What's new

Gobert/Exum Summer Pick-Up Highlights

tenor.gif
Favors is the least sound shooter on the team (especially now that Gobert cleaned up his mechanics issues significantly) if you are looking at it from a mechanics perspective. More than anyone else on the team he will shoot on the way down, and it's not like he does it every time either. You can also see him aiming his shot more than anyone, resulting in varying release points.

Exum has a stiff shot motion, but he is mechanically sound most of the time. His issue comes more from comfort/confidence level taking jumpers and the whole having shoulder surgery thing.

This is backed up by FT%. Favors is the worst FT shooter on the team. Exum has been 80% his last two seasons played.

as some will know I am an Exum fan. What concerns me the most is that Exums shot is not repetitive. His release looks good but his form is ugly. that elbow sticking out is going to cause his shot to vary.

As for MVP and Cy the shot was short left. That is what i would have called if I was in the game. His rotation was good (Hence the comment his release looks good) that did cause the ball to remain in play but it was clearly to the left of center from where he was shooting.

If he had hit center it probably would have gone in.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVP
I liked Exums defense on Durant near the beginning.

Durant scores but there is no stopping Durant sometimes. Exum stayed in front of him really well and elevated and made the shot difficult. Against just about anyone else he probably blocks that shot.

Favors is the least sound shooter on the team (especially now that Gobert cleaned up his mechanics issues significantly) if you are looking at it from a mechanics perspective. More than anyone else on the team he will shoot on the way down, and it's not like he does it every time either. You can also see him aiming his shot more than anyone, resulting in varying release points.

Exum has a stiff shot motion, but he is mechanically sound most of the time. His issue comes more from comfort/confidence level taking jumpers and the whole having shoulder surgery thing.

BS. Exum's shot was ugly before the surgery and stayed the same. His release point is way to low and too infront of his head as evidenced in this picture, plus pay attention how much left palm he has on the ball - not a good thing either. Favors shooting form on jumpers is much better mechanically, thus better mid range jumper percentage than Exum. Just compare Favors and Exum form, day and night.

Dante-Exum-Utah-Jazz-NBA-Summer-League1.jpg

BS. Exum's shot was ugly before the surgery and stayed the same. His release point is way to low and too infront of his head as evidenced in this picture, plus pay attention how much left palm he has on the ball - not a good thing either. Favors shooting form on jumpers is much better mechanically, thus better mid range jumper percentage than Exum. Just compare Favors and Exum form, day and night.

Dante-Exum-Utah-Jazz-NBA-Summer-League1.jpg

No, Favors shoots better mid-range percentage because he is a big who gets more open catch and shoot opportunities and Exum is a dribble penetration guard. If you want to use any stat to gauge shooting form, it's FT%. It's the same for everyone. The only variable is the consistency and quality of your release.

You arent going to be able to prove any overall point with a single frame of a single shot. The only thing you have a real point on is Exum's shooting hand. He doesn't always get his wrist under the ball. The release point is fine though. It's not a low release point for a guard at all. He does push the ball out in front more than most players, but it's preferable to having a release like Favors that makes him prone to varying release points.

I'm not saying Exum's release if flawless, but people over-exaggerate his shot being "ugly" when it's just a bit unorthodox. Favors shot looks a bit more traditional, but it lacks consistency.

*Also, I dont know how what I said about surgery is BS. If you think his shot was ugly before, then having surgery would prevent you from working on your shooting. Shoulder surgery doesnt make your shot better and prevents you from working on it as much as you would want, which was my point you illiterate hack.*

You must be the most stubborn person to ever admit that you are wrong... never had guts to admit that you were wrong when I posted Mitchells dunk of one foot and now this? Are you seriously afraid to say, hey, my bad I did not see well... Big deal, really.
Even by what you are describing ball bounced way to the left of " your front of the rim".... That's what I was describing when I said his shot was not in line, had he hit front of the rim ( means shot in line with center of the rim) ball would have bounced to the right side of the rim, had he hit the back of the rim ( over shot) ball would bounce straight back to the shooter. Now he hit left side and ball bounced up. Like what the **** are you arguing about?

Cy is correct

Is this going to be a 10-page thread about whether or not Exum's shot hit the front of the rim? lol. Can't believe the things people argue about

Anyway, it was cool to see Rudy setting screens and playing defense like it was the NBA finals. He can't help himself.

I wish Exum had hit those corner 3s but he looked good. OP: thanks for posting.

Is this going to be a 10-page thread about whether or not Exum's shot hit the front of the rim? lol. Can't believe the things people argue about

Anyway, it was cool to see Rudy setting screens and playing defense like it was the NBA finals. He can't help himself.

I wish Exum had hit those corner 3s but he looked good. OP: thanks for posting.
It's August. We doing it big.

I liked Exums defense on Durant near the beginning.

Durant scores but there is no stopping Durant sometimes. Exum stayed in front of him really well and elevated and made the shot difficult. Against just about anyone else he probably blocks that shot.

Agreed

Exum has much better mechanics than Favors.
Apples and oranges. One thinks he’s a point guard the other is a big man. Why would you compare their shooting form???

My point is that Favors’ shot looked broken when he came to the Jazz but they fixed it. Exum’s shot has always looked awkward and I haven’t seen much improvement.

There are a few examples of NBA players with awkward shooting mechanics being good scorers, but they typically have a natural knack. Exum doesn’t have it.

Reactions: MVP
Apples and oranges. One thinks he’s a point guard the other is a big man. Why would you compare their shooting form???

My point is that Favors’ shot looked broken when he came to the Jazz but they fixed it. Exum’s shot has always looked awkward and I haven’t seen much improvement.

There are a few examples of NBA players with awkward shooting mechanics being good scorers, but they typically have a natural knack. Exum doesn’t have it.
Exum was one of the best rim finisher last year coming off major surgery.

Not that anyone cares, but I'm closer to Cy on the 2:28 Exum miss. Wasn't quite center, but wasn't all that left either. At least as on line as Durrant's 2:04 miss.

You like Buddy Hield, eh?

Is that Hield? I always did like him.

He looks a bit like Donovan in that video. Similar size and similar hair I think. I thought it was Donovan for a second.

Is that Hield? I always did like him.

He looks a bit like Donovan in that video. Similar size and similar hair I think. I thought it was Donovan for a second.

Yah, for half a second it flashed in my mind that it was Donovan, but of course Donovan is sexier.

What i took out of the video, at least to what was shown, yes we know Dante can drive and finish, but he hit a few off the dribble jumpers which was cool. Would've been nice if he hit one of those 3's.

Give Exum the ball! I want him to be greedy and drive the ball to the hoop more than he did (which had good results when he did it).