What's new

Former Jazz players around the league

Rudy Gobert-Bourgarel is indubitably, by metrics alone, one of thy all-time greatest players of our Jazz. Donovan Mitchell Jr., in contradistinction, shall never escape thy prescient suspicion of sympathizing with a departure from our Jazz and demonstrating an antipathy towards defensive/preventive measures when the opponents dribble thy basketball. Yet in the shadow of their absences, we see Rudy’s team struggling to make a distinct impression on the NBA resultados. Lo, Mitchell Jr.’s Cavaliers are performing, no pun intended, cavalierly. It is an odd, strange circumstance within our world.

Rudy Gobert-Bourgarel is indubitably, by metrics alone, one of thy all-time greatest players of our Jazz. Donovan Mitchell Jr., in contradistinction, shall never escape thy prescient suspicion of sympathizing with a departure from our Jazz and demonstrating an antipathy towards defensive/preventive measures when the opponents dribble thy basketball. Yet in the shadow of their absences, we see Rudy’s team struggling to make a distinct impression on the NBA resultados. Lo, Mitchell Jr.’s Cavaliers are performing, no pun intended, cavalierly. It is an odd, strange circumstance within our world.
It has everything to do with when the Jazz have picks coming from those two teams. Gotta be more patient. Doubt Donovan will continue playing at this level once the shine comes off in Cleveland. Thankfully, that’s when those picks start coming due.

It has everything to do with when the Jazz have picks coming from those two teams. Gotta be more patient. Doubt Donovan will continue playing at this level once the shine comes off in Cleveland. Thankfully, that’s when those picks start coming due.
Looks like they could be challenging for years to come though they look mighty impressive today. And young.

Looks like they could be challenging for years to come though they look mighty impressive today. And young.
Gotta pay all those young players at some point. Hard to do that when Donovan is taking up so much of a percentage of the cap. Can’t keep them all, and he’s arguably the guy they have the least amount of organizational control over his long-term future. Even if he stays, I’m not sure how long they can keep their core together. Factor in injuries and they’ll face a downturn at some point during the stretch the Jazz own their picks.

Gotta pay all those young players at some point. Hard to do that when Donovan is taking up so much of a percentage of the cap. Can’t keep them all, and he’s arguably the guy they have the least amount of organizational control over his long-term future. Even if he stays, I’m not sure how long they can keep their core together. Factor in injuries and they’ll face a downturn at some point during the stretch the Jazz own their picks.
Cavs will also be screwed if they implement any type of hard cap. They can't be paying 3 max contracts to Don, Garland, Mobley and pay any of their other guys such as Allen, etc. Don will be the first one up for FA in '25 and big market teams will have him circled.

Cavs will also be screwed if they implement any type of hard cap. They can't be paying 3 max contracts to Don, Garland, Mobley and pay any of their other guys such as Allen, etc. Don will be the first one up for FA in '25 and big market teams will have him circled.
Gilbert is one of the most likely to go into the tax owners in sports though. They don't care about it if the team contends.

Gilbert is one of the most likely to go into the tax owners in sports though. They don't care about it if the team contends.
Agreed but I thought they were potentially talking about a hard cap in the next CBA (which would probably cause a strike but I think it's the best way to even the playing field).

There were nights he'd try in Utah... lets see what he looks like in a month or so.

It does make me pissed off he seems to have checked out on us when we had a real chance to do something awesome.
Yeah he seemed to let some off court stuff and his supposed beef with Rudy become more important than his actual play the past 2 seasons in Utah.

It's amazing what you can do when you actually try on defense.

View: https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/1587991375621935104

Getting away from Quin was such a blessing for Don. It's good to have a good relationship with your coach, it's not good to form that relationship absent of accountability. It wasn't just Don who slacked off on defense, it was everyone.

Quin was great for the Jazz earlier, but its a damn shame we never got to see that version of the Jazz with a different coach. It doesn't surprise me that Mitchell is excelling greatly in a different environment. He needed it badly.

Nobody ever mentions Grayson Allen, but it still chaps my cheeks that we had to give up he and Jae Crowder in the Conley deal. Better for both actually particularly Allen cause he probably never gets out of Snyder’s doghouse.

There were nights he'd try in Utah... lets see what he looks like in a month or so.

It does make me pissed off he seems to have checked out on us when we had a real chance to do something awesome.

I remember when he came back from his concussion last year, he was clearly putting in much more effort defensively. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few games, then by the playoffs he seemed to just give up altogether. It'll definitely be interesting to see if he sustains this effort with the Cavs.

It's amazing what you can do when you actually try on defense.

View: https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/1587991375621935104

I call BS.

Here's the thing: The Dallas series made everyone way overstate how bad Donovan is on defense. Regular season Donovan was mostly fine on defense.

I'm sure he is probably a bit better on D in Cleveland. Without really doing a deep-dive, I would assume Cleveland probably preaches more activity off-ball than Utah did, so that's probably helping Donovan do a bit more defensive playmaking. And with DG being out, he has been able to be hidden on defense to a large degree. When I watched the Knicks/Cavs game, he was still getting absolutely sauced by Jalen Brunson on switches. In the playoffs I would he will still get sauced when teams hunt him on switches.

I think it's mostly just a newness factor combined with the bar being set extremely low with everyone last impression of Donovan being the worst defender on the planet when the reality he is mostly just mediocre.

"Sources tell cleveland.com that Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell, listed as questionable going into the night, won’t play because of injuries suffered in Wednesday’s hard-fought win over the Boston Celtics. Garland has a sprained left knee while Mitchell sprained his left ankle. Neither are believed to be serious injuries."