, had to wrestle a covid positive patient yesterday. As health and safety rep I've been having to hector management over supplying us with enough PPE. Got a day off today, feeling exhausted.
That sounds rough. Hang in there.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app