What's new

General NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
A lot of players could shoot 48.6%/45%/88% for 20.6 points, 4 rebounds, and 2.5 assists per game?

Yes, pretty close if they were wide open and all of the shots were assisted. I think there are enough good shooters in the league if that is all they are asked to do and have the kind of space and lack of pressure he has they could do that.

I really like Klay and think he can do more, but again, he does not.

Nobody in the NBA gets as many open assisted shots as Klay. He is having an extra special year shooting from 3. But that is literally all he is doing. I think Hood could be pretty close to those numbers as well if he never had to create and had open shots like that.

Eric Gordon isn't even a starter... LOL ..

Yet his team is within a couple games of GS this season and he is a large reason why, especially since he has started a bunch and stepped up with CP3 missing games. He creates a lot more of his own shots, waaayyyy more than Klay does.

Again do you think GS is 4X better in the regular season this year than Houston?

Yet his team is within a couple games of GS this season and he is a large reason why, especially since he has started a bunch and stepped up with CP3 missing games. He creates a lot more of his own shots, waaayyyy more than Klay does.

Again do you think GS is 4X better in the regular season this year than Houston?

LOL .. Harden, CP3 and Capela are the main reasons they're right up there with GS. They are unbeaten with those 3 in the lineup.

Gordon is a solid role player and gap filler when either CP3 or Harden are injured, nothing more.

BTW Wes actually has had Eric Gordon on his fantasy team for 2 years in a row now. If anything he should be pumping his player - so I tend to believe him when he says Klay is better.

BTW Wes actually has had Eric Gordon on his fantasy team for 2 years in a row now. If anything he should be pumping his player - so I tend to believe him when he says Klay is better.
Yeah, I already said Klay is better. That does not mean he is doing more.

GS would have the same record or fairly close without Klay. He has two MVP caliber players carrying him he is the 4th best player on his team.

Look how good a borderline NBA talent player Ian Clark looked.

LOL .. Harden, CP3 and Capela are the main reasons they're right up there with GS. They are unbeaten with those 3 in the lineup.

Gordon is a solid role player and gap filler when either CP3 or Harden are injured, nothing more.
So you think called Capella should get in over green then since he is a bigger part of his team being about the same record as GS?

Or do you think cp3 and harden are better than Durant and Curry?

Yeah, I already said Klay is better. That does not mean he is doing more.

GS would have the same record or fairly close without Klay. He has two MVP caliber players carrying him he is the 4th best player on his team.

Look how good a borderline NBA talent player Ian Clark looked.

So Klay should be penalized for having too many All Stars in his team?

So you think called Capella should get in over green then since he is a bigger part of his team being about the same record as GS?

Or do you think cp3 and harden are better than Durant and Curry?

You can't just compare win/loss record straight up like that as you have to take into account the level of competition each team faced, how many injuries there are, etc.

CP3 did not play enough games in my view to be worthy of a selection. Capella while very good isn't yet playing at Green's level.

You can't just compare win/loss record straight up like that as you have to take into account the level of competition each team faced, how many injuries there are, etc.

CP3 did not play enough games in my view to be worthy of a selection. Capella while very good isn't yet playing at Green's level.

They faced the same level of competition and I guess you are right Rockets have had far more injuries so they deserve more players on the all-star team because they have done the same amount with less.

So Klay should be penalized for having too many All Stars in his team?

Yes, if he does not do enough to warrant being an all-star.

Players like Booker should be penalized for their W/L record because they dont have more all-stars on their team?

I really like Klay in the ASG for a simple reason: What he does is something very few players can do, especially reaching his level of unselfishness...
A lot of players can be first options and fill that role successfully, but for a player who could be a first option to do the unselfish thing and be a third option that creates room for other ball handlers and to defend hard is rare. You can see with a lot of those "Big3" ensembles this year that sharing a basketball is actually hard. The Wolves have problems to find and accept roles(First Butler looked off, then Towns for a while and now Wiggins), same goes for the Thunder, who are slowly starting to figure things out, but early season Westbrook was awful. The energy he could save on offense didn't translate into better off the ball movement and more defensive effort. How Boston will look once Hayward is back healthy remains to be seen, but I think it'll be a cleaner look due to Horford's versatility, Philly could easily run into issues there as well long term.

On the other hand when teams have high level performer, who specialize on defense, the look is much cleaner, if you remember last year's Clips, this year's Rockets, the Raptors...Thompson just does so much more by actively contributing offensively in a way that it doesn't diminish what the playmakers do. That's huge!

Last edited:
I really like Klay in the ASG for a simple reason: What he does is something very few players can do, especially reaching his level of unselfishness...
A lot of players can be first options and fill that role successfully, but for a player who could be a first option to do the unselfish thing and be a first option that creates room for other ball handlers and to defend hard is rare. You can see with a lot of those "Big3" ensembles this year that sharing a basketball is actually hard. The Wolves have problems to find and accept roles(First Butler looked off, then Towns for a while and now Wiggins), same goes for the Thunder, who are slowly starting to figure things out, but early season Westbrook was awful. The energy he could save on offense didn't translate into better off the ball movement and more defensive effort. How Boston will look once Hayward is back healthy remains to be seen, but I think it'll be a cleaner look due to Horford's versatility, Philly could easily run into issues there as well long term.

On the other hand when teams have high level performer, who specialize on defense, the look is much cleaner, if you remember last year's Clips, this year's Rockets, the Raptors...Thompson just does so much more by actively contributing offensively in a way that it doesn't diminish what the playmakers do. That's huge!

Thank you.

Lets compare what some players that didnt make it to Klay. Booker, CJ and Gordon.

Klay scored the second least out of the group and the least per 100 possessions.

Klay was assisted on more shots than anyone else in that group.

Klay created the least amount of offense for himself.

Klay has the lowest steal percentage

Klay has the lowest assist percentage

Klay has the second lowest PER

Klay has the most talent on his team and is the least important player to that team winning or not.

Then there are a bunch of stats that he is in the middle at of that pack.

They only thing he is definitively better at this year is his 3 point shooting percentage. But again he has the easiest shots, he does not create them he is assisted on almost all of them (leads the league in this for qualified players) and is wide open for them most of the time.

Klay Shoots 1.1 shots per game that are considered very tight shot where a defender is within 2 feet of him. He shoots 9.1 shots per game that are wide open where there is no defender within 4+ feet of him. Booker shoots 9.8 of his shots that are tightly contest, that is almost half of his shots. Where over half of Klays shots are open. CJ shoots 8.3 of his 18 shots per game that are that are tightly contest. He gets a bunch that are in that open window 4-6 but almost never gets wide open shots.

Durant and Curry lead the team with very contested shots and lead their team in the FG percentage on those shots. Klay is at the bottom of his team on those shots FG%, the only ones worse are Zaza and Livington. Klay is also towards the bottom of the list on his team FG% on tight shots. On his open shots he gets a lot of them but still isnt terribly good on those shots at only 42%, where guys like Durant are more than 10% higher. Where Klay really shines is on wide open shots where he gets a lot of his shots and his FG% sky rockets to 58.2.

Klays shooting percentages would come waaaaayyyyyyyyy down if he had to shoot contested shots as much as others on his team or the others we are comparing.

Klay is a league leader in FG% on wide open shots and get gets a lot of them. He has very little pressure on him and can just focus on shooting open shots.

Again, I like Klay but I dont think he deserves an all-star spot. He doesnt do much for that team besides shoot open assisted shots.

Although if you had Hill, CJ, CJ Miles, Oladipo, Belinelli, Lyles, Lou, Mirotic or some others taking the kind of 3 point shots Klay gets they would be shooting higher percentages on 3s than Klay based on stats.

There is a also a solid argument against Draymond as well.

Durant and Curry are the reason GS is incredibly good this year and it is that way by a long shot. Years past should not matter for this year All-star game. Durant and Curry could be put on a decent D-League team and still be competitive and probably win the championship.

A lot of players can be first options and fill that role successfully, but for a player who could be a first option to do the unselfish thing and be a third option that creates room for other ball handlers and to defend hard is rare. You can see with a lot of those "Big3" ensembles this year that sharing a basketball is actually hard. The Wolves have problems to find and accept roles(First Butler looked off, then Towns for a while and now Wiggins), same goes for the Thunder, who are slowly starting to figure things out, but early season Westbrook was awful. The energy he could save on offense didn't translate into better off the ball movement and more defensive effort. How Boston will look once Hayward is back healthy remains to be seen, but I think it'll be a cleaner look due to Horford's versatility, Philly could easily run into issues there as well long term.

So he deserves an All-star for deciding to be a role player and be unselfish? He chooses to just shoot open shots and do very little to get in the way of better players so he should be an all-star over players doing a lot more to help their team win because they dont have better players?

Sorry, there are more deserving players. GS doesn't deserve 4 all-stars. They deserve 2 and maybe if there isn't much of another choice certain years or an injury sub 3.

Aren't the reserves voted in by the Coaches?

Are we to think we know better than them about who should be an All Star?