What's new

Elijah Millsap: Lindsey in exit interview: “if u say one more word, I’ll cut your Black *** and send you back to Louisiana”.

I just don't think someone, especially a person of power says something like that just once, if he did say it. Smart people don't say something like that out of ignorance, they say it out of belittlement. That's what gets me is that not one other person has spoken out. Especially guys like Mitchell who are full front of this civil rights movement.

I just don't think someone, especially a person of power says something like that just once, if he did say it. Smart people don't say something like that out of ignorance, they say it out of belittlement. That's what gets me is that not one other person has spoken out. Especially guys like Mitchell who are full front of this civil rights movement.
Pop worked with DL. If this was DL's personality do you think Pop would stay quiet? I don't.

There is an earned reputations about Utah that is unfortunate on so many levels. Some of us think that we should work harder to address the issue, and others are more concerned with taking personal exception to the idea that stopping racism requires uncomfortable reflection and action.
With you 1000% on the notion that Utahns, Jazz fans, etc. need to work hard to address the racism amongst us. It's real and and racial relations desperately need to improve. And (as I've read your posts over the years) I'm fairly certain that I'm at least 98% with you on how to address the problem.

But I simply don't find the first sentence in this quotation to be helpful. Yes, Utah has a reputation, and it's earned, but the implication behind this (and so much of what I've seen on social media about the Lindsey matter) is that Utah has uniquely earned this reputation. It's as if nobody has ever read a history book about other places or other cities. Racism is a thoroughgoing American problem; it is not somehow confined to Utah or Boston.

Sure Utah's racism has its peculiarities, what with Mormonism, the historically small presence of African Americans, and the general traditional conservative ethos of much of the larger Intermountain West. And those who live in Utah need to confront those peculiarities in dismantling racism in Utah. But to imply (as you and Cy seem to have done at points in this discussion, even if not totally consciously) that people from other places are entitled to look down on Utah for its racism and ignore their own area's racisms by assigning the "real racism problem" to them over there (in Utah, in rural areas, in Mississippi, in Los Angeles, or wherever else) is counterproductive to fixing the racism that exists almost everywhere in the United States.

We all need to do what we can in our own areas and help where we can on the larger stage. I hope we're all trying to do this. But comforting ourselves by saying that the racism problem is bigger somewhere else isn't doing anyone any good.

That right there is the tell. He blames Lindsey for the fact that he isn't playing in the NBA today, when DL is the only person that ever gave him an opportunity. That is VERIFYABLY Bullcrap.
His own agent not backing his account of what he alleges happened is the part that meant most in the investigation IMO. Lindsey denied it, Quin said it didn’t happen, Zanick said it didn’t happen, his own agent who was also in the meeting, said it didn’t happen. Lindsey could sue Millsap for libel and defamation of character and have a very strong case. Millsap also had some follow up tweets that wouldn’t directly address the situation as well that seemed like he was backing off a touch. I tend to side with it didn’t happen, or Millsap misheard what he thought. I don’t know, I wasn’t there, but no one agrees with Millsap on what was said, aside from himself including his own representing agent who was in the meeting at the time.

I don’t think this is true for even the rubiest rubes on the site.

There is an earned reputations about Utah that is unfortunate on so many levels. Some of us think that we should work harder to address the issue, and others are more concerned with taking personal exception to the idea that stopping racism requires uncomfortable reflection and action.

Still others don’t like Dennis Lindsey, but I dare say that nobody is ultimately rooting against him or the team.
There is nothing earned as far as Utah here. Dennis is from Texas. Worked for the Spurs and Rockets to begin his career, and worked under Pop who has given him praise multiple times and has been a reason for some of his success in the league. Reputation of Utah has nothing to do with this situation, so don’t try to conflate it. We can agree work needs to be done and say **** you to the idiots who do the “well it is Utah” stupidity. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

After seeing all of this play out, I think Lindsey said everything Millsap said he said minus the "black". Many times when we replay conversations in our heads that hurt our feelings, we alter the tone and sometimes even the words the other person used. I bet Lindsey said....

"If you say one more word, I'll cut your *** and send you back to Louisiana."

That's a harsh thing to hear. Those are direct words. I don't think there is anything racist about that statement, but maybe Millsap took the tone as such. Being raised in a family that spent a ton of time in Louisiana, there is an identity that comes from being from there. Much like if you replaced "send you back to Louisiana" with "send you back to Boston" for someone from that area. Lindsey's statement could be construed to be taking a shot at Louisiana or people from there or even black people from there if Millsap tried hard enough.

Overall, I just think Lindsey said something more direct than Millsap was expecting. I don't think he used race in his statement to Millsap. Had he, he should have been fired on the spot. And if he had a track record of saying things like that, it would have emerged well before this incident.

After seeing all of this play out, I think Lindsey said everything Millsap said he said minus the "black". Many times when we replay conversations in our heads that hurt our feelings, we alter the tone and sometimes even the words the other person used. I bet Lindsey said....

"If you say one more word, I'll cut your *** and send you back to Louisiana."

That's a harsh thing to hear. Those are direct words. I don't think there is anything racist about that statement, but maybe Millsap took the tone as such. Being raised in a family that spent a ton of time in Louisiana, there is an identity that comes from being from there. Much like if you replaced "send you back to Louisiana" with "send you back to Boston" for someone from that area. Lindsey's statement could be construed to be taking a shot at Louisiana or people from there or even black people from there if Millsap tried hard enough.

Overall, I just think Lindsey said something more direct than Millsap was expecting. I don't think he used race in his statement to Millsap. Had he, he should have been fired on the spot. And if he had a track record of saying things like that, it would have emerged well before this incident.
I think it’s very possible he even felt it was implied due to what is kind of a demeaning thing to say. On Elijahs Twitter feed his follow up tweets were comments like “his truth”. I get the concept of “my truth” and “your truth”, however in this situation it was said or it wasn’t, there’s not gray area. In follow up tweets he also deflected when responding to those asking, and talking about more broad subjects. I agree with you, I think Dennis said something direct, short, and what probably felt quite demeaning, however, his agent of all people not backing him here leads me to side more with the racial part of the statement wasn't said. Players and agents are generally pretty close, and your agent at the time not backing you here is an important piece of the investigation.

... his own agent who was also in the meeting, said it didn’t happen.
I saw a report that his agent was asked a few questions. I didn't see anything that said his gent was in the meeting. Whether Millsap mentioned this to his agent or not would have some probative value, so of course he would be questioned.

I saw a report that his agent was asked a few questions. I didn't see anything that said his gent was in the meeting. Whether Millsap mentioned this to his agent or not would have some probative value, so of course he would be questioned.
No you’re correct, I thought Woj’s one tweet said he was part of the interview. He was referring to him being interviewed for the investigation though, not the original interview.

I don't think we will ever know what was said. Memories aren't accurate. Emotions and other things are at play. No one remembers that meeting correctly. But I think the fact that no one collaborated and there's no pattern of doing this he should get a pass for now. Obviously a little extra spot light will be on him. That's no big deal for him if he doesn't say these types of things. So it's all good.

if someonme claimed i said that **** to them, and i never did, i'd make a whole lot more of a PUBLIC effort than to just categorically deny it...

Why is this coming out now and not when it happened?
this is a serious question your asking homey? you cant figure why a fringe player such as elijah wouldnt wanna put his former employer on blast like this when hes still job hunting?

do u understand the $$$ aspect of things...? I swear ppl are so swept up in their personal narratives they cant stop to think about the financial impact and other spheres of influence.

u know how kaepernick became uninvestable by nfl franchises? for fringe players in these leagues theres a similar way to blackball yourself because ultimately ur just a fill in placeholder type, no one wants u if there's extra baggage around-- thats why the upstanding characters of the league like garrett temple and vince carter stick to fill those spots..

for someone like Elijah Millsap he probably wants to be known for his basketball merits he workd his whole life to fine-tune, not as that fringe guy who had an exec say somethign racist to them then made it a big media to-do............ thats why i find ur question distateful cuz u back the guy into a corner and its unwarranted and unfair, hes the one who had someone make arracist threat to him remember -- your questions are directed at Elijah not DL?! WTF?!

Guy worked his whole damn life for it, idk how u gonna pigeon hole him as someone whos supposed to speak up and ruin his own employment chances in the same felt swoop..

how can u ask such a question lmaoooo.. id figure someone who hawks over the g-league coudl figure this one out easily

Last edited:
this is a serious question your asking homey? you cant figure why a fringe player such as elijah wouldnt wanna put his former employer on blast like this when hes still job hunting?

do u understand the $$$ aspect of things...? I swear ppl are so swept up in their personal narratives they cant stop to think about the financial impact and other spheres of influence.

u know how kaepernick became uninvestable by nfl franchises? for fringe players in these leagues theres a similar way to blackball yourself because ultimately ur just a fill in placeholder type, no one wants u if there's extra baggage around-- thats why the upstanding characters of the league like garrett temple and vince carter stick to fill those spots..

for someone like Elijah Millsap he probably wants to be known for his basketball merits he workd his whole life to fine-tune, not as that fringe guy who had an exec say somethign racist to them then made it a big media to-do............ thats why i find ur question distateful cuz u back the guy into a corner and its unwarranted and unfair, hes the one who had someone make arracist threat to him remember -- your questions are directed at Elijah not DL?! WTF?!

Guy worked his whole damn life for it, idk how u gonna pigeon hole him as someone whos supposed to speak up and ruin his own employment chances in the same felt swoop..

how can u ask such a question lmaoooo.. id figure someone who hawks over the g-league coudl figure this one out easily

Guy worked his whole damned life for it and still wasn't good enough. Just like thousands of other players across sports. When he couldn't cut it, he went immediately to the race card as his bailout excuse. Sorry, seen this story play out across many walks of life and it almost always inevitably ends up that the accuser, i.e. Elijah, was full of crap.

Guy worked his whole damned life for it and still wasn't good enough. Just like thousands of other players across sports. When he couldn't cut it, he went immediately to the race card as his bailout excuse. Sorry, seen this story play out across many walks of life and it almost always inevitably ends up that the accuser, i.e. Elijah, was full of crap.
If waiting 6 years is "immediately", does that mean slavery was yesterday?

Accusers are "always full of crap"? Oh. Humm. Interesting take. Extra ****ing stupid thing to say, but yeah.

thats why i find ur question distateful cuz u back the guy into a corner and its unwarranted and unfair, hes the one who had someone make arracist threat to him remember -- your questions are directed at Elijah not DL?! WTF?!
Based off of what evidence?

Are you not backing DL in a corner yourself here?

Nobody knows what really happened besides those who were there. I find it hard to see how anybody's could take sides here unless they have other motives.

Last edited: