What's new

El Paso Shooting

I'm not in favor of an expansive border barrier no matter who proposes it.

But what makes what Trump is doing different is the narrative he created to support the building of a wall.

He specifically said the people coming across the southern border were the "bad" ones. The rapists, the murderers, the drug dealers. He has repeatedly described the people coming as an "invasion." He has demonized and dehumanized the people coming from Mexico, Central and South America. That's what's wrong with his proposal more than anything else.

People want to play games about this person was for a barrier, now they're not. I could see supporting some barriers, while not wanting to support one based on the premise that it's being put up to keep the less than human brown people out of our great civilization.

Again, I want to make it clear I couldn't care less about a barrier. Pelosi/Schumer calls a wall immoral, I could say the same about a fence. In the end they were made for the same results.

I'm not sure if you missed my point completely, or simply didn't care. It's reasonable to think that 1) our current border walls could be extended in some areas, and 2) we don't need an edge-to-edge fence.

As for immoral, Trump's reason for wanting the wall are immoral. Trump has made that clear.

Trump has now backed off promoting background checks. The senate is still on recess. In other words, the GOP and the NRA have once again successfully choked out the clock on gun reform! All of those... 30+ lives lost in El Paso and Dayton will have died without forcing any gun reform.

And we’ll repeat this whole cycle again here in another week or two. Definitely no longer than 3 weeks.

Thoughts and prayers!

Trump has now backed off promoting background checks. The senate is still on recess. In other words, the GOP and the NRA have once again successfully choked out the clock on gun reform! All of those... 30+ lives lost in El Paso and Dayton will have died without forcing any gun reform.

And we’ll repeat this whole cycle again here in another week or two. Definitely no longer than 3 weeks.

Thoughts and prayers!
Trump flip flopped?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m with you on tired, “edgy” bull ****.

But the point is not doing anything is an insult to victims of senseless gun violence and a catalyst to the creation of more victims. It is no coincidence that the place with the most guns has the most problems with them and it is absolutely mind-bending that this isn’t widely understood.

It starts becoming easy to connect the dots as to why many don't believe guns are the cause of increased mass killings after you accept the fact that mass killings are on the rise is a well debunked myth. Criminologists interested in why this phenomenon began in the 1960's and continues today have had a hard time providing answers. What changed? Not gun ownership. Not rise in racism or angst about ethnic diversity as many have pointed to, that one is easy to shoot down. Not ritalin consumption, as the old curmudgeons have tried to blame. So why? Nobody can answer that, unless you like this Christian's take: https://spectrummagazine.org/views/2019/mass-shootings-real-cause

Or I'm sure we could drum up some bull **** from Denis Prager.

"Guns ain't the problem" is a clinging redneck take, but it isn't just a clinging redneck take.

And don't take this to mean I'm claiming for a fact that guns aren't the problem. That's not my point of contention, only that there is much more to the question than the simple answer "guns, duh".

It starts becoming easy to connect the dots as to why many don't believe guns are the cause of increased mass killings after you accept the fact that mass killings are on the rise is a well debunked myth. Criminologists interested in why this phenomenon began in the 1960's and continues today have had a hard time providing answers. What changed? Not gun ownership. Not rise in racism or angst about ethnic diversity as many have pointed to, that one is easy to shoot down. Not ritalin consumption, as the old curmudgeons have tried to blame. So why? Nobody can answer that, unless you like this Christian's take: https://spectrummagazine.org/views/2019/mass-shootings-real-cause

Or I'm sure we could drum up some bull **** from Denis Prager.

"Guns ain't the problem" is a clinging redneck take, but it isn't just a clinging redneck take.

And don't take this to mean I'm claiming for a fact that guns aren't the problem. That's not my point of contention, only that there is much more to the question than the simple answer "guns, duh".

There are lots of problems in modern society. Nearly all societies have all of these problems. One of these societies has a **** ton of guns available. ...

It's guns duh.

There are lots of problems in modern society. Nearly all societies have all of these problems. One of these societies has a **** ton of guns available. ...

It's guns duh.

I prefer a tad little more in depth analysis than simpleton nonsensical platitudes and fake correlations. So do the criminologists. You might as well claim the inverse correlation that gun ownership rates trending downward for decades = higher rates of mass killings, hence we need more guns.

I prefer the claim that people who live in countries with no guns don't get shot. I've lived in one before. It was pretty weird how people didn't get shot.

I bet Dong2ha feels safer than you.

And, chances are he has way more people in the sq. km he is currently walking around in at 3am.
Most likely not. We haven't had a violent shooting in years.

As far as more people? Yeah probably. Gun culture here is much different than say downtown Chicago.

I prefer the claim that people who live in countries with no guns don't get shot. I've lived in one before. It was pretty weird how people didn't get shot.

We can't fix problems we don't understand. Complaining about a problem with superficial reasoning has gotten us nowhere. Granted, tide continues shifting on gun ownership sentiment, but I don't find "wait it out, enough time will fix this problem" to be very appealing.

I have read that 80+% of gun violence happens in inner cities and only around 5% of total gun violence is by legal owners. I've looked for actual numbers but can't find anything concrete. Does anybody have any actual evidence to prove or disapprove this?

I know someone brought it up with that Crowder dude but I would like to know the actual statistics if available.

I have read that 80+% of gun violence happens in inner cities and only around 5% of total gun violence is by legal owners. I've looked for actual numbers but can't find anything concrete. Does anybody have any actual evidence to prove or disapprove this?

I know someone brought it up with that Crowder dude but I would like to know the actual statistics if available.
What does "gun violence" mean?

Looking at gun deaths and injuries matters way more to me than gun violence, whatever that is.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app