What's new

Favors to OKC in works (Update: Traded)

I cannot believe we had to give up a first round pick to dump his salary. I really thought we'd be able to do it using 2nd rounders. What a horrible contract DL signed him to last season.

I'm surprised that some people are surprised, a Favors salary dump has been the talk for a while now. A salary dump means you give up an asset to get rid of a bad contract - this is pretty standard. We weren't getting anything of value back for him. It really sucks it had to be done, but that's why DL is out.

Someone posted this on Twitter, there are at least half a dozen guys I'd be happy to have at the minimum or slightly more. I'd be on the phone with the agents for Lopez, Theis, and Noel specifically (click on the image to expand):

"

yeah... none of those guys you mention are getting the minimum. There are some minimum dudes on the list.

I cannot believe we had to give up a first round pick to dump his salary. I really thought we'd be able to do it using 2nd rounders. What a horrible contract DL signed him to last season.
So it was 3/4 of a first. We got a second in the deal. Look at it like the plumlee deal... they had to drop 20 spots to get off that money. We may have given up the 20th or 25th pick for a pick in the 40s... its a little more of a premium than Detroit... but not much.

I do want to see the protections... if its lotto protected then turns into two seconds... perfect. JZ nails it. If it is lotto protected then rolls forward to future years it sucks because it hurts your ability to trade other picks and makes it tough to plan around.

It was the market price... honestly we may have done better than Detroit because Charlotte wanted Plumlee the player... OKC is just taking on salary for picks. Its no fun but its tolerable.

Signing Favors to the contract he got last year is an all-time FO blunder. Absolutely unbelievable. Looks like DL paid for it with his job and he should have.

Why did we have to make this decision right now? Couldn't we have waited? What happens if Rudy gets a month long injury? Or comes back exhausted from the Olympics?

We save money but we might hurt our "title chances" by not being deep enough.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
What happens if Favors is on the roster and Gobert gets injured is that the Jazz lose a lot of games. The dude could barely handle 15 ****ing minutes, he wasn't saving anything.

yeah... none of those guys you mention are getting the minimum. There are some minimum dudes on the list.
hence why I added "or more." I don't think Theis or Noel will get full MLE, Lopez might-honestly I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to split up the MLE for a backup C and a backup wing that are better than minimum dudes. I'm not sure what the market will be. I'm really saying it's not a doomsday scenario, there are options.

What happens if Favors is on the roster and Gobert gets injured is that the Jazz lose a lot of games. The dude could barely handle 15 ****ing minutes, he wasn't saving anything.
He also wasn't reliable in the playoffs during the clips series. It sucks... it was an overpay... but we got out of it okay depending on pick protections.

We have 3 seconds and a trade exception to work with during the year... we also get to see if Udoka is something. I actually have hope for him. The things he should be good at shouldn't be things that take forever to develop. Be huge at the rim... catch and dunk lobs... try not to **** up the offense too much (Ed Davis style).

hence why I added "or more." I don't think Theis or Noel will get full MLE, Lopez might-honestly I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to split up the MLE for a backup C and a backup wing that are better than minimum dudes. I'm not sure what the market will be. I'm really saying it's not a doomsday scenario, there are options.
I think Lopez is the cheapest of the group... Theis may get MLE but maybe the league is finally adjusting center salaries... was shocked Plumlee, Favs, and Lopez got as much as they did last year. Noel likely gets taxpayer MLE money... he had another good year. Theis I can see at or close to full MLE because he can shoot and protect the rim (that is the guy NO should have looked at). Lopez likely gets BAE type money or a one year overpay from Washington.

I'm surprised that some people are surprised, a Favors salary dump has been the talk for a while now. A salary dump means you give up an asset to get rid of a bad contract - this is pretty standard. We weren't getting anything of value back for him. It really sucks it had to be done, but that's why DL is out.

Someone posted this on Twitter, there are at least half a dozen guys I'd be happy to have at the minimum or slightly more. I'd be on the phone with the agents for Lopez, Theis, and Noel specifically (click on the image to expand):

"

No one is surprised. Most are just still pissed at how ****** DL botched stuff the last few years. This is a bleak reminder.

I think Lopez is the cheapest of the group... Theis may get MLE but maybe the league is finally adjusting center salaries... was shocked Plumlee, Favs, and Lopez got as much as they did last year. Noel likely gets taxpayer MLE money... he had another good year. Theis I can see at or close to full MLE because he can shoot and protect the rim (that is the guy NO should have looked at). Lopez likely gets BAE type money or a one year overpay from Washington.
Yeah I could see that, I'm probably under valuing those three. Honestly I think they just need a cheap veteran or two even at the minimum. It's not worth spending a lot for a backup, because if Rudy goes down long term, the season is a waste either way.

So how many draft picks have we had to give up the last two off-seasons to dump our backup centers?

Love Favors the person, but it was a mistake to bring him back for anything more than the minimum.

I don’t think you can say that DL was anything more than an abject failure tbh.

The Jazz have spent a ridiculous amount of time, money and resources to find a starting PG (two 1sts for Burke, top 5 pick for Exum, 1st for Hill, 1st for Rubio, two 1sts + Crowder and Allen for Conley) and a backup C (1st for Bradley, 2nd to get rid of Bradley, two 2nds to get rid of Davis after signing him as a FA, 1st for Udoka, another 1st to get rid of Favors after signing him as a FA.)

Beats what Locke was seeming to try to prepare the fanbase for: a swap of our first & Favors for nothing but financial relief.

We came out with the financial relief, Butler, and three seconds essentially in exchange for moving the owed first a few years down the line (though the specific value of the picks involved is still unknown).

My biggest problem with it is that we keep pissing away cash and assets instead of consolidating them to go after a big trade for a 3rd star closer to Rudy and Don’s timeline. This roster construction feels like it’s going to crash and burn soon, but they’ll be stuck with it. . . and it keeps getting older.

I don’t think you can say that DL was anything more than an abject failure tbh.
I think some of us get tired of the incessant negativity at times here.

Sure, he rebuilt the Jazz and helped lead us to the team's best record in more than two decades. But none of that matters, apparently, since he's an "abject failure" for striking out several times (as if striking out isn't part of the nature of the business).

Sure, he rebuilt the Jazz and helped lead us to the team's best record in more than two decades. But none of that matters, apparently, since he's an "abject failure" for striking out several times (as if striking out isn't part of the nature of the business).
Of course striking out is a part of the business, but DL made some pretty ****** moves focusing on PG and C - while all but ignoring our wing situation for years. Maybe it’s just a team building philosophy thing, but I’ve hated watching how he’s allocated resources over the past two years. It seemed reckless and wasteful to me, and likely cost us a real shot at a title this year. Maybe I’m wrong, and this was the best they could do. . .

You have a point and DL should get credit where it’s due. With that being said, from his drafting and free agent targets it seems like he did not have the pulse of the league ie drafting a traditional big when 5 out is the trend, looking for a traditional pg multiple times when non-positional basketball is the trend. DL always seemed a step behind to me. To be honest, I think DL was fortunate he wasn’t let go earlier because I believe other franchises would have been done with him two years ago.
I don’t know enough about JZ to have an opinion but I think we’ll be able to tell pretty quick.
I do think, with Ryan Smith being our owner and Wade being involved, our organization won’t be allowed to fall behind the trends (at least I hope not).