What's new

Game #11: Nets at Jazz, Saturday 01/14/2012 7:00 MST

I'll be very curious to see how Ty works the minutes tomorrow. We have to stop playing Kanter and Favors together. In the second half tonight, he took out Al earlier and staggered the minutes until the game was out of hand. To beat Denver, we have to keep Al or Sap on the floor at all times.

Favors is really becoming a problem. He's better than Kanter on the floor, but I dread every time he gets the low post pass. There was one nice moment in the 4th tonight when he passed to Kanter. They should show him that highlight 10,000 times. He has to stop putting his head down on offense.

As this season goes on, Al and Sap need to play 30 plus, Favors needs to get 3rd big duties, and Kanter has to get squeezed. I love what Kanter brings, but he has no concept of defense. He plays HIS man, he has no concept of help D, and he constantly misses rotations.

I have to wonder what Deron thought looking at our team. Put him with us now, and we could be top 4 in the West. He'll still sign elsewhere, but I think Deron is going to sign at less than a Max deal only because he wants to play on a winner. 1% chance it's us, but no way does he sign with Jersey. I'll be very interested to see how Deron maps out the rest of his career.

Best moment of the night was Hayward's take where Humphries fouled him. In truth, it was a clean block. But maybe Hayward will realize that if he's aggressive like that clean blocks can be called fouls and he needs to start doing that more.

Forgot to mention the biggest thing: The Millsap/Al tandem is coming alive. In the 1st quarter tonight Al made at least 2 passes I can remember on plays where he would ordinarily have just gone to work. The better they keep playing, the better we can be. The early returns are very good.

Favors is really becoming a problem. He's better than Kanter on the floor, but I dread every time he gets the low post pass. There was one nice moment in the 4th tonight when he passed to Kanter. They should show him that highlight 10,000 times. He has to stop putting his head down on offense.

Every since either you or Numbrica mentioned it I've been paying more attention, and boy are you right. He just doesn't pass the ball. He's still young and pretty raw so i have hope he'll improve that, but I hope he doesn't start to mimic Al, who has at least become a little better this year.

Got a couple things out of this game...

Deron is still Deron. He was frustrated and dissatisfied with his situation and offense... I can't blame him. Only a fool would play DW off the ball with Farmar. Those guys would have been WAY better off just playing P&R with Deron and Humphries, with MarShon and especially Morrow ready when the D collapses. WTF they were doing I don't know. Turrible. Yet DW still pulled a number of plays out of his rear. His numbers are not good but Deron is still Deron.

Raja has had consecutive productive games.

Paul Millsap is the best player on the Jazz.

Kanter is earning a serious role, and Favors better watch out. We all assumed this learning curve for Favors but Kanter is playing harder and obviously loves the game more than Derrick.

That being said Favors looked pretty good too. Saw, again, nice hustle on D and flashes of what he could become offensively. Just not as much hustle as Kanter, whose competition should make both of these guys a lot better a lot sooner. (I hope).

NJ is a terrible team. They don't have an Identity even with DWill. Unbelievable. What a waste. Even with Lopez they are going to suck until they get a real coach who knows how to use his players.

Felt great to see a win. Love this Jazz team. Wish Deron was on it. After tonight I wouldn't doubt he wishes he was too.

You sound like an 18 year old broad on Myspace. I'm brutally honest, I speak my mind, blah blah blah.

In my experience, brutally honest people who speak their minds are seen by colleagues as boorish nincompoops. They have a fundamental inability to perceive that nobody else is interested in their 'brutally honest' opinions.

My family of teabagger nut cases are brutally honest and never fail to speak their minds, which is why I spend as little time with them as I can possibly get away with.

Favors is really becoming a problem. He's better than Kanter on the floor, but I dread every time he gets the low post pass. There was one nice moment in the 4th tonight when he passed to Kanter.
That was his first assist in 251 minutes of court time.

Nice to see CJ get back into rhythm.
CJ has a rhythm? Seriously, while it was good to see him attack the basket, the Nets big men are so woeful that Humphries is the best of them all by a mile, so this isn't a huge accomplishment. If he can do that against Nene and the rest of the Nuggets frontline, and not revert to chucking from the safety of the three-point line, then I'll be impressed.

As this season goes on, Al and Sap need to play 30 plus, Favors needs to get 3rd big duties, and Kanter has to get squeezed. I love what Kanter brings, but he has no concept of defense. He plays HIS man, he has no concept of help D, and he constantly misses rotations.
Sorry to disagree, but I think his defence is fine. And he is an absolute monster on the boards, right up with Dwight Howard in REB/MIN. Except on the offensive glass, where his rebound rate is way BETTER than D12. In fact, without checking the numbers of anyone else, I'd be willing to say he is probably the best offensive rebounder in the league right now, and it won't even be close. I don't think Kanter will get squeezed, I think we'll keep rolling with the four-headed beast we have right now.

Enis is 3rd in NBA in Reb/40mins

Howard - 19.3
Bynum - 19.1
Kanter - 18.8

There is no doubt he is an excellent rebounder. If he played more mins his reb/min would go down due to playing against better players. But this number and watching him says he's an excellent rebounder.

There is no doubt some of Favors offense is forced. But I think he is being told to put the ball up each time he touches it for his development.

I think the rotations are about right in terms of mins and players. The balance of 2vets together with two rookies together is fine. The reason is that the vet-set needs full practice time together as the season goes on. They are our best hope for playoff victory. We've seen the evolution of both BigAl and Paul this year - Al as a passer and Paul as a better scorer. I agree with letting those two simmer together for the regular season to see how good they can be come playoff time.

You're over-reacting a bit. They're not worried about Favors assist numbers. They're worried about whether or not he'll be a go to guy some day. I don't want Favors passing the ball out of the post, I want him developing his offensive game.

As far as his overall play is concerned, he's making progress. He has developed his timing for blocking shots, he's not fouling as much. He's defending more with his body than his hands. Yeah, there is room for improvement; but it's readily obvious that if he were to be getting starter minutes, he'd be averaging a double-double right now. How many 20 years can you say that about?

Well of course Jerry isn't going to throw Deron under the bus or vice versa... For petes sake, I don't understand why some people actually believe anybody would do this in front of the camera...

It would ruin both of their images if they blackballed each other...

Use your brain!

Yet you and others seem to not be using their brains when they think DW was solely responsible for Sloan leaving. Like Sloan never had a problem with other players (Arroyo, Amaechi, Malone, AK, etc). Maybe Jazz fans should realize that it was time for Jerry to go. I am sure there were several factors in his decision to quit so blaming DW shows a lack of critical thinking.

Yea, Magic Johnson's image sure got hurt when he actually forced out Paul Westphal. I remember MJ pushing Doug Collins out of Chicago too even though it wasn't as obvious. Other coaches have dissed players in the press and they are still coaching.

It's too bad you can't combine Favors' length and athleticism with Kanter's strength, hands and feet.

I'll be very curious to see how Ty works the minutes tomorrow. We have to stop playing Kanter and Favors together. In the second half tonight, he took out Al earlier and staggered the minutes until the game was out of hand. To beat Denver, we have to keep Sap on the floor at all times.

Fixed.

Jefferson is starting to disappear on the boards. His agresiveness seems to have been hindered by the LA game. I have to be a little pessimistic about Al's passing. I see it as more if a "he's not trying as hard", as opposed to "he is making the right play".

Wow, this seems like hyperbole to me. I've been ecstatic with Kanter's defense. The guy moves laterally like MC Hammer, and plays pick and roll defense 100x better than Al. He gets in passing lanes, blocks about a shot and a half /game/36, and defensively rebounds everything (how many offensive rebounds did Al give up last night). The only thing that he does do is doesn't rotate perfectly every time, but he is damn good already, and he occasionally boxes out his man rather than taking the guard streaking to the basket. He'll learn on both of these when he watches tape. Watching him play defense on Bynum and Gasol was a joy, denying post position, entry passes, and generally bugging them. At 19, he is already more advanced than a lot of NBA bigs on D.

There is no doubt some of Favors offense is forced. But I think he is being told to put the ball up each time he touches it for his development.
No, good passing makes everybody better. Drawing multiple defenders and finding high percentage shots for teammates is how you win games.

Last edited:
Wow, this seems like hyperbole to me. I've been ecstatic with Kanter's defense. The guy moves laterally like MC Hammer, and plays pick and roll defense 100x better than Al. He gets in passing lanes, blocks about a shot and a half /game/36, and defensively rebounds everything (how many offensive rebounds did Al give up last night). The only thing that he does do is doesn't rotate perfectly every time, but he is damn good already, and he occasionally boxes out his man rather than taking the guard streaking to the basket. He'll learn on both of these when he watches tape. Watching him play defense on Bynum and Gasol was a joy, denying post position, entry passes, and generally bugging them. At 19, he is already more advanced than a lot of NBA bigs on D.

I agree with this post. Kanter's defense is a TON better than where I expected it would be this year.