What's new

Former Jazz players around the league

I guess Garland froze out Donovan in their epic collapse last night. Heh.

Sam Amick had an interview with Donovan in The Athletic today. Don said he heard the Jazz were asking the Knicks for RJ and a hell of a lot of picks. He did some serious deflecting when asked about staying in Clevland long term, and whether he may bounce in a few years. Said he's not interested in any down the road discussion. He likes the group they have and hopes they can do something special, but he doesn't know what will happen in two or three years.

Don said that he's able to be assert himself at a different level defensively and be more engaged on that end because he has guys the Garland and Lavert that have relieved some of the pressure and burden offensively, which allows him to use more energy defensively. Kind of a strange thing to say considering the Jazz had the number 1 offense last year and number 2 the year before, and he got to play with guys that were really good offensively like Bogey, Clarkson, Conley, and Ingles.

He gave credit to former Jazz teammates Conley, Rubio and Ingles for mentoring him. He feels like he's able to be a better leader with the Cavs because of what he learned from those guys. He's looking forward to facing Rudy on Sunday. Says he and Rudy don't hate each other, and actually have a good relationship despite everything that's been reported, but in the end they just couldn't get over the hump in Utah and accomplish their ultimate goal.

Don said that he's able to be assert himself at a different level defensively and be more engaged on that end because he has guys the Garland and Lavert that have relieved some of the pressure and burden offensively, which allows him to use more energy defensively.
This is also weird since whenever I check the box score he seems like he is shooting even more than he was in utah.
Just looked it up. He is averaging a career high in shot attempts per game at 22 this season. His comment doesn't track very well. (I know there is more to offense and energy on that end than just shooting but still, his usage seems to be very very high in cleveland.)

This is also weird since whenever I check the box score he seems like he is shooting even more than he was in utah.
Just looked it up. He is averaging a career high in shot attempts per game at 22 this season. His comment doesn't track very well. (I know there is more to offense and energy on that end than just shooting but still, his usage seems to be very very high in cleveland.)

Yeah, his reasoning for why his defense has improved with the Cavs doesn't make any sense. I think he's just trying to make up excuses for why he didn't put forth enough effort on the defensive end while he was in Utah.

Yeah, his reasoning for why his defense has improved with the Cavs doesn't make any sense. I think he's just trying to make up excuses for why he didn't put forth enough effort on the defensive end while he was in Utah.
Gobert was covering for him here, Mobley and Allen are covering for him there.

He is playing better defense since its still their honeymoon. But with the rate he is scoring, he will feel entitled to rest on defense soon enough.

I see Royce had a +/- of -40 yesterday.

I'm not a huge believer in that stat or anything, but still, yikes.

I can't imagine being a Minny or Cleveland fan right now. They went all in and it didn't look good right now for either. Both might turn it around though. Jazz might be having a rough patch and they might end up falling off, if so who cares. We have a million picks and have pretty much all of our own thing forward.

I can't imagine being a Minny or Cleveland fan right now. They went all in and it didn't look good right now for either. Both might turn it around though. Jazz might be having a rough patch and they might end up falling off, if so who cares. We have a million picks and have pretty much all of our own thing forward.
It's early but there are some parallels between those 2 teams.

Edwards hasn't taken the next step in Minny. Mobley isn't taking the next step in Cleveland.

KAT and Rudy don't seem to be a great mix.

Don and Garland seem to be a clunky pairing in Cleveland. The individual parts are better than the sum.

Maybe they figure it all out but early returns are a bit shaky.

I have less faith in DM + DG than KAT + Rudy as a working duo, but I still think Cleveland will go further with their group. Minnys issues go way beyond their bigs not meshing.

Its almost every time when you combine 2 guys who want to bounce and drive a lot, they become less than the sum of their parts. Either 1 or both has to change their game for it to work.

Royce just recorded a triple double and put the winning basket ( offensive rebound) and KD miss.
- Just after KD make another drama queen performance in media stating that players around him were not good enough...sometimes, you should just shut up.....
- Still a mystery for me how we could not make it last 2 years when i see performances this year of our traded players in their new team. Royce play quite well, Bodga, Don and Rudy well too. This failure will always remain a mystery for me....

Also KD missed a clutch FT and gave Nurkic And-1 when they were up 3.

KD had a good game, but almost imploded them in the clutch.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot about the turnover via offensive foul he took when they were inbounding at 30 sec mark.