What's new

Donovan Mitchell - We are lucky to have him

Someone deep dive into his twitter and find the time he tripped a kid in a wheelchair then tweeted about it.
I think the deep dive comes from every single place he’s ever been they love him. Several Louisville fans on twitter said they thought it was too good to be true while he was there too,but it’s just genuinely him.

Someone deep dive into his twitter and find the time he tripped a kid in a wheelchair then tweeted about it.

I’m sure one of those internet nerds that found the Donte tweets already tried... after his review he re-evaluated his life, found Jesus, and is currently volunteering as a hospice care worker.

I think the deep dive comes from every single place he’s ever been they love him. Several Louisville fans on twitter said they thought it was too good to be true while he was there too,but it’s just genuinely him.

Word is he only went to Louisville to try and be a good influence on coach Pitino.

Mormons are cheap penny pinchers. They will help you, as long as it doesn't cost them any money

My anecdotal evidence completely disagrees with your anecdotal evidence.

And empirical evidence also disagrees with you--Utah is routinely the top state when it comes to charitable giving, although granted these stats include giving to churches as well as to other charities. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/karste...table-states-in-the-u-s-in-2017/#7360587f2070

new-giving.png

chalabi-datalab-generosity.png

Oh I’m sure it’s a part of it. Donovan probably loves the love he’s getting. I’m sure he’s treated like the hottest **** around wherever he goes here because he is. There’s nothing wrong with doing nice things, because you’re a nice guy AND you like the love you’re getting. He’s 21, I’m sure he loves it.
Hey, the Biebs gets lots of love but he doesn't do anything for anybody, just acts like the brat he is, and he's 24.

To paraphrase the greatest TV show ever: there's no such thing as "deep inside." All you are is the things you do. If you treat people well, it doesn't matter what you're like "deep inside." Same goes for treating people poorly.

Was that from The Apprentice?

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to people, so I have a hard time believing Mitchell is actually enjoys being as altruistic as he comes off.

I secretly wish I wasn’t a dick

I mean, his dad is the director of community outreach and relations for the Mets. He's clearly had this stuff ingrained in him. He also clearly cares about branding himself.

I'm not saying he's secretly some POS guy who is completely fake and just doing it all for brand boosting, but being this great all the time has to be mentally draining.

It’s mentally draining always being a dick IMO

What I'm saying is that I would like Donovan a bit more if he yells at someone.

Just once I wish I wouldn’t be a dick

Mormons are cheap penny pinchers. They will help you, as long as it doesn't cost them any money

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
Once on my mission a member offered to pay for my groceries, I refused, he insisted, I said ok. It was probably over 40 $ in that range.

And empirical evidence also disagrees with you--Utah is routinely the top state when it comes to charitable giving, although granted these stats include giving to churches as well as to other charities. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/karste...table-states-in-the-u-s-in-2017/#7360587f2070

new-giving.png

Can you explain the donations per capita?
Hey, the Biebs gets lots of love but he doesn't do anything for anybody, just acts like the brat he is, and he's 24.

Wait?? He’s 24??

I just thought he found a way to stay 16 his entire life, thought he sold his soul or something.

new-giving.png

We pay tithing, so yeah I’d expect it to be higher.

I think we as Mormons are generous on that type of stuff... like if your house burns down we will take care of you. I had many members that generously helped people we were working with... so I shouldn’t be as harsh.

It’s the stuff on the fringes and in business that they are absurdly tight on... bad tippers, will squeeze pennies out of business deals, always want a Mormon discount. It does not apply for to all, but in general I’ve found Mormons to be quite frugal.

In part it comes from my wife who used to do wedding flowers out in NorCal... for a time half her clients were Mormon and the other half were not... she did awesome work really cheaply and made decent money on the non Mormon clients... the Mormons were another story... asked for the world and then their budget was like 300 (and these were not poor families). It was like they expected us to donate and serve... even though we weren’t in their ward and weren’t friends... it happened enough that I told my wife no more Mormons.

I also worked for a predominately Mormon accounting firm... Mormons + CPAs = cheapest people on earth. It was rough at times... I prefer to do business with non-Mormons... but love personally being friends and associated with all my Mormon friends.

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to people, so I have a hard time believing Mitchell is actually enjoys being as altruistic as he comes off.
It doesn't mean he is a saint, it means he is happy to have money and gets a kick out of the attention it garners helping people out. Very very few people are even capable of regularly doing things truly selflessly, there is nearly always some "selfish" reinforcer (makes them feel good, feel like the provider or savior, ego boost, feeling of freedom to have money to throw around, attention, getting more tail, etc.) even when we might not see or understand the reinforcers, they are there.

Hell even religion has a prize tied to it. Do all these good things to get to go heaven. Doesn't sound all that selfless when you break it down, and you have to wonder how much it would continue of that prize were removed.

But it doesn't mean that Donovan (and others who give freely of themselves, time, money, whatever...) aren't doing any good with it.

You can be a "good person" and still have ultimately selfish reinforcers for your behaviors.

We pay tithing, so yeah I’d expect it to be higher.

I think we as Mormons are generous on that type of stuff... like if your house burns down we will take care of you. I had many members that generously helped people we were working with... so I shouldn’t be as harsh.

It’s the stuff on the fringes and in business that they are absurdly tight on... bad tippers, will squeeze pennies out of business deals, always want a Mormon discount. It does not apply for to all, but in general I’ve found Mormons to be quite frugal.

In part it comes from my wife who used to do wedding flowers out in NorCal... for a time half her clients were Mormon and the other half were not... she did awesome work really cheaply and made decent money on the non Mormon clients... the Mormons were another story... asked for the world and then their budget was like 300 (and these were not poor families). It was like they expected us to donate and serve... even though we weren’t in their ward and weren’t friends... it happened enough that I told my wife no more Mormons.

I also worked for a predominately Mormon accounting firm... Mormons + CPAs = cheapest people on earth. It was rough at times... I prefer to do business with non-Mormons... but love personally being friends and associated with all my Mormon friends.
I have seen both sides of the money coin in the church, and the money differences from "rich" wards to "poor" wards can be disgraceful at times.

I have seen both sides of the money coin in the church, and the money differences from "rich" wards to "poor" wards can be disgraceful at times.

There just seems to be a weird separation with some folks. I worked with a guy who was the bishop of my ward and a partner at the cpa firm I worked for... I saw him give generously to folks in need but remember approaching the firm about changing course on a few financial promises they to me and being rebuffed over a relatively small amount... being told they “just couldn’t do it” I left two weeks later and was offered more than double what I requested from them and they hired an attorney (who likely cost 3 or 4 times what I requested) to file a cease and desist and make accusations that I was trying to steal their practice... after a year of sending mean letters they just went away. Wasn’t all his decision and in fact he told me he thought they were handling it poorly but was just weird... I prefer to do business outside the church.

new-giving.png

Using big words there. Who do I believe, me or your evidence? The evidence is skewed, your evidence includes tithing and donations to D.I. it doesn't tell a complete story

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

No other major church pursues tithing as aggressively as the LDS church. Not even close. Any of you who are only familiar with the LDS church might not realize that. All major religions function off tithing, but it is generally more of a give what you can type arrangement and I believe almost all tithing payments are anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong, LDS folks, but your church knows how much tithing you pay to the penny and they sometimes call you out if you're not paying your full 10%?

And honest question to the LDS folks. If you do pay your 10% tithing, do you feel like for the most part you've done all the charitable giving you need to do (other than more church related giving, like a fast offering or donations to the DI and boy scouts, etc.)?

If they took out religious charitable giving I'd put a lot of money on Utah being very close to the bottom of the list. The bottom, not close to the bottom, dead last and by a lot.