What's new

Former Jazz players around the league

Ricky Rubio out of the world cup and possibly next season to take care of his mental health. All the best to him, hope he recovers soon.
Playing with Donovan on two different teams takes a toll on you

Let's give $12 million per year to a non-shooting 9th man who also can't make a layup, clogs up the lane and is an overrated defender.

Never change, Lakers.

Happy for Vando but ooofff if that is the number I wait until the offseason to pay him as FA. Only give extensions to non-stars at a discount.

The Vanderbilt stuff still perplexes me to a degree.

He rates out pretty well on some advanced defensive stats, at worst average, but he seemed below average to me on the Jazz. Nearly every other person outside of Jazz fans disagrees with that tho and Lakers fans seemed to like him, so maybe I was just a Vando hater.

Offensively I doubt he ever amounts to much, but he showed some wide open spot up ability that has some upside if he continues to get better.

tldr: I dont think he is worth MLE money, but I think 75% of the NBA probably does, so it's probably a solid deal.

The Vanderbilt stuff still perplexes me to a degree.

He rates out pretty well on some advanced defensive stats, at worst average, but he seemed below average to me on the Jazz. Nearly every other person outside of Jazz fans disagrees with that tho and Lakers fans seemed to like him, so maybe I was just a Vando hater.

Once again, Vando is fine if you're a team that can afford to have a guy out there whose only function is to hunt for loose balls and offensive rebounds. In other words, he has to play with 4 shooters/scorers. That's the situation he had in Minny and he looked way better than he is as a consequence.

If you're expecting him to carry any kind of an offensive load or stop guys the same size as him, you're going to be disappointed.

Apparently LeGM likes him, though, and that's all that matters in LA.

I don't think the 12m a year is the worst part with the projected cap spike, but the 4 years is the bad thing at a contract that should only be worth It If the guy adds at least one corner 3 to his offensive arsenal (yet in his five seasons he not only failed to shoot threes, but also never had a season shooting above 70% from the line)

Last edited:
Once again, Vando is fine if you're a team that can afford to have a guy out there whose only function is to hunt for loose balls and offensive rebounds. In other words, he has to play with 4 shooters/scorers. That's the situation he had in Minny and he looked way better than he is as a consequence.

If you're expecting him to carry any kind of an offensive load or stop guys the same size as him, you're going to be disappointed.

Apparently LeGM likes him, though, and that's all that matters in LA.
You're still just commenting on offense. I know what he is offensively. My issue with him in Utah is that the defense never seemed as good as advertised.

He’s an average defender disguised as a defensive menace. Fine as your 4th big or 3rd big of your other bigs can shoot and protect the rim. His value on the court is easy to replace and this I would not pay him like this until I had to. I would have done 4/40 with a team option on final year on the top end. You just want there to be a chance he outperforms the deal if you pay him early. At 4/48 with a PO I don’t see getting excess value. Lakers have signed a handful of medium deals that could be dicey. Rui, Russell, and now Vando… but I guess they saved some on Reaves cuz no one tried to mess with them (looking at you Spurs).

He’s an average defender disguised as a defensive menace. Fine as your 4th big or 3rd big of your other bigs can shoot and protect the rim. His value on the court is easy to replace and this I would not pay him like this until I had to. I would have done 4/40 with a team option on final year on the top end. You just want there to be a chance he outperforms the deal if you pay him early. At 4/48 with a PO I don’t see getting excess value. Lakers have signed a handful of medium deals that could be dicey. Rui, Russell, and now Vando… but I guess they saved some on Reaves cuz no one tried to mess with them (looking at you Spurs).
See, I agree with you, but nearly everyone disagrees with us to the point where I tend to believe what we saw in Utah must have been his low point, or he wasnt used in his optimal way defensively.