What's new

Donovan Mitchell’s Historic Season

I don’t care for the red shirt rookie argument but do think that voters should consider that DM took 7-8 games of adjustments that made his numbers dip early in the season. Should measure his numbers per minute as a starter.

Being a red shirt rookie certainly has some advantages but could also make the argument for guys that come in as juniors and seniors.

The award isn’t meaningless to the players involved... it isn’t the end all be all but all the facts have to be considered and both guys are worthy.

I personally think the ROY Award is pointless. Let Simmons have it. Give DM even more drive to prove people wrong.

Please let it play out this way. Surrounding DM with the type of fluff that comes with meaningless awards like this is the last thing he needs. It is far better to have Gobert and Mitchell with chips on their shoulders than total league recognition.

Lots of fans act like national hype is a good thing. Winning trophies that actually mean something would be far more gratifying.

Simmons is damn impressive. And I haven't followed him closely enough to see how he lifts his team when they need it. But Donovan's ability to deliver scoring when needed no matter what the circumstance makes him ultra-special. Like who else over the last 20 years could bring scoring no matter what? The list is short.

I hope for co-ROY's. Simmons is a triple double threat every game. And while Mitchell is somewhat inefficient, there's no doubt he often elevates his game late in the 4th. Seems unfair if one misses out on the award.

Don has been missing layups and clanking tons of shots. Imagine if he cleans that up a little.

Don has been missing layups and clanking tons of shots. Imagine if he cleans that up a little.
He's going to be unstoppable by next season or the season after that. His jumpshot is pretty, his driving is incredible, and he will finesse and perfect both of them quickly. Last year he was drafted, had no idea himself how much he would mean to this franchise so quickly, let alone all of us. With an offseason of work, how much and how hard he works, his mindset, his confidence, his physical ability, his intelligence-- The NBA should be put on notice, because as special as he is this season, now knowing his roll, the fact he's the face of the franchise, and shaking off the rookie label, along with an offseason of work hes going to be beyond scary to deal with for other teams next season. He will put in the work and next season Donovan is just going to be even that more incredible. He's scary now...the fact he's just scratching the surface.....is amazing to think about.

I’m interested in what Philly is going to do when Fultz comes back. He’s their PG. and that will take the ball out of Simmons hands. Will be interesting.

???

Simmons is and will continue to be the Sixer's PG. Fultz and others may defend the 1.

He has since made it clear that Brett Brown's talk of perhaps being a point forward is a no go zone. "I'm a point guard" was his reaction.

point guard or point forward is just semantics. The point is that offense will be triggered through Simmons. Just like it was from Magic.

And on defense, they will figure out how to guard fast 1s. Just like Magic rarely guarded PGs, that was handled by Cooper and Scott.

point guard or point forward is just semantics. The point is that offense will be triggered through Simmons. Just like it was from Magic.

And on defense, they will figure out how to guard fast 1s. Just like Magic rarely guarded PGs, that was handled by Cooper and Scott.

Pretty much. Probably depends how much PNR they want to try with Fultz.

Blake Griffin though right? And why don't they just change that rule.

I heard this mentioned somewhere. If Ben Simmons is ineligible for ROTY he should definitely win Most Improved :)

I don’t think griffin should have won it either

In the 3 point era of basketball (Rookies older than that arent really comparable the league was so different) Mitchell is currently #21 on PPG tied with Durant (although Mitchell is doing so on better shooting percentages)

Of the players in front of him Jordan, David Robinson, Mitch Richmond, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Carmelo Anthony, Alonzo Mourning, and Hakeem made it to the playoffs. That is some pretty rare company.

Only Jordan, Robinson, Carmelo and Bird lead their team in scoring. Jordan and Robinson both had other 20 ppg scorers on the team. Bird had 2 HOF players and 2 league MVPs, 1 finals MVP player on his roster his rookie year so he had a pretty damn good roster around him. Carmelo was only the 3rd leading scorer on his team in the actual playoffs, which we will have to see what Mitchell does.

That is some pretty elite company.

It is incredibly rare what Mitchell is doing. Honestly I dont think there is a good comparison of another player for him. He is having one of the greatest seasons ever as a rookie. Very few rookies lead their team to the playoffs as the main offensive option.

Oh he has.....I’m just saying if there’s a guy who you really want to win something it’s him, just because he carries himself in the non-arrogant way he does. He’s got lots of credit and attention, it’s just as a fan you can’t help but hope he gets as much recognition as possible. I’d love to see him win ROY.

Personally, I much rather see Rudy win DPOY. DM and ROTY is a DISTANT 2nd or 3rd to Quins COTY.

Last edited:
In the 3 point era of basketball (Rookies older than that arent really comparable the league was so different) Mitchell is currently #21 on PPG tied with Durant (although Mitchell is doing so on better shooting percentages)

Of the players in front of him Jordan, David Robinson, Mitch Richmond, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Carmelo Anthony, Alonzo Mourning, and Hakeem made it to the playoffs. That is some pretty rare company.

Only Jordan, Robinson, Carmelo and Bird lead their team in scoring. Jordan and Robinson both had other 20 ppg scorers on the team. Bird had 2 HOF players and 2 league MVPs, 1 finals MVP player on his roster his rookie year so he had a pretty damn good roster around him. Carmelo was only the 3rd leading scorer on his team in the actual playoffs, which we will have to see what Mitchell does.

That is some pretty elite company.

It is incredibly rare what Mitchell is doing. Honestly I dont think there is a good comparison of another player for him. He is having one of the greatest seasons ever as a rookie. Very few rookies lead their team to the playoffs as the main offensive option.

I wonder if Fultz will be a similar style player .... he looked kind of nice in his first game back last night.

Donovan Mitchell's attributes in his rookie year (out of 20)

physical

Athleticism 18
Stamina 20
Strength 18
Acceleration
Pace 18

skills
Rebounding 14
Jump shot 14

Slashing 18
Passing 15
FT shooting 17
Individual defense 16
Stealing 17
Team defense 13
Drawing FTs 12

mental attribs
Determination 19
Composure 17
Work rate 18
Flair/creativity 18
Leadership 18

Bravery 20
Decisions 14

Donovan Mitchell's attributes in his rookie year (out of 20)

physical

Athleticism 18
Stamina 20
Strength 18
Acceleration
Pace 18

skills
Rebounding 14
Jump shot 14

Slashing 18
Passing 15
FT shooting 17
Individual defense 16
Stealing 17
Team defense 13
Drawing FTs 12

mental attribs
Determination 19
Composure 17
Work rate 18
Flair/creativity 18
Leadership 18

Bravery 20
Decisions 14

Missing a lot of attributes. Fire resistance? Critical strike? Bartering?

Missing a lot of attributes. Fire resistance? Critical strike? Bartering?
lol. I basically adapted CM 00/01 player profiling to basketball. More of a Euro thing

Emanuel%20Mammana_zpsvqzvavnp.png