What's new

I'm Worried About Clarkson

I know a lot of people are down on Utah right now, but for the most part I'm not at all. I'm pretty confident in this team to step up when it counts. That is, I'm confident in all but one player.... Jordan Clarkson.

The dude has looked flat out bad lately. And not just miss/make bad, but not able to get past anyone in the NBA bad. Looking like Rodney Hood at his worst bad. The worst part is that I don't even think it's injury related. I think teams just have a much better scouting report on him now and the moves he had in his bag of tricks have become predictable for opponents.
I actually feel he's been looking rough for a long time. First half or so of the season, it felt like he never missed those small, weird floaters in the lane where he dribble for a while, then gets to his spot, then just shove it in. Since ~ASB, it feels like he misses those little push shots a lot more, and generally has a hard time scoring. If Mike/Donovan/Joe/Bogey are playing well, we probably don't need JC to be that good, but when they (some, at leatst) are off, he's the saviour. I want my real Clarkson back, please.

Not worried at all. If anything, JC actually exceeded my expectation early in the season, and now he's about matching it. Let's call it a regression to the mean.

Let's not pretend JC is some kind of unicorn that this league has never seen.

There have been same exact type of heat-check players like him in the past and there always will be in the future.

Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, Lou Williams, Terence Ross, Gary Trent, Malik Monk......

These are kind of the players that can shoot the lights out for 30 or 40 points on one night, and then can't throw into the ocean to reach double digits the next day. Their career highlights are just about as long as their career lowlights.

That's why they are paid about mid-level and switch teams often. Consistency just isn't part of their game. So we'll just have to take the good with the bad.

Furthermore, I'd much rather Clarkson along with a few others work out their issues these last few regular season games so that they are full HYDRA come playoff time.

Last edited:
I think Clarkson has a few nagging injuries - some we know about, a couple we don't. Remember he was playing with a cracked bone in his shooting hand for about a month before anyone knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if his ankle still isn't 100 percent.
I was going to mention i saw some interview on the jazz site about his injuries. My phone wouldn't play the video though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Even when Mitchell and Conley were playing Clarkson’s solution to everything is to shoot out of it. Nothing wrong keeping your confidence up and taking the same shots. What’s he’s doing is forcing up more and worse shots because he’s so desperate to score. That type of mentality can be really detrimental to the team.

Even when Mitchell and Conley were playing Clarkson’s solution to everything is to shoot out of it. Nothing wrong keeping your confidence up and taking the same shots. What’s he’s doing is forcing up more and worse shots because he’s so desperate to score. That type of mentality can be really detrimental to the team.
Yeah, but the issue is more than just make/miss like I said. He isn't getting nearly as many quality looks per game anymore.

Yeah, but the issue is more than just make/miss like I said. He isn't getting nearly as many quality looks per game anymore.
Without the Don and and Conley, he becomes the focus of other teams defenses, that has got to make it difficult to do the things he usually does, that and the consecutive 3s thing (I wish he would miss a game so he can settle down and just shoot instead of thinking about it).

Without the Don and and Conley, he becomes the focus of other teams defenses, that has got to make it difficult to do the things he usually does, that and the consecutive 3s thing (I wish he would miss a game so he can settle down and just shoot instead of thinking about it).
This was happening before those guys went down.

I think the more he misses, the more wild and desperate he gets. I think he is getting tougher shots but it's a result of self sabotage more than anything. Mitchell does the same thing.

I love JC and he’s given way more highs than I expected when we traded for him. Will ride with him through the lows. He may be the guy we move this offseason to help balance the budget. I think he is a little dinged up. Had the ankle and hand thing. Hopefully he can get back to the care free gunner who provides joy love and peace to Jazz fans.

I know a lot of people are down on Utah right now, but for the most part I'm not at all. I'm pretty confident in this team to step up when it counts. That is, I'm confident in all but one player.... Jordan Clarkson.

The dude has looked flat out bad lately. And not just miss/make bad, but not able to get past anyone in the NBA bad. Looking like Rodney Hood at his worst bad. The worst part is that I don't even think it's injury related. I think teams just have a much better scouting report on him now and the moves he had in his bag of tricks have become predictable for opponents.
It looks like you demotivated the kid. He is playing even worse.