What's new

Is Mark Jackson a good fit for the Jazz?

I think they underachieved in the regular season, actually. Almost every team goes through injuries. The exception in the WC was Portland, as only Aldridge missed a handful of games. But Clippers and Houston had almost as many games lost amongst their starters to injuries as did GS. Jackson's fate was sealed as the W's never challenged for the 4th seed and home court advantage. With 10-15 games left, they were still in danger of not making the playoffs.

But it is a case, much like it was with Hollins, of a team not reaching ownership's expectations rather than a reflection on the coach's ability. Jackson is a good coach; but he's arrogant and egotistical. He alienates the people around him. And you just can't do that if you want to keep your job...unless your name is Phil Jackson and you're winning titles.

Underachieved? No Bogut throughout the playoffs, no O'Neal in game 7 ...

Underachieved? No Bogut throughout the playoffs, no O'Neal in game 7 ...

Did you miss the part where I underlined regular season?

The feeling in the Bay Area was that the W's were a team that should CONTEND. But they started off slow and never threatened to gain home court advantage in Rd 1. Given home court, they likely would have defeated the Clippers or Dallas or Memphis. Jackson was on the hot seat by the end of last season. He's a difficult personality. When you've run one assistant out of town, try to fire another in front of players (without clearing it with the GM), alienate an NBA legend (West) who was hired by the owner to be a key voice in the front office, you're not exactly creating job security. Ty Corbin had a better chance of staying employed than Jackson did.

Can't say I agree based on the games that I saw GS play. All we know about those conflicts are what has been in the media -- it seems from all reports posted by players that they were strongly in support of Jackson. I think that management should've taken their comments more seriously.

You might consider by comparison that no Jazz players made such vocal supportive comments about Corbin.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. That goes for both.

Jackson is possibly the worst coach in the NBA. Tyrone Corbin would have taken that Warrios team to the conference finals.

Jackson is possibly the worst coach in the NBA. Tyrone Corbin would have taken that Warrios team to the conference finals.

Is GSW job a possibility for Ty? I think he could do a good job there as well. With a better bench of course.

Is GSW job a possibility for Ty? I think he could do a good job there as well. With a better bench of course.
I would love for the Warriors to hire Corbin, it would be a great opportunity for him. How many more future unprotected 1st round picks do we get from Golden State again?

Listening to Steven A Smith this morning made me sick. All talking about him as of course a close friend, and overall good guy/coach ugh... I never heard any expectations from W's management, but even I expected them to be better then they were. I think I could've guided them to a respectable record. Their starting 5 is stacked.

Listening to Steven A Smith this morning made me sick. All talking about him as of course a close friend, and overall good guy/coach ugh... I never heard any expectations from W's management, but even I expected them to be better then they were. I think I could've guided them to a respectable record. Their starting 5 is stacked.
They are stacked...If Popovich coached that team, they'd be in the finals. Jackson sucks...

Karma is a b*tch. Jackson has a HUGE ego and seems to think he is above certain people. You can have the players in your pocket but if you piss off the guys writing the checks then you find yourself out of a job. He did a decent job but considering people were predicting them to be real contenders ( I was never convinced) he can't cry about being mistreated (which he isn't).

Did everyone forget that both George Karl and Hollins got canned in similar situations. Both coaches argued with the front offices and both seemed to be pretty popular with most of the players, yet both got canned after winning seasons. Again don't mess with the guys writing the checks, it is their business and not the players or coaches.

The bias on this site against Jackson is unbelievable. They almost beat the Clipppers - now that is a team that is stacked, not the Warriors. Yes, the Warriors have a good roster but without Bogut they are very thin up front. With Bogut, I believe they would've beaten the Clippers. Ty is not in the same league as a coach as Jackson, not even close. But it's not that important for me to continue this argument. People on this site hate Jackson because of the problems he caused when he played for the Jazz, which causes their bias. To be honest, I think some of the points Jackson made about the team when he was playing for the Jazz were actually on the money. But probably it's the way he presented them that caused all the problems. I did see the post that said he wanted to take over the starting role from Stockton -- I don't recall that at the time, and in any case, Stockton was still a better player and Jackson had no business starting over him. When Jackson played, however, he did play well. I think people tend to forget that. Of course, their bias blinds them to any semblance of truth.

I think we could agree that he has been a good coach, but there are more sides than just their wins. A coach also has to work with management and it was clear that they weren't working well together.

The bias on this site against Jackson is unbelievable. They almost beat the Clipppers - now that is a team that is stacked, not the Warriors. Yes, the Warriors have a good roster but without Bogut they are very thin up front. With Bogut, I believe they would've beaten the Clippers. Ty is not in the same league as a coach as Jackson, not even close. But it's not that important for me to continue this argument. People on this site hate Jackson because of the problems he caused when he played for the Jazz, which causes their bias. To be honest, I think some of the points Jackson made about the team when he was playing for the Jazz were actually on the money. But probably it's the way he presented them that caused all the problems. I did see the post that said he wanted to take over the starting role from Stockton -- I don't recall that at the time, and in any case, Stockton was still a better player and Jackson had no business starting over him. When Jackson played, however, he did play well. I think people tend to forget that. Of course, their bias blinds them to any semblance of truth.

or the truth leads to the bias. Maybe you are biased against fans that are biased.

As to the Corbin comparison, I'm 100% certain Corbin could have coached this years GSW to a first round exit. I'm pretty sure coaching Al and Sap to a first round exit proved he can do that with less talent than GSW have now.

Read what Lacob said about Jackson. The problems are not with Jackson's coaching abilities. A quote from Lacob: "I think that the decision to not bring Mark back is not willy-nilly. There is a reason. There are reasons. I would say it’s less based on performance that is win-loss record and perhaps slightly more based on overall philosophy." Lacob actually praised his "managing down" and says he has a great relationship with players. Lacob's criticism is on his "up" and "sideways" management. Jackson simply does not get along with his superiors, colleagues and others in the W's organization - and that dates back to last season. Maybe Jackson is right and he's the type that "doesn't suffer fools." But to get away with that approach, you need to have titles on your resume; then you can stop talking to assistants, fire them at will, voice disapproval over West attending practices, etc.

https://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawak...ions-ownership-pressure-and-demands-and-more/

Last edited:
Wow, what I DIDN'T know about Jackson...
I know he's religious, obviously. But what I've read since is the W's actually had 2 team buses going to games. Half the team would head to Jackson's religious service first before games. The other half of the team would go to the game in a separate bus. This is much more than players gathering at midfield for a pre-game prayer (as happens in the NFL). I have nothing against players attending religious services. But to have those services be organized and held by the coach? I think many players would feel pressured to attend, even if they didn't hold the same beliefs - worried over playing time or future status on the team.

Imagine the outcry on this board if we had a coach taking half the players to the LDS General Conference. Imagine the reaction of the players' union.

Wow, what I DIDN'T know about Jackson...
I know he's religious, obviously. But what I've read since is the W's actually had 2 team buses going to games. Half the team would head to Jackson's religious service first before games. The other half of the team would go to the game in a separate bus. I have nothing against players attending religious services. But to have those services be organized and held by the coach? I think many players would feel pressured to attend, even if they didn't hold the same beliefs.

Imagine the outcry on this board if we had a coach taking half the players to the LDS General Conference. Imagine the reaction of the players' union.

Did the players and coaches that went to the service get more playing time and not get sent to coach in the d-league?

Did the players and coaches that went to the service get more playing time and not get sent to coach in the d-league?
Don't know. But the mere fact that a head coach is also holding religious services for his players is alarming and should be cause for investigation. Doubt playing time is affected; you're not going to sit a starter just because he's a "heathen' in the eyes of the coach. But it may very well have affected Jackson's relationships with his assistants. And it could be a factor as decisions are made over bench players going into each season (if Mark has a voice). IMO, there's a HUGE difference between being religious and even attending a pre-game prayer with any players who want to participate vs. being the one holding/conducting actual services as the minister and transporting players to those services.