What's new

GOP Debate Threads

8 of 10 of those in that article are nothing more than conjecture. Guantanamo is a problem. Russia is a problem. Those are the only two that are even remotely more than an opinion from a right wing bias.

Also, bringing up the stimulus without bringing up the previous administration in the same sentence is completely irresponsible.

The measures that have been good:

Stabilized economy, not the high growth we saw in the nineties, but not horrible.

Lower unemployment. This is a bit skewed because of workforce participation rate, but if you want a job now, you can find one. In 2009, you couldn't.

Expansion of health care coverage is a net positive for our country. Even if it takes longer than projected. It is always a good thing to reduce the amount of people who do not have access to care.

Healthcare reform like covering preexisting conditions, covering children til age 26, lower cost for women's health and maternity, are all net positives for our society.

Pure conjecture from The Federalist? Who woulda thunk it.

So you're rating Nixon to the left for a health care plan that he didn't pass (honestly, I didn't even know he had one but I wasn't voting age at the time), and then rating Obama to the right because the far left health care plan that he tried to implement was partially blocked by republicans? You rate Obama on what he's actually been able to get through and rate the republicans on some random comment they might have made at some point? You don't have any problems with using such a system?

Reagan was very conservative. He spent a lot on military and ended the cold war as a result. Yeah, that was costly, but for a short period of time we were in a very good place regarding world peace.

It's pretty funny that people on the left would attempt to make the argument that Obama is mid-right, but I can absolutely see why they would do it. He's been a bad president so the libs want to claim that the problem was that his policies didn't go far enough.

I am not saying obama is conservative to say that I don't like him. I'm just stating it as a matter of fact. If you don't agree, that's fine.

The problem with your statements, though, is that you are looking at conservatism from a very narrow point of view. If you take a broader look, back to at least nixon, and probably a little further back, you will see that conservatism was more about pragmatism than being a bullheaded piece of turd like a lot of the new republicans are (cheney, rove, cruz, trump).

The thing that Americans admired about republicans like the first bush, reagan, ike, and teddy is that they actually got things done. They didn't worry about ******** like pleasing a conservative base or whether or not the founding fathers thought they were conservative or not (which is another argument all together, as lots of educated people view the founding fathers as far more liberal than the conservatives view them).

In my estimation, pragmatism is far more important than liberalism or conservatism.

8 of 10 of those in that article are nothing more than conjecture. Guantanamo is a problem. Russia is a problem. Those are the only two that are even remotely more than an opinion from a right wing bias.

Also, bringing up the stimulus without bringing up the previous administration in the same sentence is completely irresponsible.

The measures that have been good:

Stabilized economy, not the high growth we saw in the nineties, but not horrible.

Lower unemployment. This is a bit skewed because of workforce participation rate, but if you want a job now, you can find one. In 2009, you couldn't.

Expansion of health care coverage is a net positive for our country. Even if it takes longer than projected. It is always a good thing to reduce the amount of people who do not have access to care.

Healthcare reform like covering preexisting conditions, covering children til age 26, lower cost for women's health and maternity, are all net positives for our society.
You and I apparently have very different definitions of conjecture.

Your second paragraph seems to completely ignore that the section on stimulus began like this: "President Obama was elected in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis..." Clearly the author wasn't blaming the financial crisis on Obama, so I don't get your point.

You really think the "accomplishments" you point to are the hallmarks of a successful presidency? Not only could it be argued that you're overstating every one of them, but even if I ceded the argument that he actually did accomplish those things your words reflect what non-decisive victories each of them are.

Obama does not appear to be proud of America or American accomplishment. As such he couches everything he says or does in apology for who we are. When he makes a speech he often spends a significant portion lecturing American citizens on their behavior, often suggesting that average people are guilty of racism or nationalism or some other offense. His strategy is having the opposite effect that he apparently intends. That is not leadership. Many people are sick and tired of the apparent belief that our nation owes the world one apology after another. Unfortunately for all of us, this has created an environment ripe for the type of exploitation that Trump is proving expert at.

I was hopeful when Obama was elected. I've been extremely disappointed by the results, and polling shows that the majority of Americans agree.

You and I apparently have very different definitions of conjecture.

Your second paragraph seems to completely ignore that the section on stimulus began like this: "President Obama was elected in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis..." Clearly the author wasn't blaming the financial crisis on Obama, so I don't get your point.

You really think the "accomplishments" you point to are the hallmarks of a successful presidency? Not only could it be argued that you're overstating every one of them, but even if I ceded the argument that he actually did accomplish those things your words reflect what non-decisive victories each of them are.

Obama does not appear to be proud of America or American accomplishment. As such he couches everything he says or does in apology for who we are. When he makes a speech he often spends a significant portion lecturing American citizens on their behavior, often suggesting that average people are guilty of racism or nationalism or some other offense. His strategy is having the opposite effect that he apparently intends. That is not leadership. Many people are sick and tired of the apparent belief that our nation owes the world one apology after another. Unfortunately for all of us, this has created an environment ripe for the type of exploitation that Trump is proving expert at.

I was hopeful when Obama was elected. I've been extremely disappointed by the results, and polling shows that the majority of Americans agree.

It seems you are more concerned with public opinion of politics than politics.

It seems you are more concerned with public opinion of politics than politics.
Your comment makes no sense to me. Opinion is probably the biggest element in political leadership. Obama campaigned on "Hope." What is hope other than an opinion? If I was the only one who thought he was a weak leader then he wouldn't actually be a weak leader, but the vast majority of Americans agree with me.

Your comment makes no sense to me. Opinion is probably the biggest element in political leadership. Obama campaigned on "Hope." What is hope other than an opinion? If I was the only one who thought he was a weak leader then he wouldn't actually be a weak leader, but the vast majority of Americans agree with me.

This statement is rife with flaws but I'm simply too lazy and don't give a damn enough to point them out.

Keep doin' your thang doe, Joe.