What's new

Coronavirus

I haven’t heard anything about mandating your booster be the same as your initial vaccine.
So… when I get my booster next month, I’ll be mix-and-matching Moderna to my original Pfizer.
I’ll let you guys know if I die.
I mean Ghostbusters taught us to not cross the streams... your funeral though.

I haven’t heard anything about mandating your booster be the same as your initial vaccine.
So… when I get my booster next month, I’ll be mix-and-matching Moderna to my original Pfizer.
I’ll let you guys know if I die.
There are currently studies going on regarding hybridization (taking a different vaccine as a booster) under the theory that it may get you close to "superimmunity" that having Covid and the vaccine has done. So mixed vaccines may be the future.

This is a tough one in our house. My kid is 8, so he doesn't have to get the vaccine yet but we know it is coming. The moment it is approved for his age group the school will mandate it. In the data I've seen so far, I'm okay with the reduced dosage Pfizer vaccine but I'm not entrusted with making those decisions. My wife has absolute say over it. She is against getting our kid the mRNA vaccine, and seemingly more strongly entrenched every day.

Keep in mind that my wife is an expert. She is a scientist who works with DNA for a government agency. She knows the PCR testing they do to detect COVID so well that back in university she did the PCR amplification by hand moving a sample in and out of an ice-filled cooler. She is part of an auditing team that certifies other labs and is recognized as an expert witness in her field by the state.

My wife is not anti-vax, and in fact was the first member of our family to get vaccinated. She has deep concerns over the myocarditis statistics for children in my son's age range versus the statistics of lasting negative effects from COVID infection for children in my son's age range. Her concerns are extremely informed and specific, and she's a scientist and the Mom. I'm only an engineer and the Dad. I know enough to know I'm not winning this one. I really need more and better data to come out before the mandates come down or we might be moving to another state.
In CA and am concerned as well. Wife is not going to let the kids get the vaccine and the mandate is coming. I really don't want to pull my kids out of school but not sure how to get her on board. She's no expert... maybe an internet expert. I do share some concerns on a vaccine for kids being mandated in this case. I know they get other vaccines but those have been around longer and are less dangerous. My son wants the vaccine... freshmen in high school and doesn't want to leave his school/friends.

Part of the complication is we all had Covid already and all of us breezed through it. So I am not sure it will cause us any trouble if we went through it again... so trying to get her to expose her kids to a different risk (even if it is low) is really just to protect others... its a valid reason but kinda tough. CA is wildly inconsistent too... I don't believe the teachers are mandated to get the vaccine but kids will have to? One group is more at risk here.

I'm kinda just hoping either it isn't approved soon or CA chills a bit... otherwise its gonna get weird in my house. Maybe my wife will calm down too but I do understand some of her hesitance here. Being a parent is scary AF sometimes.

There are currently studies going on regarding hybridization (taking a different vaccine as a booster) under the theory that it may get you close to "superimmunity" that having Covid and the vaccine has done. So mixed vaccines may be the future.
Here’s hoping it works for me!

In CA and am concerned as well. Wife is not going to let the kids get the vaccine and the mandate is coming. I really don't want to pull my kids out of school but not sure how to get her on board. She's no expert... maybe an internet expert. I do share some concerns on a vaccine for kids being mandated in this case. I know they get other vaccines but those have been around longer and are less dangerous. My son wants the vaccine... freshmen in high school and doesn't want to leave his school/friends.

Part of the complication is we all had Covid already and all of us breezed through it. So I am not sure it will cause us any trouble if we went through it again... so trying to get her to expose her kids to a different risk (even if it is low) is really just to protect others... its a valid reason but kinda tough. CA is wildly inconsistent too... I don't believe the teachers are mandated to get the vaccine but kids will have to? One group is more at risk here.

I'm kinda just hoping either it isn't approved soon or CA chills a bit... otherwise its gonna get weird in my house. Maybe my wife will calm down too but I do understand some of her hesitance here. Being a parent is scary AF sometimes.
The other thing for us, even before the vaccine, (my kids are still too young to get it) was weighing their physical health with their mental health. Every kid is different, but my oldest needed socialization, so we still allowed her to do a few things that still had somewhat lower risks (gymnastics with masks in a facility with two giant garage doors that vents a ton of air, and of course do school in person starting this last December.

The same thing goes for us all. Make sure you find a balance to destress.

The hardest thing for me went from playing basketball 3-5 times per week down to 0 for nearly a year and a half. Now we can play again, but we are getting very small groups. I also played regularly in pickup league in PDX, with a requirement that you had to have played varsity in HS with a recommendation from another player, or college or above. After I moved out of Portland I tried to time work visits to coincide with the weekly 2.5 hour game. It always had a wait list (capped at 14 people), and now it is cancelled, possibly permanently. I've been so sedentary since Covid I'd probably tear something if I tried to play more than an hour right now.

The other thing for us, even before the vaccine, (my kids are still too young to get it) was weighing their physical health with their mental health. Every kid is different, but my oldest needed socialization, so we still allowed her to do a few things that still had somewhat lower risks (gymnastics with masks in a facility with two giant garage doors that vents a ton of air, and of course do school in person starting this last December.

The same thing goes for us all. Make sure you find a balance to destress.

The hardest thing for me went from playing basketball 3-5 times per week down to 0 for nearly a year and a half. Now we can play again, but we are getting very small groups. I also played regularly in pickup league in PDX, with a requirement that you had to have played varsity in HS with a recommendation from another player, or college or above. After I moved out of Portland I tried to time work visits to coincide with the weekly 2.5 hour game. It always had a wait list (capped at 14 people), and now it is cancelled, possibly permanently. I've been so sedentary since Covid I'd probably tear something if I tried to play more than an hour right now.
Thats a good point I will use in my opening arguments when the mandate comes down. "honey it sucks but its a small risk and you really gonna wreck the kids mental health and social life?" I think only my oldest will fall under the mandate this year. I think when push comes to shove she will give up the fight.

I'm with you on the basketball. We have our 3x week run going and I immediately lost 10 lbs. We actually played outside the rest of the year but only one day a week and it was rough. Shooting outside with the wind on a double rim... then the concrete is slippery and hard AF. Dudes would just join in so quality got rough. I was so happy to go back inside with our normal dudes. Good pickup runs and leagues are tough to find.

I think I drank 11 gallons of water today sipping all day to justify not wearing my mask.

article in the Lancet in which a large scale study shows protection from infection with Pfizer drops from 88% post second jab to 47% at six months. Good news is the protection against hospitalization remained high at 90 % including delta. So vaxxed protected from serious disease which is great, but the spreading issue not so clear.

article in the Lancet in which a large scale study shows protection from infection with Pfizer drops from 88% post second jab to 47% at six months. Good news is the protection against hospitalization remained high at 90 % including delta. So vaxxed protected from serious disease which is great, but the spreading issue not so clear.
Yup. Vaccination kept me alive / protected from serious disease. Breakthrough sucked, but it could have been a helluva lot worse.

A Colorado health system is limiting transplants to those that are vaccinated.

are they going to then deny organs to chronic smokers, alcoholics, morbidly obese etc .. ??

are they going to then deny organs to chronic smokers, alcoholics, morbidly obese etc .. ??
I thought likelihood of proper use was already a part of transplant considerations, but I could be wrong. Do we currently give lung transplants to smokers, or liver transplants to alcoholics, at least when there are other, viable candidates? What organs does obesity stress to the point of making a transplant ill-used?

I'm pretty okay with not giving organ transplants to people who abuse them. If you're a heavy smoker and wasted the lungs were given you, why should you get a replacement over someone who may simply had a genetic predisposition?