What's new

Donovan Mitchell Struggles

He'll be great when the Jazz start playing against bad defenses that our offense actually works against.
When Mitchell is running the show, there is no offense. Pure garbage. It is frankly impressive the Jazz are .500 right now because if he has the keys and plays like he has, it almost doesn’t matter how his teammates do.

I can live with good shots not going in. I cannot with putrid shot selection and possessions where nobody else touches the ball.

Mitchell is up to 9.3 three attempts a game (from 6.9 last year). I would guess most are off the dribble which are not his strength, he needs to dial that back some.

He may be but I don't think you could be Michael Jordan and John Stockton at the same time. The laws of physics would crack and time would reverse itself or something....

There are definitely times I feel like Mitchell is overrated, but he is only in his 4th year. We got kind of spoiled because he reached a high level so early. His improvement trajectory isnt like most rookie contract players.

Whenever I get too down on Donovan I pull up Bradley Beal advanced stats and I remember a player can finally learn to be a good foul drawer after being mediocre for their first 6 years.

Ultimately I think his biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He has an overwhelming desire to be a leader and he thinks that has to be done with a Mamba Mentality.

Donny is hounded by defender and is difficult to pass to him. When he got ball he is double team. This throwing off him game. He needs adjustments.

And the meek shall inherit JazzFanz, he'll be more than fine come winning time.

And the meek shall inherit JazzFanz, he'll be more than fine come winning time.
I agree.

And one thing I'm noticing a lot more is that Don has a bunch of "hockey assists" that go uncounted in a box score. He makes the pass before the pass that gets the assist.

If he's double teamed, kicks it out to Joe on the wing who skips it down to Conley in the corner for a wide open baseline 3, Don gets zero credit for anything in the box score. However, the play doesn't happen if he doesn't drive, get the attention, and then kick it out.

His shooting concerns me, but I think he'll get that sorted out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not concerned about his shooting, but I am a bit concerned about all the stupid turnovers. He tries to be too fancy quite a lot, and even though there are some spectacular passes, there's also a series of TOs that really didn't need to happen.

I'm not concerned about his shooting, but I am a bit concerned about all the stupid turnovers. He tries to be too fancy quite a lot, and even though there are some spectacular passes, there's also a series of TOs that really didn't need to happen.

3 of his turnovers last night were unnecessary no look passes.

He is a highlight hunter and he needs to eject that garbage if this team is ever to be legit.
He’s a walking highlight. I don’t agree he hunts for it. He needs to take smarter shots and that’s really the biggest issue right now. Many of his shots are really difficult right now. Take the open catch and shoot 3 instead of the dribble twice pull up contested 18 foot jump shot. Don will be fine, I hope this road trips gets him in a groove again. He played a lot better last night than previous games.

Does anyone have his shooting in the paint numbers year over year?

I’m probably totally wrong. But I would guess his highest shooting percentage at the rim came in his rookie year. I thought he would become known as this legendary ‘And 1’ finisher because of how many he got to drop.

I guess it’s just a new kid on the block thing. The league will adjust to you, especially if you’re good enough to adjust for.

He's thinking too much and seems to be more concerned with flash than production as some here have suggested. He also needs to get into the offense earlier and stop holding on to the ball so much. But I think most of us agree on this and I hope Quin will help him make the necessary adjustments.

Does anyone have his shooting in the paint numbers year over year?

I’m probably totally wrong. But I would guess his highest shooting percentage at the rim came in his rookie year. I thought he would become known as this legendary ‘And 1’ finisher because of how many he got to drop.

I guess it’s just a new kid on the block thing. The league will adjust to you, especially if you’re good enough to adjust for.
I do believe his first 2 years were his best at the rim, but that’s in part because I believe he tries to protect his body some too. You’ll notice he doesn’t dunk near as much anymore too. Don will adjust. Don is amazing. He is going to be very good.

He's thinking too much and seems to be more concerned with flash than production as some here have suggested. He also needs to get into the offense earlier and stop holding on to the ball so much. But I think most of us agree on this and I hope Quin will help him make the necessary adjustments.
I don’t agree he hunts for flash, but I do think he’s overthinking things a bit right now. He just needs to relax and be Donovan.

The truth of the matter is Donovan will have to be an MVP level player for the Jazz to have any shot or hope at a title. I think he can grow into it, but he’s a minute away right now still.