What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

Paul Reed working. The form on his jumper is improving, but it's still kind of like Rasheed Wallace on meth.

Last edited:

Suggest reading. Great article. And I'm looking forward to his future breakdowns. Describes in deep detail why I am a huge fan of players like Riller and Dotson.

If ya really want to know what I think about "Experts", you need to see the film F Is For Fake by Orson Welles, which can be found free on youtube.

Anyone attempting to make youtube content should see that film just for its form because its a masterclass on structuring video essays, but thats a whole nother story..

Last edited:
People too often sit and spend their time trying to crown who's an expert on a topic, rather than getting their hands dirty and figuring it out by themselves, which is always better because its considerably less boring....

It's this cultural weird thing that people do...

what if your just reading the opinion of an expert who gets lucky, are you going to be able to detect that before it sours? if thats the case than the knowledge gained isnt transferrable.. This is why I always subscribe to reverse engineering things yourself, and acquiring that info for free on the internet, because it's probably out there for free if you look hard enough...

I do hope SCS keeps posting that guys material tho, cuz lets see what he's got to say and where it leads...

Last edited:
"and to read about it the next day in the newspaper is oddly more fun for us than the original event. This is a disaster. " - Alan Watts

The Jazz need to hold a pre-draft workout with Paul Reed, Jalen Smith and Zeke Nnaji all working out against each other.

Then they need another workout with Theo Maledon, Leandro Bolmaro and Desmond Bane.

People too often sit and spend their time trying to crown who's an expert on a topic, rather than getting their hands dirty and figuring it out by themselves, which is always better because its considerably less boring....

It's this cultural weird thing that people do...

what if your just reading the opinion of an expert who gets lucky, are you going to be able to detect that before it sours? if thats the case than the knowledge gained isnt transferrable.. This is why I always subscribe to reverse engineering things yourself, and acquiring that info for free on the internet, because it's probably out there for free if you look hard enough...

I do hope SCS keeps posting that guys material tho, cuz lets see what he's got to say and where it leads...

I never called him an expert lol. And yes, I form my own opinions. I'm also open to reading other peoples takes.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Hoopshype mock draft compilation
I noticed in the Mock Draft there are two U of Washington players listed in the first round. They led their team to a last place finish in the Pac12 last season.

The Jazz need to draft Precious Achiuwa or Paul Reed.

It's so obvious watching Jazz games what the primary issue for this team is.

Our backup bigs just aren't versatile enough for us. Tony Bradley has shown good flashes but he's really inconsistent. And even when he plays well all that he provides is rebounding and serviceable play around the rim on both ends. Georges Niang can shoot. That's it. That's all he can do. He can't defend. He can't pass. He can't rebound. He doesn't generate blocks or steals. When Rudy comes out of the game it's just a nightmare.

We need a versatile big who can different things on the floor. Reed and Achiuwa are athletes. They defend. They generate blocks and steals. They can faceup and handle a little bit.

If the Jazz were to draft one of these guys it would actually benefit Bradley and/or Niang.

Achiuwa/Niang > Bradley/Niang
Reed/Niang > Bradley/Niang
Bradley/Achiuwa > Bradley/Niang
Bradley/Reed > Bradley/Niang

Bradley would benefit from a more versatile player next to him at PF. Niang would benefit from a more versatile player next to him at C.

Last edited:
I fully expect the Jazz to draft a big too. Whether it's Pokusevski, Smith, Achiuwa, Reed, even Tyler Bey. I think that's the direction they go. I mean look how we got to where we are...

The Jazz #1 target in free agency last summer was Nikola Mirotic. Not Bojan Bogdanovic. And I believe that the reason that they were targeting Niko first was because he was a far better rebounder and shot blocker than Bogey. Niko goes overseas. They get Bogey. Bogey plays extremely well but the concerns with his defense/rebounding are proven accurate.

The Jazz sign Ed Davis and Jeff Green to provide depth because Bradley isn't ready and they don't want to play Niang extensive minutes. Both flop. Green waived. Davis benched.

Bradley and Niang are forced into minutes. Bradley shows he's still not quite ready and shows limitations. Niang shows obvious limitations.

The Jazz aren't quite in to digging even deeper into bench to play development guys like Morgan or Brantley.

I'm sure the Jazz see this as the main issue that they need to figure out as well. The guards/wings for the most part have given us what we expected other than the inconsistency from Conley.

I fully expect the Jazz to draft a big too. Whether it's Pokusevski, Smith, Achiuwa, Reed, even Tyler Bey. I think that's the direction they go. I mean look how we got to where we are...

The Jazz #1 target in free agency last summer was Nikola Mirotic. Not Bojan Bogdanovic. And I believe that the reason that they were targeting Niko first was because he was a far better rebounder and shot blocker than Bogey. Niko goes overseas. They get Bogey. Bogey plays extremely well but the concerns with his defense/rebounding are proven accurate.

The Jazz sign Ed Davis and Jeff Green to provide depth because Bradley isn't ready and they don't want to play Niang extensive minutes. Both flop. Green waived. Davis benched.

Bradley and Niang are forced into minutes. Bradley shows he's still not quite ready and shows limitations. Niang shows obvious limitations.

The Jazz aren't quite in to digging even deeper into bench to play development guys like Morgan or Brantley.

I'm sure the Jazz see this as the main issue that they need to figure out as well. The guards/wings for the most part have given us what we expected other than the inconsistency from Conley.

I think the Jazz would like to acquire a stretchy big. Remember that the Jazz had scheduled a meeting to sign Bobby Portis prior to Bogdanovic telling the Jazz he'd sign with them. I think that both Jalen Smith and Paul Reed are in play at #24 in the draft. Pokusevski would be a fantastic get in the draft, but he's so young and underdeveloped physically that he's not going to have much impact his first two seasons. However, I'm not convinced that the Jazz are going to wait on a rookie regardless. I think they'll try to pick up a veteran somehow.

Olynyk or Christian Wood would be nice to grab in free agency if the Jazz can clear some salary.

The fact that the Jazz struck out on both Ed Davis and Jeff Green really hurts.

Last edited:

I also feel like Reggie Perry should be in play if he isn't red flagged. His measurables are as good as Tristan Thompson's when Thompson was drafted.

Last edited:
I think the Jazz would like to acquire a stretchy big. Remember that the Jazz had scheduled a meeting to sign Bobby Portis prior to Bogdanovic telling the Jazz he'd sign with them. I think that both Jalen Smith and Paul Reed are in play at #24 in the draft. Pokusevski would be a fantastic get in the draft, but he's so young and underdeveloped physically that he's not going to have much impact his first two seasons. However, I'm not convinced that the Jazz are going to wait on a rookie regardless. I think they'll try to pick up a veteran somehow.

Olynyk or Christian Wood would be nice to grab in free agency if the Jazz can clear some salary.

The fact that the Jazz struck out on both Ed Davis and Jeff Green really hurts.

It's such an issue that I think that they might double down and draft a big and then go sign one too. Because I don't think they can really afford to put all the eggs in one basket. Given the age of most of our core the window is really the next few years. They gotta find a fix for this fast.

It's such an issue that I think that they might double down and draft a big and then go sign one too. Because I don't think they can really afford to put all the eggs in one basket. Given the age of most of our core the window is really the next few years. They gotta find a fix for this fast.

I think Paul Reed would be a great fit for the Jazz. He could replace Royce in the starting lineup (at the 4) by the end of his rookie season if things go well. He should be a legit 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan and can be a tempest on defense.

Reactions: SCS
I think Paul Reed would be a great fit for the Jazz. He could replace Royce in the starting lineup (at the 4) by the end of his rookie season if things go well. He should be a legit 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan and can be a tempest on defense.

Yeah like I said before I really like Reed. Players who are elite event generators on defense like he was don't generally fail. I think at worst he would end up as a strong defensive backup at the 5 for Rudy. I don't think he's the best isolation defender amongst the bigs (I think Achiuwa, T Bey, Tillman are better in that regard) but he's a really good team defender.

My biggest concern with him is just that his motor isn't always as good as it should be. Also I've heard there are concerns about how well he takes coaching. One source I saw said he's an ego driven player. Which might not be a bad thing. But if true it may mean he might need the right coach/situation to get the best out of him.

Last edited: