What's new

D'Angelo Russell

I mean, they did sign Terry and Maggette, they just got matched.

I would have accepted those answers instead of the Millsap and Gordon Hayward signings... if we are counting guys we re-signed I'd put Stock, Mailman and D-Will higher on the list... Rudy.

I think we have a shot at good free agents and we haven't really attempted big signings... since Booze and Okur. We are in a place to make a good signing... I just think the market factors (FA class is kind of shallow and lots of teams have space) that make trades a potentially more valuable use of the cap asset.

Well considering a few on that list were guys we were going to keep anyway because they were restricted free agents.....

Take out the restricted free agents, Boozer and Okur, who do you take over 22 year old 18ppg 6apg Russell?

Big dog, Harp, green, Chambers if nba still used 90’s style nba. I’d have to think about Braille the first time around. I’d also take Okur and Booz over him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can argue that he doesn't score at a good percentage so that makes him a bad scorer. But if you break down stats, you can always find a way to find a negative on any player. I'm sure Mitchell has some terrible stats to highlight, but does that mean he's not a scorer?

Dude he's one of the worst players in NBA history at finishing and getting to the foul line.

Lopo: The guy who says you have no balls when you don't want to sign bad to average PG's to be your starter, but will then chastise DL for being safe while trading for George Hill.

Dishonest moron.

I didn't chastise DL for being safe. I just don't give him credit for some aggressive move by sending a 1st round pick in the teens (Taurean Prince by the way) for one year of George Hill. I thought it was a move to make sure we improved but not contended. Aggressive would have been pursuing a player with much higher upside and contract.

Going after Russell and sacrificing some "dry powder" is an aggressive move which could lead to contention. With fantastic PG play, we could be contenders. I firmly believe that. I also believe that Russell has done a lot with a little on a bad team. In a lesser role but one a better team like ours, he could really emerge as a fantastic player.

It's not an argument if Russell is a bad scorer, its provable by facts.

HE SCORES LESS POINTS PER SHOT THAN RICKY RUBIO!

I didn't chastise DL for being safe. I just don't give him credit for some aggressive move by sending a 1st round pick in the teens (Taurean Prince by the way) for one year of George Hill. I thought it was a move to make sure we improved but not contended. Aggressive would have been pursuing a player with much higher upside and contract.

Going after Russell and sacrificing some "dry powder" is an aggressive move which could lead to contention. With fantastic PG play, we could be contenders. I firmly believe that. I also believe that Russell has done a lot with a little on a bad team. In a lesser role but one a better team like ours, he could really emerge as a fantastic player.
Another lesson in moving the goalpost for an aggressive move by Professor Lopo.

The good with Russell to me is that he can shoot well... so he can play off ball. I think he can create shots for himself, but they are inefficient... he also sucks at defense. Good passer but I wouldn't say elite. And he is injury prone.

So if that's all he is... and he doesn't have a huge jump in FTR... what would it cost to replace those skills?

Do you know who that kind of reminds me of... Rodney Hood. I think whatever Rod signs for this offseason will represent a better value than what Russell signs for.

Maybe Russell has a super jump in his areas that need improvement... but it seems like guys that don't draw fouls don't really develop that skill.

Dude he's one of the worst players in NBA history at finishing and getting to the foul line.

Still scores 18+ points per game with a better EFG% than Donovan Mitchell. On a better team.

So what if he can get to the FT line or finish better at the rim. Does he make us better? Absolutely

The good with Russell to me is that he can shoot well... so he can play off ball. I think he can create shots for himself, but they are inefficient... he also sucks at defense. Good passer but I wouldn't say elite. And he is injury prone.

So if that's all he is... and he doesn't have a huge jump in FTR... what would it cost to replace those skills?

Do you know who that kind of reminds me of... Rodney Hood. I think whatever Rod signs for this offseason will represent a better value than what Russell signs for.

Maybe Russell has a super jump in his areas that need improvement... but it seems like guys that don't draw fouls don't really develop that skill.
He's a terrible athlete, so I dont see the FTR jumping to anything over 20%, and tht would be hard.

Still scores 18+ points per game with a better EFG% than Donovan Mitchell. On a better team.

So what if he can get to the FT line or finish better at the rim. Does he make us better? Absolutely
Have you read anything people have said or do you just cover your eyes to everyone's post who dont agree with you? Cuz everyone here is disagreeing with you.

If we could add Russell and somehow also add a quality stretch 4 like Porter, Niko or Gallo then I'd be all for it. Just replacing Rubio with Russell isn't going move the needle much, if at all, and it's not going to make us anywhere close to being contenders.

Last edited:
He's a terrible athlete, so I dont see the FTR jumping to anything over 20%, and tht would be hard.

the most likely areas of improvement would be

Shooting - go from good to great
Finishing at the rim - Our group has had some success helping guys with this, but the athleticism thing might limit this
Defense - Start by maybe giving a **** and trying on defense. IDK how much guys get better here and giving them tons of money likely doesn't help them start caring.

If someone told me we could sign him to the exact same number of years and dollars as Rubio this offseason... then I'd go for that. I think he's gonna get paid and I think if he is still on the Nets roster at year end they will likely match anything reasonable.

Cy is the kind of dude with a small **** who tries to make himself feel more manly by taking shots at people on a forum.
Is that a thing? Cuz I know you're a climate change denier just because you feel insecure about liberals talking down to you.

Have you read anything people have said or do you just cover your eyes to everyone's post who dont agree with you? Cuz everyone here is disagreeing with you.

I'm disagreeing with three people. There a bunch of people on this forum who refuse to speak up because they know they will take a bunch of shots from people like you.

Is that a thing? Cuz I know you're a climate change denier just because you feel insecure about liberals talking down to you.

I believe in climate change and I consider myself a conservative but every topic is worth it's own discussion. Nobody talks down to me because I see eye to eye with everyone who doesn't hide behind a keyboard.

I wouldn't expect you to understand that tater tot.

I believe in climate change and I consider myself a conservative but every topic is worth it's own discussion. Nobody talks down to me because I see eye to eye with everyone who doesn't hide behind a keyboard.

I wouldn't expect you to understand that tater tot.
OK, so can you understand that D'Angelo Russell is historically one of the worst players in NBA history at getting to the FT line?

I've decided all FA need to meet the Tim Hardaway Jr. test for me (it's the mendoza line for me).

I think he could be had for straight expiring salary... he's a solid but flawed player. He's owed about 18M a year and his deal runs for two years after this one. Anyone that does not provide more value than that is a no for me. I think Russell will get around 18-22M per for 3 or 4 years... I'd prefer Hardaway... he's better, more certain, and has a shorter deal. Thus Russell fails the THJ test for me and I'm out.