What's new

Donovan Mitchell Struggles

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
He has started the year 29-85 from the field and has looked absolutely lost on defense with zero effort.

He'll be great when the Jazz start playing against bad defenses that our offense actually works against.

In the 3 games combined since the Portland game, Donovan only has only 2 more assists than TOs. Playing out of control.

It looks ugly right now. Its unfortunate Quin didn't make this move a long time ago. Trying to do this with a vastly abbreviated preseason makes this a mess.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

He’s had a rough start, he’ll be fine. Bogey has been dreadful. Honestly everyone outside Rudy and Mike (JC has been okay) has been worse than expected.

His role is the same as it’s always been. Being called a SG vs a PG has had no impact on how he’s getting his offense or his responsibilities. That’s not what’s causing his issues. Unfortunately his shot is off, he looks a step slow, and most concerning is that his decision making has been really awful.

He’s a better player than this and will get better. But early returns do not look like he has ascended after an incredible playoff series. A lot of year 4 might be spent getting back up to speed instead.

There are a lot of great players in the league who have started in a funk, which isn’t a huge surprise given the weirdness of the off season. I don’t think his struggles are out of the ordinary, but I would be surprised if this is the year he takes his game to the next level. He still has yet to make a significant leap in his game after that killer rookie season.

His role is the same as it’s always been. Being called a SG vs a PG has had no impact on how he’s getting his offense or his responsibilities. That’s not what’s causing his issues. Unfortunately his shot is off, he looks a step slow, and most concerning is that his decision making has been really awful.

He’s a better player than this and will get better. But early returns do not look like he has ascended after an incredible playoff series. A lot of year 4 might be spent getting back up to speed instead.

There are a lot of great players in the league who have started in a funk, which isn’t a huge surprise given the weirdness of the off season. I don’t think his struggles are out of the ordinary, but I would be surprised if this is the year he takes his game to the next level. He still has yet to make a significant leap in his game after that killer rookie season.
4 games is way too early to be judging any of that tbh, but he is 24, still a couple years out of being in his true prime, if there isn’t really much of any improvement this year the deeper we get into the season I do think it’s fair to wonder if he can reach the MVP type super star level most of us think he’s capable of. PS I still very much think he’s going to have an amazing season and is that super star guy who can be potential MVP conversation level.

I feel like this happens every year. He seems to always get off to a rough start the first few games of every season. I'm not at all worried about him.

4 games is way too early to be judging any of that tbh, but he is 24, still a couple years out of being in his true prime, if there isn’t really much of any improvement this year the deeper we get into the season I do think it’s fair to wonder if he can reach the MVP type super star level most of us think he’s capable of. PS I still very much think he’s going to have an amazing season and is that super star guy who can be potential MVP conversation level.

Sure, there’s still a lot of season left to see some improvements. His decision making and defense just look so rough so far. Think we’d be able to see some improvements there even if his shot wasn’t falling but it’s been the same old Don.

His success is almost entirely dependent on pure talent. But if he’s going to be more than a fringe all star he has to be able to make the game easier for himself and teammates through decision making as well as improve his defense effort on defense.

He has a very long way to go before even thinking about MVP level. If he’s ever going to come close, we’d have to start season some major improvements this season.

Got his big contract. Now trying to force his way to Knicks.

Let's be honest. What young stud wouldn't rather showcase his abilities in NY than SLC? Not gonna begrudge him one bit for that. He has a lot of room to grow in Utah and hopefully he will.

Donovan is so ineffective right now. He has to rethink how he is playing.

Rudy is so far and away playing the best for the Jazz right now but among the guards, DM is just not effective at anything.

rDIocP.jpg

This is the only place where Mitchell gets some necessary criticism. He is more or less bulletproof from the national view. His lack of Efficiency just gets a pass.

Maybe Conley has to go back to primary ballhandler
Maybe it's too much for Donovan to handle