What's new

I have seen the future...

And Tony Jones thought he played well too ...wtf I'm beginning to think i have no idea

About basketball? Life in general? Are you in crisis? Have you called Headspace or Lifeline? I wouldn't you'd be better off dead than dealing with social workers.

I'm really not worried. I think Exum ceiling, talent-wise, is something like "Brian Shaw with better outside shooting and worse playmaking ability" and I don't think he is ever going to reach it because of his injuries. He might contribute here and there, have one or two decent seasons (let's say 11 point/5 ast/2 to/42% from the field), but that's pretty much it. Sorry, but, to me, he seems fragile, somewhat soft, not particularly smart and devoided of a good shooting touch from any range.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shawbr01.html

Ya done gettin fried.

Dante with starter minutes could be very good. His shot may never be great but he does other things. Passing and defense will allow him to get baskets he wouldn't have otherwise. I see a lot of layups in his future.

I went to the game tonight... and Dante looks like a completely different player than he has in the past. He was aggressive, smart, and insanely athletic. If he ends up being the player we all think he can be... look out.

Stern knows.

Here's a simple reality. Our backcourt 5 years from now will be Donovan and Dante. They will be 25-26 and ideally hitting their prime. There isn't any superlative I can say about Donovan that hasn't been said already. 3 months ago we were talking about how his ceiling is probably Damian Lillard. We're not talking about his floor being Damian Lillard. What we need from Dante right now is very different from what we needed from Dante a year ago. To use the Lillard comparison, we do not want him to be CJ McCollum. We can see how even though both Dame and CJ are all-star level players, their skills and roles overlap and don't complement each other as much as you'd want. The Blazers are doing well right now, but they'd be much better off with a different kind of player in place of CJ.

I'm glad Dante isn't Donovan and I hope he develops into a different kind of player. We know Donovan will have the ball in his hands a lot 5 years from now. I want Dante to be a good sput-up shooter. I want him to be a hard-nosed defender who can cover every swingman from 6'4 to 6'9 because vast majority of NBA stars these days are at that height. I want him to be be able to create for his teammates and to provide play-making. I want him to be able to fill up a stat sheet in the AK way as opposed to the CJ McCollum way.

JimLes, my man!

What I saw last night was the beginning of the end for Dante Exum with the Jazz.......Mitchell came down as the PG and bombed shot after shot while Dante was in the corner observing. Also what stood out was the slow pace Mitchell brought the ball up ,it reminded me of Gordon Hayward walking the ball up last year.
Jazz are going to struggle to score in the playoffs. They've made their offense reliant on DM's (43%/33%),Crowder's(40%/33%)gaining minutes over Favors (55%),Rubio's (40%/32%),O'Neale's (39%/34%).Without Gobert's and Ingle's shooting ,the Jazz are a poor shooting squad.
Now you put Exum in as basically a 3rd PG in the rotation and have him run to the corner AGAIN and negating any of his strengths.I had hoped that Dante and DM would speed up the pace and transition of the Jazz ,but it's clear Dante has to defer to DM as he brings up the ball up the court ala Gordon Hayward.Same pace ,same speed,same lack of players able to create more scoring.
It's obvious Exum will be good but seriously doubt it will be with the Jazz who restrict his offensive potential and try to just pigeonhole him into a defensive player only.
I can easily see other teams seeing an opportunity to get Exum from the Jazz with just offering the freedom to play and create offense for their teams as the sweetener to get Exum's attention.

Hmmm. Interesting post. The shooting is a concern and Dante's shot isn't great. But he gives defense, playmaking and he can drive. Hopefully his shot improves.

I doubt Dante's shooting will ever be great, but he looked better last year than this year. I think right now his confidence in his shot is non-existent, but when he gets that back, he can be a fairly servicable shooter when he's set. Off the dribble, not so much.

What I'm seeing with his shot since he's been back, is that he fails to really get a good base setup under him with his feet. It makes him veer off slightly to whichever side he's kinda leaning to, which affects the shot.

Even the three that he hit against the warriors he was trending/slightly falling backwards, except that one went in for him.

I think it's definitely confidence and being nervous, not setting himself properly at the beginning of his shot.

What I'm seeing with his shot since he's been back, is that he fails to really get a good base setup under him with his feet. It makes him veer off slightly to whichever side he's kinda leaning to, which affects the shot.

Even the three that he hit against the warriors he was trending/slightly falling backwards, except that one went in for him.

I think it's definitely confidence and being nervous, not setting himself properly at the beginning of his shot.

I have never seen a player who is so wayward from the wings/corner on his 3s. So many of his attempts are way off line - not even just a depth perception issue.

Tony Jones just tweeted that he thinks the Jazz would match any offer (10 million was mentioned) but thinks the team and Exum will come together for a deal before it gets there. He says he thinks the Jazz are committed to Exum as an important long term piece. FWIW.

****, the chickens have been sold. Dante is legit as can be. Someone is going to offer him a big contract. He is so next-level on his power, explosiveness, speed and aggressiveness to even where he was in summer league. His shot may never be that good, but his speed is mega-elite and he plays smart.

I didn't expect this so quick. I'm giddy in a way I've never really been about a Jazz player to be honest, just because I didn't expect him to look so big and strong last night.

I hate when people toot their own horn. :)

But seriously, I missed the first two games and haven't seen the highlights... yet. Is Dante our title X-factor?

I hate when people toot their own horn. :)

But seriously, I missed the first two games and haven't seen the highlights... yet. Is Dante our title X-factor?

He is very good. I like what I see but need him to stay healthy... took two falls in the Kings game that worried me he needs more craft around the basket so he doesn’t have to sell out so hard on drives... or learn how to fall better.

He just has another gear and can now finish or pass when he gets to his spot. His spot up shooting looks fine... just stay healthy please!

He is very good. I like what I see but need him to stay healthy... took two falls in the Kings game that worried me he needs more craft around the basket so he doesn’t have to sell out so hard on drives... or learn how to fall better.

He just has another gear and can now finish or pass when he gets to his spot. His spot up shooting looks fine... just stay healthy please!

Well this makes him pretty deadly now doesn't it?

If he gets on a roll and gets some swagger going and so does the rest of our team we will be the best team in the league, IMO. I just wonder if guys like Dante and Favors can get that swagger? Joe has it, Donovan has it, Rudy has it, Ricky has it, Burks has it, Grayson has it, Jae has it.

Well this makes him pretty deadly now doesn't it?

If he gets on a roll and gets some swagger going and so does the rest of our team we will be the best team in the league, IMO. I just wonder if guys like Dante and Favors can get that swagger? Joe has it, Donovan has it, Rudy has it, Ricky has it, Burks has it, Grayson has it, Jae has it.

He has it already. He has looked very aware that he can get where he wants to and has been more decisive. He is in control. He is also the best or second best at throwing lob passes on the team.

If he stays healthy he's shown enough for me to feel comfortable with him being our starter if we had solid backup options. He can definitely start the blender.

I'd like to see him get a few more minutes, but think he's in a perfect role for right now.

To answer the question, yes, Exum looks like he could be a key part to our future. If we have a healthy Rubio and Exum for the playoffs, I think we have one of the best PG tandems in the NBA. Both can provide some offense and both can switch on D without giving us a massive disadvantage.

To answer the question, yes, Exum looks like he could be a key part to our future. If we have a healthy Rubio and Exum for the playoffs, I think we have one of the best PG tandems in the NBA. Both can provide some offense and both can switch on D without giving us a massive disadvantage.

Insane how this team is shaping up.