What's new

Donovan Mitchell Struggles

3 of his turnovers last night were unnecessary no look passes.
Some of them were just passed you don’t throw... like the across your body throw for a QB.

His play kind of reminds me of the Houston series when he struggled. He had an injury the first year second year the year physicality and scheme got him because he wasn’t shooting well.

I know he will be better... I’m not worried about him that way... I’m worried because I hoped the playoff supernova was a sign for big improvements and not a matchup or fluke shooting thing.

it’s really puzzling. His role isn’t much different than last year. Run pick and rolls, drive and score or kick out, etc... IDK what is going on with him but hopefully he figures that **** out in the road.

The problem is his playmaking is closely linked to his shooting. When he starts being more efficient again it will result in others being more open and make the passing easier. He just doesn't have the skillset to get others involved as pure PG like eg. CP3 who may take few shots per game but still creates for others. He is playing more like Harden who mostly drives and dishes out. Also when he feels that his shot is off he starts forcing things and makes those dumb turnovers.

Some of them were just passed you don’t throw... like the across your body throw for a QB.

His play kind of reminds me of the Houston series when he struggled. He had an injury the first year second year the year physicality and scheme got him because he wasn’t shooting well.

I know he will be better... I’m not worried about him that way... I’m worried because I hoped the playoff supernova was a sign for big improvements and not a matchup or fluke shooting thing.

it’s really puzzling. His role isn’t much different than last year. Run pick and rolls, drive and score or kick out, etc... IDK what is going on with him but hopefully he figures that **** out in the road.
I think he feels out of sync so he is trying to force it to overcompensate. QS needs to get his star player to settle down and let the game come to him.

Maybe if he invited Donovan over and showed him his collection of gold-plated coaches challenges it will help.

I think Don needs to spend a summer with Jazz coaches instead of the instagram trainers. His lack of development since his rookie season has been a real buzzkill. Send coaches to NY and have them follow him around on his media tours. Whatever it takes.

OTOH, I think we're safe from Mitchell getting the DP raise. Does not like he will come close to making an all NBA team this year.

Last edited:
I think Don needs to spend a summer with Jazz coaches instead of the instagram trainers. His lack of development since his rookie season has been a real buzzkill. Send coaches to NY and have them follow him around on his media tours. Whatever it takes.

OTOH, I think we're safe from Mitchell getting the DP raise. Does not like he will come close to making an all NBA team this year.
But he has to workout with his basketball trainers in NY during the offseason who have him shoot uncontested mid range jumpers and do dribbling drills. Luckily we gave him the player option he pushed for so we get the growth years and not the prime years I guess. He hasn’t been good, and as I’ve seen thoroughly discussed on this forum there’s not time for him not to be good, mostly because of him. He’ll blame the Jazz for not getting him far enough, and opt out or ask for a trade, when in reality, it’s gonna be him who doesn’t perform at the level needed for the Jazz to truly compete. Some of you saying MVP level I truly don’t think so. Donovan is very “raw talented” but you have to get better at the game to become a true super star when teams focus in on you, and aside from the bubble which will not be the case the rest of his career, he hasn’t been great in playoff moments aside from the bubble and OKC series. I like him, he’s extremely fun to watch, but he’s not there, and there comes a point where you gotta question if he truly ever gets where we thought he’d go. He’s better than his rookie season but he was such an amazing rookie that there hasn’t been much growth since. And the beginning of this season highlight that in a big way.

Stockton could help a lot of players but he won’t lol
?

He has. I’m pretty sure Deron went up with him one summer. He’s certainly not someone who’s going to be soliciting the organization to help, obviously.

?

He has. I’m pretty sure Deron went up with him one summer. He’s certainly not someone who’s going to be soliciting the organization to help, obviously.
He did help Deron once yes, that really about it. If Donovan reached out he’d obviously help Donovan, but Stockton would never reach out first. It’s whatever, I would be very much like Stockton so I can’t criticize him too much. I wouldn’t expect much Stockton/Donovan training is all I’m saying.

Stock is never hounded by defender anytime like Donny is now. And Stock is uncomfortable in double team, cause turnovers lots if bounce pass not open.

When Mitchell is running the show, there is no offense. Pure garbage. It is frankly impressive the Jazz are .500 right now because if he has the keys and plays like he has, it almost doesn’t matter how his teammates do.
For real. Siakam is struggling and the Raptors are 1-4. Mitchell and Bogey have both been mostly bad and we're 3-2. Bodes well for the rest of the season since Conley and Gobert are balling. Plus with Favors, Clarkson, and Ingles providing depth, we could be pretty ****ing good once everyone is playing normally.

But he has to workout with his basketball trainers in NY during the offseason who have him shoot uncontested mid range jumpers and do dribbling drills. Luckily we gave him the player option he pushed for so we get the growth years and not the prime years I guess. He hasn’t been good, and as I’ve seen thoroughly discussed on this forum there’s not time for him not to be good, mostly because of him. He’ll blame the Jazz for not getting him far enough, and opt out or ask for a trade, when in reality, it’s gonna be him who doesn’t perform at the level needed for the Jazz to truly compete. Some of you saying MVP level I truly don’t think so. Donovan is very “raw talented” but you have to get better at the game to become a true super star when teams focus in on you, and aside from the bubble which will not be the case the rest of his career, he hasn’t been great in playoff moments aside from the bubble and OKC series. I like him, he’s extremely fun to watch, but he’s not there, and there comes a point where you gotta question if he truly ever gets where we thought he’d go. He’s better than his rookie season but he was such an amazing rookie that there hasn’t been much growth since. And the beginning of this season highlight that in a big way.

I think he's more talented and skilled than he was as a rookie, but his decision making is somehow worse. His passing and understand of how to make reads has made almost no progress at all. OTOH, he's fallen in love with floaters and mid range...which isn't great. On top of that, his defensive effort has gotten worse as his reputation has grown.

I agree, he needs to start making progress soon. It's not enough for him to start the season poorly and regain to get back into form. He needs to make significant, lasting improvements to his games. Luckily for Don (and unfortunately for everyone else), he escapes al criticism and has a perfect punching bag teammate for the next 5 years in Rudy. He's honestly untouchable. I've never seen someone play as poorly as he did against HOU (twice) and come out completely unscathed.

Mitchell is going to have to find that motivation within to get better and improve because no one is going to call him out for doing what he's been doing. Like you said, if we don't succeed as a team it will never be Mitchell's fault, it will be the team around him. He can choose to believe that or not, but in reality he's the guy gatekeeping this team. His personal improvement is the only thing that can take this team to the next level. He certainly has the raw talent and potential to do so...but he needs real improvement to take us there.

Stockton is old school, very intense on the court. Nowadays players are buddy buddy, don't want to hurt each others feelings.

The Jazz may have burned a bridge or two with both Stockton and the Gonzaga basketball family.
Weren’t you supporting the waiving of NWG? Why is waiving him now this cataclysmic event of the season?