What's new

Coronavirus

Two years later and we're still dealing with this. My company made the announcement this week that they're vacating their physical office space - we are officially working from home permanently. It will save some bucks on the bottom line and be more green-friendly, but the quiet silence of a house can be maddening on a Thursday morning.

People really hate to say things such as 'new normal', but this is a new normal whether they like it or not. And we only have ourselves to blame.
I read an article that there is debate whether working from home is more green-friendly than working in an office. They cite things like we are more likely to leave lights on around the house, run appliances more frequently, TVs, etc. when we are home, but for a lot of households the house is dark when they are at work. So it might be equal or even a little less green to work from home than an office. Interesting topic I thought. This whole tracing your carbon foot-print thing unearths a lot of hidden issues you just can't see on the surface.

Ok so I have to go on a brief tangent/rant. Take the mandate in California to only use re-usable bags in grocery stores rather than getting new bags every time you go. An independent group did a study on this and found that the thicker re-usable bags take some ridiculous amount of time to break down, something like 1000x longer than the thin little single use bags we normally get. So for using that bag to help for polution you have to use it 1000 times or more, and there is no way anyone is getting more than maybe 100 uses before they rip or get dirty or otherwise get thrown out. Not to mention we often get new ones because we forget, and they estimated as many as 50% or more of all trips to the store resulted in people paying the dime to get new bags. Then they looked at production methods and raw materials and found that the heavier bags were not just a thicker version of the thin cheap ones, they have to be made out of a different kind of plastic that is more resource-intensive to creates. So it overall had a carbon footprint something like up to 2000 times larger than the cheap thin ones. Obviously I am paraphrasing and estimating, I cannot remember the exact numbers. So anyway, it is a complete failure for what it is trying to accomplish, but everyone can pat themselves on the back that they used their bag a few times instead of getting a new one, right? So much of this is politics and has nothing to do with the actual issue itself.

Ok, off soap box.

I read an article that there is debate whether working from home is more green-friendly than working in an office. They cite things like we are more likely to leave lights on around the house, run appliances more frequently, TVs, etc. when we are home, but for a lot of households the house is dark when they are at work. So it might be equal or even a little less green to work from home than an office. Interesting topic I thought. This whole tracing your carbon foot-print thing unearths a lot of hidden issues you just can't see on the surface.

Ok so I have to go on a brief tangent/rant. Take the mandate in California to only use re-usable bags in grocery stores rather than getting new bags every time you go. An independent group did a study on this and found that the thicker re-usable bags take some ridiculous amount of time to break down, something like 1000x longer than the thin little single use bags we normally get. So for using that bag to help for polution you have to use it 1000 times or more, and there is no way anyone is getting more than maybe 100 uses before they rip or get dirty or otherwise get thrown out. Not to mention we often get new ones because we forget, and they estimated as many as 50% or more of all trips to the store resulted in people paying the dime to get new bags. Then they looked at production methods and raw materials and found that the heavier bags were not just a thicker version of the thin cheap ones, they have to be made out of a different kind of plastic that is more resource-intensive to creates. So it overall had a carbon footprint something like up to 2000 times larger than the cheap thin ones. Obviously I am paraphrasing and estimating, I cannot remember the exact numbers. So anyway, it is a complete failure for what it is trying to accomplish, but everyone can pat themselves on the back that they used their bag a few times instead of getting a new one, right? So much of this is politics and has nothing to do with the actual issue itself.

Ok, off soap box.
Agreed with the bags. People aren't going to reuse them.

As far gas being green, the average American drives 16 miles each way to work. ICE engines are inefficient.

I think for most people the lack of commute alone makes up for the rest.

When I work from home, my office lights are off. I keep my temperature slightly lower when everyone id at school/work and run a micro heater at 100w by my desk.

Not to mention the value of time people have from lack of commute. My office is 10 minutes away, but many have very long commutes.

The thing is, all I said was the data was inconclusive
What you said that I objected to was:
The idea that Omicron is somehow safer for unvaccinated is a wishful thought … and early data is not supporting it.
I objected because that statement does not allow for any protection to be imparted to the unvaccinated by natural infection and I said as much. I welcome your new pivot to reality and notice the eerie similarity of your new position to my earlier position.
it is possible a large portion of those unvaccinated in South Africa has previously been infected by another strain and so had preexisting immunity which would explain why the unvaccinated in South Africa fared so well with Omicron infections. Fauci may be correct. I certainly don't know of any data to contradict him. Preexisting immunity from prior infection may be the explanation
Omicron breaks through vaccinated and those with immunity from prior infection at a much higher rate, you would still expect the immunity to provide additional protection

As far as relying on studies yet to pass peer review, that is all you. All I’m using to present the real world is real world data gathered by reputable sources. With Omicron the data itself is overwhelming in its one-sidedness and it is everywhere one cares to look.

I read an article that there is debate whether working from home is more green-friendly than working in an office. They cite things like we are more likely to leave lights on around the house
Only speaking for myself but literally zero lights get turned on in my house in the daytime. And not because im trying to be "green". Its cause im cheap and trying to save some pennies on my power bill.

Only speaking for myself but literally zero lights get turned on in my house in the daytime. And not because im trying to be "green". Its cause im cheap and trying to save some pennies on my power bill.
That's the case with most everyone and that was the point. By going to an office all those houses are dark. Staying home means they are all lit up. So the argument is that it could burn more energy for everyone to stay home. 8 guys in cubicles using the same florescent lights is less energy than 8 individual houses with all kinds of lights and electronics and appliances and everything running.

To continue with that earlier expressed fear now that we have data to analyze you have to pretend the data doesn’t exist because the data has proved that earlier cautionary fear to be unwarranted.
I’m not pretending anything. I’m waiting to see how this plays out, and I’m hopeful that Omicron is overall mild, results in very few hospitalizations for people vaccinated and boosted, and should I contract it, here’s hoping for no Long Covid symptoms, which has always been my biggest “concern”. In the meantime, masks and social distancing are still my order of the day. You expect me to drop all of my concerns, (and I’ve actually been thinking along your lines anyway where severity of Omicron is concerned), but not being remotely knowledgeable enough to say “it’s 100% proven to produce only mild cases”, I’m watching and waiting to see what results from a Omicron surge. I mean, really, who cares if you think my “fears” are unwarranted? I don’t even perceive my approach to be based off “fear”. I “hope” it does not overwhelm my state’s health care system. And I “hope”, if I ever do develop the Omicron variant, that I avoid brain fog and extreme fatigue. At my age, quality of life has to be my number one aim. That HAS to be #1. I don’t care what your conclusions happen to be, you are not me, and it’s really none of your business to identify my approach as based off “fear”(although you may be speaking of the fear expressed by some medical professionals),and my caution as “unwarranted”. That’s pretty arrogant of you. But that’s OK, I guess you mean well….

That's the case with most everyone and that was the point. By going to an office all those houses are dark. Staying home means they are all lit up. So the argument is that it could burn more energy for everyone to stay home. 8 guys in cubicles using the same florescent lights is less energy than 8 individual houses with all kinds of lights and electronics and appliances and everything running.
No you misunderstood. When Im home in the daytime everything is off. My open blinds provide light. When im at work all the lights are on at work. If I wasn't at work then all the lights would be off at work and all the lights would be off at home. So 8 individuals at home with all their lights off (like me) would use less energy than 8 guys in a cubicle using the same florescent light.

although you may be speaking of the fear expressed by some medical professionals
I was speaking of the government and experts echoed by the media, not you personally. You and I are in 100% agreement that what you choose to do or believe is none of my business. Individuals having the freedom to live life as they see fit is one of the things I value most.

Additionally, I don’t condemn or at least I try not to condemn people for not knowing things unless they are particularly sanctimonious, and that is not you. Some things I know, and some of those things I know really well, but most things I freely admit to knowing little if anything about. I figure that most people are like that, but I do have higher expectations for experts speaking in their field and for people in positions of power whose decisions impact me. To those individuals I am often merciless. If you are taking my strong opposition to those people as a personal attack on you, please know that was never my intention.

As far as basing your approach on fear, I suppose that depends on your definition of fear. That is a question only you can answer. My comment was again directed at the tone of the messaging coming from in-field experts and government officials, not your personal motivations which I don't pretend to be privy to.

Where can I get one? Can I get one to unlock my phone automatically, or turn on my lights when I come home? That'd be sweet!
Yes, actually. You can basically set your phone to run a macro when it's scanned, so that can be to turn on your light, start the hot tub, open a bottle of wine. Or just go to a webpage or open a PDF.

I don't know why they're trying to make news with this. It's not ancient technology, but it's sure not new.

No you misunderstood. When Im home in the daytime everything is off. My open blinds provide light. When im at work all the lights are on at work. If I wasn't at work then all the lights would be off at work and all the lights would be off at home. So 8 individuals at home with all their lights off (like me) would use less energy than 8 guys in a cubicle using the same florescent light.
You are in the minority then.

You are in the minority then.
How do you know this? Done some polling on the topic lately? Seems strange that people would have lights on in their house in the middle of the day. When I turn my lights on I cant even tell they are on because the sun provides enough light to drown out the electric lights. Having lights on at home in the day is pointless, wasteful, and costly. Why would people do that?

How do you know this? Done some polling on the topic lately? Seems strange that people would have lights on in their house in the middle of the day. When I turn my lights on I cant even tell they are on because the sun provides enough light to drown out the electric lights. Having lights on at home in the day is pointless, wasteful, and costly. Why would people do that?
No I read a study that was in a journal. They were looking at the energy usage of home offices compared to work places. I mentioned that in my first post. They said (and I said) it wasn't definitive but that working at home isn't a slam dunk better thing for energy usage or being "green" than working in a centralized place. I thought it was interesting.

The issue that worries me is long haul Covid. Sounds like omicron still can leave people with it and there aren’t any treatments for it. I’d prefer to not feel like **** forever after getting sick with this ****.

Reactions: Red

It's getting really crazy talking to people about how the vaccines don't work when it is abundantly clear that they are saving lives and keeping hospital beds open for people who haven't been vaccinated.

It's getting really crazy talking to people about how the vaccines don't work when it is abundantly clear that they are saving lives and keeping hospital beds open for people who haven't been vaccinated.
People delude themselves in so many ways. A guy at work was all worked up because he said "see, i told you, I put myself at risk getting the stupid vaccine and I haven't even had COVID at all!"

Really pissed him off when I said "yeah, that's how vaccines work."

Seriously though what kind of train of thought is that?