What's new

Game Thread Feb 11, 2023 05:30PM MT: Jazz at Knicks

Added to Calendar: 02-11-23

Win is a win and a loss is a win.

THT has been a revelation last two games just like I predicted he will be to end this season. Damn I love to see it as a believer.

Inserting JC back tonight did not kill the ball movement - a huge win. This was a good game aside threes not falling. Overall good ball movement

And Lauri... Effectiveness has been off last few games BUT - now he has done some good damage on the 4th as he needs to do. Earlier on the season he started hot and diminished in the end. Now it has been other way around and his shooting will not be as bad it was tonight for the 1st half. Alsoabout five of his missed shots came from few missed tip
lol. I would love to see his effectiveness get higher soon again but I guess for the tank this is good.

Nice rundown and assessment imo.

Win is a win and a loss is a win.

THT has been a revelation last two games just like I predicted he will be to end this season. Damn I love to see it as a believer.

Inserting JC back tonight did not kill the ball movement - a huge win. This was a good game aside threes not falling. Overall good ball movement

And Lauri... Effectiveness has been off last few games BUT - now he has done some good damage on the 4th as he needs to do. Earlier on the season he started hot and diminished in the end. Now it has been other way around and his shooting will not be as bad it was tonight for the 1st half. Also about five of his missed shots came from few tip-ins
lol. I would love to see his effectiveness get higher soon again but I guess for the tank this is good.

Louri has to go, he always scores at the wrong time of the games. Or wrong way.

Or he does something wrong anyway. Utah should give his minutes to younger guys and think about the future.

Perfect tank game… but wtf Rudy Gay… last year we desperately need you to not suck and now that we need you to continue to suck you are good… truly annoying.

One observation… glad we didn’t get Obi Toppin. He got beat on a straight line drive by Rudy and KO was able to get far enough behind him to get a fast break layup.

THT makes me lol on both good and bad plays… tonight it was all good plays. Hopefully he continues his progress.

I got a feeling that when Jones is acclimated that he will take Dokes minutes.

Perfect tank game… but wtf Rudy Gay… last year we desperately need you to not suck and now that we need you to continue to suck you are good… truly annoying.

One observation… glad we didn’t get Obi Toppin. He got beat on a straight line drive by Rudy and KO was able to get far enough behind him to get a fast break layup.

THT makes me lol on both good and bad plays… tonight it was all good plays. Hopefully he continues his progress.

It also would've been really nice if Gay could've played like this before the trade deadline instead of immediately after. It's like he's been purposely sabotaging us ever since we signed him.

I definitely agree about Jones taking Dok's minutes eventually. It's amazing how often he still looks lost out there after being in the league for 3 years now.

Last edited:

At this point, I feel like I could take Dok's minutes if I suited up!

Markkanen rimming from 3 (also missed like 5 tips) but he looked great driving
Clarkson cold from 3 but his floaters were money
Kessler rebounded like a beast but didn't get the ball much on offense
THT was money, man of the match for us
Sexton dished few nice passes but was pretty meh for me compared to last game. It was notable though that Brunson had as much chance to stop him as he did to stop Brunson.

I have no idea how we kept the game close though. Its as if we didn't just lose those guys that we traded. I expected our bench would be killing us.. but now 2 of 2 games post deadline it hasnt happened.

Random thoughts:

- **** the tank.

- What's with Kessler suddenly biting on every single pump fake he sees? This season, he's been great at staying down and staying patient, and then pouncing at the exact right moment. He needs to get back to that. The Knicks had the kid looking like a yo-yo.

- Brunson getting a superstar whistle is really something.

- When Lauri aims too long on the perimeter, he's likely to miss. When he just shoots it in rhythm, his shot looks much better. Overall, his 3pt shots are too flat again. You'd think the coaches would notice it and say something. Maybe they have.

- Clarkson has to be the league leader in "He had nowhere to go" turnovers. Those are the most infuriating kind, because all you need to do is get rid of the ball in time. How many times did the rest of the guys stand and watch for 15 seconds as JC dribbled in place and tried to put his shoulder into the defender in a futile attempt to create space? Enough already. Just stop painting yourself into a corner.

- THT was on fire. In other words, he was making tons of crazy shots where the degree of difficulty was off the charts. Not sure you can build anything around that kind of thing.

- I was pretty high on Ochai a while back, but have cooled off on him lately again. He simply has to be the worst defender in the league with those kinds of physical gifts. Dies on every single screen, avoids contact in 1-on-1 situations, does the dreaded "hop step closeout" that always leads to blow bys... the kid is just all over the place. I have no idea how you can play four years at a big school and come away with absolutely zero defensive skill. He's terrible, and next season he can't be terrible anymore. His NBA life may depend on it.

- Oh yeah, Ochai also does zero rebounding on the wing at 6'5''. Unacceptable for a guy as bouncy and long as him.

- We got rid of two bad perimeter defenders in Conley and Beasley, but we still have way too many. Every defensive possession turned into crazy scrambling and rotating because the first guy couldn't stay between his man and the basket. On a back to back, that's an absolute killer. When you're playing three 7 footers together and they all have to chase the ball around the court, nothing good will happen.

Last edited:
Random thoughts:

- **** the tank.

- What's with Kessler suddenly biting on every single pump fake he sees? This season, he's been great at staying down and staying patient, and then pouncing at the exact right moment. He needs to get back to that. The Knicks had the kid looking like a yo-yo.

- Brunson getting a superstar whistle is really something.

- When Lauri aims too long on the perimeter, he's likely to miss. When he just shoots it in rhythm, his shot looks much better. Overall, his 3pt shots are too flat again. You'd think the coaches would notice it and say something. Maybe they have.

- Clarkson has to be the league leader in "He had nowhere to go" turnovers. Those are the most infuriating kind, because all you need to do is get rid of the ball in time. How many times did the rest of the guys stand and watch for 15 seconds as JC dribbled in place and tried to put his shoulder into the defender in a futile attempt to create space? Enough already. Just stop painting yourself into a corner.

- THT was on fire. In other words, he was making tons of crazy shots where the degree of difficulty was off the charts. Not sure you can build anything around that kind of thing.

- I was pretty high on Ochai a while back, but have cooled off on him lately again. He simply has to be the worst defender in the league with those kinds of physical gifts. Dies on every single screen, avoids contact in 1-on-1 situations, does the dreaded "hop step closeout" that always leads to blow bys... the kid is just all over the place. I have no idea how you can play four years at a big school and come away with absolutely zero defensive skill. He's terrible, and next season he can't be terrible anymore. His NBA life may depend on it.

- Oh yeah, Ochai also does zero rebounding on the wing at 6'5''. Unacceptable for a guy as bouncy and long as him.

- We got rid of two bad perimeter defenders in Conley and Beasley, but we still have way too many. Every defensive possession turned into crazy scrambling and rotating because the first guy couldn't stay between his man and the basket. On a back to back, that's an absolute killer. When you're playing three 7 footers together and they all have to chase the ball around the court, nothing good will happen.
regarding clarkson on those anger inducing possessions. I feel like I can read his mind and its saying "lets see if I can score here. Nope shut down. Ok now I will try to score over here. Shutdown. Crap I tried to score here and was shutdown again and now I picked up my dribble and Im double teamed. What should I do. Oh I know, I will try to score." Then he gets blocked or throws up some crap with little chance of going in.

Vando had 12 points in 17 minutes on 5-7 shooting and with 8 rebounds and 4 assists. 12, 8, and 4 in only 17 minutes are very very good numbers. Lakers beat the warriors without lebron. Vando also had zero turnovers.
Some of us might miss what he brought to this jazz team (mostly rebounding but also his passing for a big was quite good)
Beasley on the other sucked for the lakers and I dont think we miss what he brought to the jazz (chucking up shots and missing them.) Beasley was 2-9 from the field and 0-6 from three (sounds familiar) and had 3 turnovers in 16 minutes.

regarding clarkson on those anger inducing possessions. I feel like I can read his mind and its saying "lets see if I can score here. Nope shut down. Ok now I will try to score over here. Shutdown. Crap I tried to score here and was shutdown again and now I picked up my dribble and Im double teamed. What should I do. Oh I know, I will try to score." Then he gets blocked or throws up some crap with little chance of going in.
Jordan.. is that you?

Looking at the box score and I think last night was close to my dream come true from minutes standpoint. I would typically want a little less minutes for THT and a little more from Ochai but THT was the jazz best player last night so it totally makes sense to have THT with way more minutes than Ochai.
KO: 26 minutes (a tiny bit high but ok)
Lauri: 35 minutes (perfect)
Kessler: 35 minutes (perfect)
Sexton: 31 minutes (I would like him closer to 35 but its all good)
Clarkson: 40 minutes (too many. Should be closer to 35 as well.)
Ochai: 19 minutes (would like this to be closer to 24/25 minutes but THT was ballin so no problem last night with his minutes)
THT: 27 minutes (I think he should be around 20 minutes but again, he had his best game of the year)
Dok: 10 minutes (perfect)
Gay: 13 minutes (I would normally say that is too many but I got to admit, he has been hitting shots and making plays lately so Im gonna say 13 is perfect)
Simone: 4 minutes (I thought I would say he should get all Gays minutes but Tech has sucked *** and gay has played well so 4 minutes is perfect)

Good job Hardy!
Please get rid of Westbrook ainge so this minute distribution doesn't get destroyed.

Looking at the box score and I think last night was close to my dream come true from minutes standpoint. I would typically want a little less minutes for THT and a little more from Ochai but THT was the jazz best player last night so it totally makes sense to have THT with way more minutes than Ochai.
KO: 26 minutes (a tiny bit high but ok)
Lauri: 35 minutes (perfect)
Kessler: 35 minutes (perfect)
Sexton: 31 minutes (I would like him closer to 35 but its all good)
Clarkson: 40 minutes (too many. Should be closer to 35 as well.)
Ochai: 19 minutes (would like this to be closer to 24/25 minutes but THT was ballin so no problem last night with his minutes)
THT: 27 minutes (I think he should be around 20 minutes but again, he had his best game of the year)
Dok: 10 minutes (perfect)
Gay: 13 minutes (I would normally say that is too many but I got to admit, he has been hitting shots and making plays lately so Im gonna say 13 is perfect)
Simone: 4 minutes (I thought I would say he should get all Gays minutes but Tech has sucked *** and gay has played well so 4 minutes is perfect)

Good job Hardy!
Please get rid of Westbrook ainge so this minute distribution doesn't get destroyed.

Cut Clarkson’s minutes by about 12 and distribute them between Sexton/THT.

Vando had 12 points in 17 minutes on 5-7 shooting and with 8 rebounds and 4 assists. 12, 8, and 4 in only 17 minutes are very very good numbers. Lakers beat the warriors without lebron. Vando also had zero turnovers.
Some of us might miss what he brought to this jazz team (mostly rebounding but also his passing for a big was quite good)
Beasley on the other sucked for the lakers and I dont think we miss what he brought to the jazz (chucking up shots and missing them.) Beasley was 2-9 from the field and 0-6 from three (sounds familiar) and had 3 turnovers in 16 minutes.
For the life of me I don’t get the logic in trading Vando, dude has only scratched the surface of what he might become. For god sakes he’s still a young developing player that was just starting to develop his 3point game and drive game. He is already a good passer with some handles, and good defensive instincts imagine how that will improve as he improves his body and gets stronger. Just stupid for a Yong rebuilding team to trade away a young developmental player like that with upside, and to make matters worse he’s a laker now.

For the life of me I don’t get the logic in trading Vando, dude has only scratched the surface of what he might become. For god sakes he’s still a young developing player that was just starting to develop his 3point game and drive game. He is already a good passer with some handles, and good defensive instincts imagine how that will improve as he improves his body and gets stronger. Just stupid for a Yong rebuilding team to trade away a young developmental player like that with upside, and to make matters worse he’s a laker now.

He doesn’t fit long term next to Kessler. We have to give up value to get value. He actually had really bad on/off splits this year and isn’t as good of a defender as some may think.

He doesn’t fit long term next to Kessler. We have to give up value to get value. He actually had really bad on/off splits this year and isn’t as good of a defender as some may think.
What part of developing player did you not understand? Of course he’s bad now I’ve never shied away from that fact. We don’t want wins and he’s coming off the bench and at some point he will start shooting more 3’s and from all over not just in the corner. The tunnel vision on you is shocking

What part of developing player did you not understand? Of course he’s bad now I’ve never shied away from that fact. We don’t want wins and he’s coming off the bench and at some point he will start shooting more 3’s and from all over not just in the corner. The tunnel vision on you is shocking

I’d rather have the Lakers first than whatever you think we could develop Vanderbilt into. It’s not that hard to comprehend.