What's new

Game #11: Nets at Jazz, Saturday 01/14/2012 7:00 MST

Wow, this seems like hyperbole to me. I've been ecstatic with Kanter's defense. The guy moves laterally like MC Hammer, and plays pick and roll defense 100x better than Al. He gets in passing lanes, blocks about a shot and a half /game/36, and defensively rebounds everything (how many offensive rebounds did Al give up last night). The only thing that he does do is doesn't rotate perfectly every time, but he is damn good already, and he occasionally boxes out his man rather than taking the guard streaking to the basket. He'll learn on both of these when he watches tape. Watching him play defense on Bynum and Gasol was a joy, denying post position, entry passes, and generally bugging them. At 19, he is already more advanced than a lot of NBA bigs on D.

I also agree with this.
The only problem with Kanter and Favors being in the game at the same time, is there is no offense.

I also agree with this.
The only problem with Kanter and Favors being in the game at the same time, is there is no offense.
I agree. That's why I'd typically prefer Favors and Jefferson starting, with Millsap coming in at around the 6-minute mark. Or the opposite--sit AJ or PM in mid-Q1, and bring in Favors, and then bring back the sitting starter early in Q2. Depends in part on the matchups.

I agree. That's why I'd typically prefer Favors and Jefferson starting, with Millsap coming in at around the 6-minute mark. Or the opposite--sit AJ or PM in mid-Q1, and bring in Favors, and then bring back the sitting starter early in Q2. Depends in part on the matchups.
Exactly. Millsap and Jefferson are scorers. Favors and Kanter can concentrate on boards, putbacks and defense. I wish Favors were further along offensively. Maybe someday he'll be as good a PF as Humphries (LOL).

So I rewatched Kanter's minutes. He definitely played better D than I thought. The things that stood out on the bad side were his failures to rotate out to the corner a couple times. He'll get that. I also originally thought he was getting lost in space too much (which is more understandable from a wing, not from a big man.)

But I saw something kind of interesting. We definitely closed the 1st and 3rd in a zone with Kanter and Favors. Then there were a couple of possessions where it looked like we were in a matchup zone. It was hard to tell, but matchup zones can look like man to man. His positioning on those plays would often put him on the opposite side of the lane from Sheldon Williams which looks funky. Anyway, playing a matchup zone with Favors/Kanter is a pretty good idea if that's what it was.