What's new

Finally took the plunge and published my book

Edge, I'm going to give you my 2 cents as well, and please -- by Gordon -- don't take it the wrong way... (don't you hate it when people start off like that?)

The cover on book number two is 10,000x better than number one. I'm not here to rip down your brother's art work, but damn, that looks like it took 3rd place in a Reflections contest. There is no way, as an adult, I would even pick that book up. It screams "children's book". Perhaps that is what you were going for? Anyhow, like I said, number two cover is much better, but at the same time, it's also pretty childish. Everything about it looks like it should have the name "R.L. STEINS GOOSEBUMPS" on it somewhere. Again, maybe that's what you're going for, but I wouldn't pick up this book either. I don't read as much as Archibald, but I do manage to get through three or four books a month, 90 percent of them in your genre. From what I've read (3 chapters) it's good and entertaining, but I fear people will not take the book seriously by the lack of a MASTERFUL cover. First impressions, you know. I don't know what your budget is, but if it were me, I'd be putting as much money as possible into making the cover a work of art. Also, the font on "Bowl of Souls" looks and reminds me of "Chicken Soup for the Soul".

I helped him with his cover and like what I did a lot...nothing crazy but just simple fixes imo...I wish he'd post what I did here but after I went to bed around 1am, he tinkered with it changing some, like the title, back to its' original state, in this case the Chicken Soup font...oof...Trevor, just put mine on here broseph. That **** looks phat.

Okay guys, I hear you.

After talking to several people, I have made some adjustments. What do you think of this?:
MOTDP sarah cover001 black border.jpg

The illustration needs to be changed. It looks like a picture from inside the book. Edge, you have to understand, the cover is the most important part of your book to get people to start reading it.

Here are some book covers I like from books I own.

bookman1-the-bookman.jpg

Throne-of-the-Crescent-Moon-Cover.jpg

2171685.jpg.size-300_maxheight-300_square-true.jpg

41DcGnwTMxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I wish I had the money to hire a design team. I already paid the lady who did the current one 175.00 up front. The other thing is that no one agrees on what looks good. I posted several of the designs up on facebook and each one has lovers and haters. Many wanted me to go back to the red cover. Here is another one.

MOTDP sarah cover008 black border.jpg

For an e-book I think you are doing just fine. Once you earn a little bit more, you should go all out.

Thanks.

Ok Guys, this is it. I am publishing now.

EOWW cover Full 007.jpg

I worked for a long time getting the top of the painting to blend in with the extra title space.

I know everyone hates to hear this, but:

Sell the **** out!!!

If publishers want potter/twilight ripoffs, give it too them. Write a couple of books doing just that. Get your foot in the door. It would be much better to get a couple of rip-off books published, then drop this series on the public having a name for yourself, some cash in your pocket, professional editors, and big time advertising.

I don't get why people are so adverse to selling out. It the game you have to play to become successful. Get your name out there.

LOL. Actually I am trying to find a happy medium. I am also working on a book about a wizard in modern day Atlanta that uses magic to solve crimes. He is actually a wizard pulled from the world of my other series that has to deal with modern inconveniences and rules. For instance how can he take a case that he has solved using magic and prove it in court.

This is a book that has characters and story that I find entertaining to write and still fits in with the contemporary fantasy model that is so popular right now. I am only about 8 chapters into the book so far.

Well, then, you are doing fine my friend. I'll toss 0.99 towards ya later today and give it a read.