What's new

Dear Fat People

I think if people are gaining 100 lbs in ten years, they need to be looking at major lifestyle changes. I have gained 50 in 8 years, and I am trying now to change the way I live, but it is hard. I know that getting healthy is one of the most important things I need to do in my life, but it is very difficult to change 8 years of bad habits. The small steps thing doesn't really work for me. It is going to take me deciding to be healthy regardless of what is going on in the world around me and my personal life.

I love the old "answer the question with a question" bit, really I do, but please answer the question.

You phrased it solely in terms of wives getting fat.

I'm glad you loved my answer with a question bit. Thanks.

That said, I must have missed the rules that laid out the requirements that I provide you at all times precisely the response you're looking for.

Now onto answer the question. I don't know. It depends. It is, I imagine, a tough situation to be in.

So, how was my "answer the question with an 'it depends' answer?" Was it everything you were hoping for?

With a good 2 months under my belt in Germany now I can say that sugar seems to be a big difference. We are all going through sugar withdrawal. Everything tastes bland and flat and we couldn't put or finger on it until my wife made chocolate chip cookies for the people who helped us move. Wow were they sweet. Everyone liked them, but it was like my family just couldn't get enough. Now we really notice the difference in sugar levels. A good example is hot chocolate. Hot chocolate here tastes like plain coacoa powder in hot water. Had to add about 4-5 teaspoons of sugar to get it to taste right.

Also generally health is a cultural thing. But there are definitely fewer fat people here. One key thing I noticed traveling back and forth this year was you could tell you were back in the states because suddenly everyone had a fat ***.

With a good 2 months under my belt in Germany now I can say that sugar seems to be a big difference. We are all going through sugar withdrawal. Everything tastes bland and flat and we couldn't put or finger on it until my wife made chocolate chip cookies for the people who helped us move. Wow were they sweet. Everyone liked them, but it was like my family just couldn't get enough. Now we really notice the difference in sugar levels. A good example is hot chocolate. Hot chocolate here tastes like plain coacoa powder in hot water. Had to add about 4-5 teaspoons of sugar to get it to taste right.

Also generally health is a cultural thing. But there are definitely fewer fat people here. One key thing I noticed traveling back and forth this year was you could tell you were back in the states because suddenly everyone had a fat ***.

Are you losing weight?

I noticed the same thing about taiwan and the sugar levels. When I would eat american candy there, it would almost make me sick it was so full of sugar. I'm so used to sugar now that I don't notice all the sweetness at all.

Oh man, I remember that about Germany... I've never seen such delicious looking pastries, cakes, and deserts -- nor have I ever tasted anything so horribly gross. If you like the frosting on your cake to taste like mildly salty cardboard, then you'll love German delicatessen.

I've noticed that a lot of people who agreed with me took more of a "fat chicks are gross" stance. My position is more about the value of inducing social change by not shying away from reality, even if it involves criticizing the choices of others. Just a clarification. :p

I've noticed that a lot of people who agreed with me took more of a "fat chicks are gross" stance. My position is more about the value of inducing social change by not shying away from reality, even if it involves criticizing the choices of others. Just a clarification. :p

But fat chicks* are gross, which is reality. No need to clarify, we got it.

*people

Are you losing weight?

I noticed the same thing about taiwan and the sugar levels. When I would eat american candy there, it would almost make me sick it was so full of sugar. I'm so used to sugar now that I don't notice all the sweetness at all.

I wish the products here had "Sugar" in them--more like high-fructose corn syrup in literally every ****ing thing we buy. God bless Big Corn.

I can be such a picky little **** when it comes to a woman's appearance. Drives me bonkers. Karma's gonna hit me back some day because of it, probably.

Reactions: MVP
I could honestly be talked into some sort of 'unhealthy food' tax law. A logistical nightmare to get that tax network in shape, probably. Still, there's so much garbage out there.

if both are heavily refined? HFCS is cheap as ***, meaning it gets loaded into errthang.

Yes, that's the difference. But scientists can make other sugar blends cheap too if companies are forced away from HFCS. Fatness is a consequence of food availability. It is a problem that practically all countries suffers from as they develop and get more comfortable. The U.S. suffers more than most, but there are plenty of countries that aren't that far behind. The only effective solutions are probably cultural solutions, like the anti-tobacco change.

Yes, that's the difference. But scientists can make other sugar blends cheap too if companies are forced away from HFCS. Fatness is a consequence of food availability. It is a problem that practically all countries suffers from as they develop and get more comfortable. The U.S. suffers more than most, but there are plenty of countries that aren't that far behind. The only effective solutions are probably cultural solutions, like the anti-tobacco change.

I would say that it's a bit of an oversimplification to tether fatness to industrial development. Different industrialized nations deal with obesity to varying extents, because it is so nuanced. Unfortunately, the income disparity, the segregational nature of North American metropolitan neighbourhoods, and the lack of a social welfare net to encourage the healthy lifestyles of the lower classes will continue to push Americans towards obesity (among many other factors).