What's new

Donovan Mitchell - We are lucky to have him

Smd at so many Utahns hating on Mormons.
I love living in Utah. And a lot of the reasons I love it are because of the Mormon religion.

Just to be clear... I wasn't trying to hate... just think we are kinda penny pinchers in business and expense type things. So many are generous with time and money.

Back to the topic... Donovan Mitchell is an awesome dude... I will be a Donovan truther for life.

No other major church pursues tithing as aggressively as the LDS church. Not even close. Any of you who are only familiar with the LDS church might not realize that. All major religions function off tithing, but it is generally more of a give what you can type arrangement and I believe almost all tithing payments are anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong, LDS folks, but your church knows how much tithing you pay to the penny and they sometimes call you out if you're not paying your full 10%?

And honest question to the LDS folks. If you do pay your 10% tithing, do you feel like for the most part you've done all the charitable giving you need to do (other than more church related giving, like a fast offering or donations to the DI and boy scouts, etc.)?

If they took out religious charitable giving I'd put a lot of money on Utah being very close to the bottom of the list. The bottom, not close to the bottom, dead last and by a lot.
So, what you’re saying is the other religion’s aren’t pulling their weight? Or are you just an ignorant little bitch?

No other major church pursues tithing as aggressively as the LDS church. Not even close. Any of you who are only familiar with the LDS church might not realize that. All major religions function off tithing, but it is generally more of a give what you can type arrangement and I believe almost all tithing payments are anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong, LDS folks, but your church knows how much tithing you pay to the penny and they sometimes call you out if you're not paying your full 10%?

You're mostly or at least partly wrong. I mean, of course they know how much you've donated, you get a receipt for tax purposes. But they don't ask for pay stubs or anything so they have no way of knowing what fraction of your income that represents. You meet with your bishop once a year and declare whether or not you've paid a full tithe, and he takes your word on it.

And honest question to the LDS folks. If you do pay your 10% tithing, do you feel like for the most part you've done all the charitable giving you need to do (other than more church related giving, like a fast offering or donations to the DI and boy scouts, etc.)?

Speaking for my wife and me, we do additional charitable giving beyond that.

If they took out religious charitable giving I'd put a lot of money on Utah being very close to the bottom of the list. The bottom, not close to the bottom, dead last and by a lot.

That's not hardly fair, though. If I didn't give to the church I would give a lot more to other charities in its place.

So, what you’re saying is the other religion’s aren’t pulling their weight? Or are you just an ignorant little bitch?
I presented my understanding of the situation and asked a question that allowed Colton to inform me. A few others took it as an insult and got defensive. I swear, a lot of you LDS people have no clue how you're perceived by the non-LDS population in Utah.

The things I said are not things I made up. They are the general outside understanding of how things work in the LDS church, largely informed by former members.

You're mostly or at least partly wrong. I mean, of course they know how much you've donated, you get a receipt for tax purposes. But they don't ask for pay stubs or anything so they have no way of knowing what fraction of your income that represents. You meet with your bishop once a year and declare whether or not you've paid a full tithe, and he takes your word on it.

Speaking for my wife and me, we do additional charitable giving beyond that.

That's not hardly fair, though. If I didn't give to the church I would give a lot more to other charities in its place.
Thank you. I appreciate that you gave me a genuine answer. Makes sense. When I find myself in a standard Mormon bashing conversation I'll be the guy saying "well actually..."

Throwing out the fishing line was a little too easy in this thread and caught the usual suspects. All it missed was Unborn Gore and what shame since we would've gotten him spewing his next salvia inspired ideological essay on how the evil penny pinching Mormons came from a great salt lake wormhole that flows forth directly from Satan's starfish.

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

A year ago, a guy hit me at a gas station, begging for $20 so he can get to Provo for some family emergency. He had kids with him in the car, so I thought he was legit, and gave him the money.

A week later, he hits up again at a different gas station. Kids in the car still. They work full time looks like. Told him he already scammed me.

Haha.

Oh man.

"A year ago" lol

You had to get scammed and actually see the guy doing it somewhere else in order to figure out it was a scam? How old are you? 12?

All this time Siro has been giving money to all the "Im out of gas and need gas money" guys/meth addicts at gas stations.

Siro been thinking this whole time that wow people sure run out of gas a lot......at gas stations

Hilarious.

Haha.

Oh man.

"A year ago" lol

You had to get scammed and actually see the guy doing it somewhere else in order to figure out it was a scam? How old are you? 12?

All this time Siro has been giving money to all the "Im out of gas and need gas money" guys/meth addicts at gas stations.

Siro been thinking this whole time that wow people sure run out of gas a lot......at gas stations

Hilarious.

Powerful stuff.

Haha.

Oh man.

"A year ago" lol

Hilarious.
You've been a prick lately.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A sign of an insecure human being is one who attacks others to make themselves feel better... im just sad that young kids have to see stupid tweets like these and grow up thinking it’s okay... forget everything else Donald your setting a bad example for kids our future <a href="https://t.co/eg0MECg8xC">https://t.co/eg0MECg8xC</a></p>&mdash; Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) <a href="">August 4, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Utah Jazz star guard and noted good guy Donovan Mitchell thought Trump’s tweet was a sign of insecurity.
A sign of an insecure human being is one who attacks others to make themselves feel better… im just sad that young kids have to see stupid tweets like these and grow up thinking it’s okay… forget everything else Donald your setting a bad example for kids our future https://t.co/eg0MECg8xC
— Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) August 4, 2018

Atta boy Spida!